The Chariot

Jewel

What can I say about The Chariot other than OMG that man is gorgeous *LOL* ... no seriously, I really like the rendition of this card. The Charioteer is mentally controlling his mushroon seated vehicle flown by butterflies. One of the interesting things I noted is that the butterflies have cosmic eyes of brown, blue, green and purple. Associate to elements perhaps (with purple being spirit) ... emotion, intellect, earthiness and spirit working together for balanace. The circle of planets around his waist remaind me of the Empress' crown of planets ... I do not know what to make of this connection yet, perhaps nothing, but it just hit me.

What are your thoughts on the Chariot?

Jenny-Li

It's funny, it seems that very often I start working on my analysis thinking "Geez, I really can't figure this card out" - and then in the end I have to admit that SOME things I had figured out after all...! I don't know how much sense this makes, but here it is anyway...! ;)

I actually spent a lot of time thinking of this card the last week or so, since I spent that time On Tour, kind of. To be travelling does to me what movies do, only much stronger (and for longer): act as a catalyst for thoughts, ideas, inner connecting, tapping into energy-sources I never knew I had in me. And that to me is what the Chariot is about.

The Image:
http://www.stevee.com/images/t.mjr.07.jpg
This is an image I actually have a bit of a problem getting though. It's like I don't know where to start, where the "entrance" to the card is. But I guess that will change while I work more with the deck as a whole. The first thing in the image that draws my attention is the charioteer. The is sitting in a lotus position on top of a mushroom, which is the seat of the Chariot itself. In a wide circle around his waist there are a number of spheres, like planets or moons. He holds his hands over them sort of like a concerto pianist or a conductor - his pose is to me one of control and willpower.

Over his head hovers a space craft. It is beaming rays of energy to him - to me it seems like it is sending him a message, sharing information with him. Around the space craft there is an energy-field, that resembles rings on water. The sky behind the charioteer, beneath the space craft, is stirred, a little restless. There are traces and fractions of fractals, hinting on something eternal, but they are fragmented and therefore the image seems disrupted, almost a little noisy.

The chariot then: it is pulled by four butterflies, all of them with a pair of Cosmic Eyes on their wings. The colours of the eyes represent (according to the book) the four elements. Beneath the chariot, between its wheels (one black and one white), one can see the landscape that the charioteer is leaving behind in his strange vehicle. A castle of the well-known, a river of emotions taken for granted but never yet really explored, the rosy skies of childhood idealism and naïvety (sp?).

The symbols:
One thing that strikes me about the charioteer is that he seems extremely present - that is enhanced my the blue-ish/white-ish aura that surrounds him, he seems very much focused in his being. His mind isn't wandering from one thing to another, not trying to figure out what the neighbours are saying about him or what he should do or should not do next or something like that, he is just being right here, right now.

Also I find his gesture of control is less violent and forceful than in other Chariot-cards - he moves his hands like an artist in controling his movement through the universe. This softness contrasts with his strong presence - because that is where his force lies. That is the secret behind his strength and control.

The space craft I have not been able to figure out, no more than I mentioned above - that it looks like it is sending him a message, or some kind of information. Also the energy-field around it makes me think of how mere presence of "something" affects the world that surrounds it. But I'm not sure what to make of the space craft, so I'm not sure what to make of this either.

The uneasy sky to me represents the traditional interpretation of a fast-moving chariot, this is a card of fast changes, perhaps a little scary changes but none the less tempting, fascinating, intriguing... In most Chariot cards I have seen, the movement and change has been shown with the chariot and the charioteer themselves, but here I find they are the objects of calm and stillness in this image, and the movement is in the environment. To me that makes sense, and this is what I wrote about in the beginning: how travelling will set your mind to work, in completely different ways than otherwise. It's like our everyday life are shackles that tie our minds and spirits down - which is good and bad. Good because the storm of energy that hits us when we're travelling gives no peace, no rest, no room to make something out of the impulses we have received, bad because if we never break free from that we will never experience that magical presence that the charioteer has here.

It struck me the other day that leaving everyday life to grow on us for too long without ever questioning it, breaking a habit or two or turn into a different path every once in a while, it will actually start to grow IN on us. After a while there's no telling what is ME and what is the other stuff. I think it was Jung who called this the Persona. The character we build to deal with the world for us. But the personas aren't really our true selves, it's merely facades and surfaces - created for practical reasons, and should be kept for practical reasons only.

