The Byzantine Tarot

gregory

Does the listing on both Amazon and Bookdepos that states that it's a 160 page book include the deck?

ISBN 10: 1859063918
ISBN 13: 9781859063910

Otherwise I can't find any other listing.

Thank you
As far as I know the deck is not available on its own. But yes, that's the ISBN on the back of my set (cards and book.) The box, by the way, is pretty crap. Which is a shame. It's a lift top one and the cardboard is far too thin and is tearing at the corner already - and I've only opened it a coupe of times. A shame, as I LOVE the contents !

Serapis

Thanks for that info. Ordered! Nice looking deck.

Holly doll

It includes the deck & 160 page book, hopefully they'll do a stand alone deck soon...

Carla

I just ordered it. Very excited -- looks so attractive!

magpie9

Just got it today, like it very much. More about it later.

Carla

I just received it today, too! Lovely deck. Very pleased.

MoonGypsy

I just received it today, too! Lovely deck. Very pleased.

i also received mine in a wonderful trade yesterday, and i am also very pleased!
Gorgeous backs, too, IMHO. :love:

But i do agree with gregory about the box...it is very thin and won't hold up.
Pretty to look at, though...:p My deck has already gone into a much more
worthy deck home--a"Sulis" tarot bag.
And the book is on my shelf...i really look forward to reading it, though...

SarahJoy

Received mine today, and my initial reaction was disappointment. The deck simply isn't what I expected.

I had imagined gold-foiled mosaic artwork in the style of Ravenna or Hagia Sophia. Instead, the cards are paintings done in a Byzantine style. The graduated border on the backs and some of the majors is, well, just ugly.

Some cards have been renamed -- High Priestess is now Sophia; Hierophant is now Patriarch; Kings and Queens are now Counts and Confesses.

The deck is larger than most, and the corners seem more sharply clipped rather than gently rounded, if that makes sense. There is no tuck box or bag.

Now, it's time for me to spend time with the deck that it is, rather than the deck I had imagined it to be. It is a beautiful and a worthwhile deck; I just need to adjust my expectations.

Carla

I was let down at first, too, because I imagined foil, but I had no basis for that other than my imagination, so I quickly let it go. I am considering using my 5mm rounder to shape up the corners a bit. The cardstock is 'okay' and I find the size average for tarot at 13 x 7.5 cm (5.25 x 3 inches), in fact smaller than many of the decks in my collection. The deck riffles and bridges with ease, though the edges might prove a bit delicate for this, and if you want to avoid chips you might prefer not to do that. (I don't mind chips.)

I love the backs and I love the artwork, particularly the majors.

I was surprised by the elemental attribution switch of Swords to Fire and Wands to Air but it's an interesting notion.

Regarding the box, I was happy to see it isn't a giant tuck box with a central bit that pulls out, I really dislike those. I'm okay with this one because it has a lift-off lid, and it can always be reinforced with a bit of tape if needed down the line.

Overall I am quite pleased with this kit and will do a fuller unveiling of it on my blog. :)

SarahJoy

I was let down at first, too, because I imagined foil, but I had no basis for that other than my imagination, so I quickly let it go. I am considering using my 5mm rounder to shape up the corners a bit.

Don't bother with the corner rounder. :) I attacked mine with a 5mm rounder, and the difference is negligible.

I think we expected gold foil based on the card images on the box -- I don't know about you, but the only pictures I had seen of the cards was just a small photo of the box on Amazon. (wow, that's an awful sentence.) The cards on the box all have that "gold" graduated border, which often indicates gold foil. I wish they had used a solid color for those borders, like the rest of the deck.

The artwork is truly delightful, but I still have mixed feelings about this deck. I'm not sure I'll be using it often.