The Book of Thoth on TV last night.

ravenest

Unexpected, interesting and amusing.

"What is this mysterious book'? Goes through ancient Egypt a bit as background. Then to the stage of Hermetics ... was this lost book of Thoth the Corpus Hermeticum ? That was a little interesting. Then various characters in the recent past that linked the tarot as a source from Ancient Egypt and as THE lost book of Thoth. Some stuff about Freemasons and how their rituals are Egyptian rituals ( :)) Then into Crowley and the Thoth deck.

Regardless of content I don't think I have ever seen so much Crowley and Thoth tarot on a TV programme before.

The guy that played him in the little cameo re-enactments that punctuated the story was great! :) They also enacted the reception of BoL , in the hotel room ... with spacy shiny light beams zapping around :) and many other 'curious' scenes and depictions ( three guys standing in a pentagram and looking very serious as the camera zoomed into an eye close up ??)

Then on to heaps about the cards ( one of those large size decks with the washed out colours was used) ... showing them and saying how they were ... or could be ... pages from the lost Egyptian book of Thoth ( hmmmm ) and then got into the Bol and 'weird religion' and how its 'promiscuous’ (ye – ees … O kay … ) and how it educated the Hippy movement (what! ) and that’s why they were promiscuous ( or something like that) … cut to : - crazy dancing hippies : those 3 guys in the pentagram again : gyrating hippy chick smoking a joint : vague humping (possibly Thelemite) naked bodies obscured by incense smoke etc.

It was quite a long section but then it went on to the conclusion that The Lost Book of Thoth can’t be 1 or 2 ( Corpus Hermeticum) or 3 , because .. or 4 Crowley’s Book of Thoth because (no, not because Egyptians didn’t have tarot cards but ) the Ancient Egyptians didn’t take drugs or practice promiscuity … :bugeyed:

Anyway, as I said above; regardless of content I don't think I have ever seen so much Crowley and Thoth tarot on a TV programme before. Anyone else see that?

Grigori

What show was this on?

ravenest

Sun 24 Nov. SBS 1 @ 7:30pm.
'Lost Worlds: Myth Hunters - The Hunt for The Book of Spells. ( Documents the hunt for the Book of Thoth.)

Zephyros

No :(

I have to go out, but will try through a proxy server later.... Can anyone download it ?

Spreading the gospel of piracy, are we? })

gregory

Spreading the gospel of piracy, are we? })

Not as such. I'd just like to watch it, and that might be the easiest way. WHY can it not be seen outside Australia - I never get that if it's on TV.... (I have yet to recover from that Father Ted clip that could be seen in every country except the UK - where Channel 4 owns it :confused:)

But my provider is not happy with proxies.... How long is the show ?

gregory

Well bleep.

I can't get into it with any proxy I have so far managed to use - and I don't want to pick a random one. Anyone know one that works (I'm in the UK at the moment...)

ravenest

Not as such. I'd just like to watch it, and that might be the easiest way. WHY can it not be seen outside Australia - I never get that if it's on TV.... (I have yet to recover from that Father Ted clip that could be seen in every country except the UK - where Channel 4 owns it :confused:)

But my provider is not happy with proxies.... How long is the show ?

I hr I think