I saw the movie The Game tonight, and that movie is exactly what I'm talking about. The guy it's about is so tied up in his persona, he has lost himself. And it takes some force to throw him out of those surroundings he's built for himself, for him to be able to see that he is a lot more than the suit he wears or the papers he signs.

I wish all of you "class mates" a really Happy New Year! May we all learn lots also during 2003! :D

Light and love,
Jenny :)

kayne

Thanks for starting this thread Jewel - it was defiantely time. :) Actually, the Chariot came up in a reading for a friend today so it is very fresh in my mind, in context of a reading. :)
Jenny-Li said:
Also I find his gesture of control is less violent and forceful than in other Chariot-cards - he moves his hands like an artist in controling his movement through the universe. This softness contrasts with his strong presence - because that is where his force lies. That is the secret behind his strength and control.
I really like what you say here Jenny-Li. I agree and had not thought of it in these terms before, thanks for drawing my attention to it. Your detail is excellent as always.

I had trouble getting my head around the space ship too. I think perhaps I originally thought that it didn't really 'fit' with the rest of the deck, being so earthy and pagan. But i guess there is a spiritual aspect to the idea of a spacecraft. I used to think the space craft was controlling the Charioteer, which doesn't fit with my concept of this card. I now think of the UFO as lending him extra strength of will and control. Working with him, not using him like a puppet.

There are a few references to the RW Chariot in this card, such as the 'Golden Snitch' - winged golden ball, on the front. In this case it also has a cosmic eye... I am not sure of the traditional RW meaning of the winged ball but I guess it is to do with control and direction like the chariot itself. Any other ideas about this?

Have a great New Year Cosmic Tribers! :D

Jewel

Happy New Year to you too Kayne!!! and everyone else. I must go ponder on this card ~mubles something about looking at the card being a sacrifice ... then giggles~

faunabay

Jewel said:
What can I say about The Chariot other than OMG that man is gorgeous *LOL* ...
I have to admit this was my very first thought when I saw this card too!!! ROFL

I had a friend point out to me that the mushroom pictured was actually one of "those" kinds of mushrooms. You know the ones that take you on a "trip" *LOL* if you eat them. Then in the book it talks about how this was done purposefully to show that the trip does not always have to be physical, that it can be mentally as well.

Sorry but this reminds me of a story. *LOL* When I was in high school (many moons ago :D ) I had some friends in a band. Well they were playing out of town one night and some of us decided to take the drive with them. On the way there someone pulled out some of "those" type of mushrooms. ROFL Anyway to make a long story short, while the band was playing the lead singer kept brushing things off his arms. We couldn't figure out what was going on, so during their first break we asked. He said he had to keep brushing off those "little black men" that were climbing on him!!! ROFLMAO

Now I'm laughing too hard remembering........I'll have to come back to describe my thoughts on the card!!

RAVENAL

chariot

to me this chariot card represents the merkaba vehicle that surrounds our body...the vehicle of light and the light body...it is a star tetrahedron but has sphereical aspects as it is activated...the first phase of activation is the recognition of the godhead level which resides within us all...when it is fully activated we can travel anywhere... to any dimension/level etc...and it is the vehical we all come in on and will exit with...I see this gorgeous young man activating his merkaba...and the spaceship above his head is the merkaba vehicle ready to descend...a fully activated merkaba looks like a disk shaped flying saucer when it spins/activates...and many references call it the ship of light...the activation can be acomplished with a meditation as his yogic position suggests...and the butterflies are symbolic of the transformation which occurs as an individual recognizes the spiritual nature and potential within himself...his hand positions pointing downward to the earth as he flies above suggest the awareness he has of his ability to change his world/kingdom beneath him...as in the gestures of blessing and protection often associated with diety

the openess...innocence and nudity in all these cards to me suggests the true self...the god/goddess within as we truely are when we remove our clothes...masks...or the parts/we play in our everyday reality/lives...

great insights from all...just wanted to take this in another direction...and I see/sense these images as so spiritually descriptive...more so than any other deck...but I don't have alot of decks...I have looked at most of whats out there on the internet...etc...anyone else see this in this deck...?

Jewel

Ravenal, I had never heard of the merkaba or a stra tetrahedon, but with your explanation it really makes the card incredibly profound. Thank you so much for sharing this!