The Devil as a shadow card

Reed

I did my very first face-to-face reading last evening :) It was for a friend after we had dinner. I did a CC for a general feel of her energy then a horseshoe spread for her specific question.

I've used a shadow card (the card at the bottom of the deck after the querent is done shuffling) to fine tune the direction for my own readings with great success, so I used the same for my friend. She asked a health question (what would be the outcome of some tests that are being done). Well the outcome was 6 Rods (wands), so I told her that as long as she follows what the doctors say she should be fine.

Here's the kicker: I peeked at the shadow card while she was talking to me and got the Devil. When I pull this card, it usually tells me that whatever bondage that is going on is of my own doing. I didn't share this information with my friend, because she, frankly, doesn't view the Tarot as a tool for self-exploration.

Is it that the tests will be OK, or that she would be successful in making herself sick? Should I have shared that bit of info with her? I don't mind being direct when I do readings here at AT, because you guys can take it. When dealing with a layman, I'm unsure. She didn't specifically ask for a reading--I said something like, "I have my cards, I could do a reading for you..."

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

All the best
Reed

obsidian_queen

Actually I think the Devil here could be reinforcing the idea that the tests will be OK. At the very least I feel it implies that she has the power to overcome any difficulties that may exist. The Devil isn't all negative; bondage and sex games and such; it represents the material, what ties us to this earth and the strength of the physical - particularly that of the physical body. Most times it can allude to the strength of the 'flesh' i.e. hedonistic pleasures, but in regards to this issue, IMO the Devil is referring to her "systemic resilience", and saying that whatever the matter, she will be absolutely fine. :)

obsidian_queen

P.s.....

hey,
do these tests have anything to do with her bones at all? I came across some info once that The Devil has connections to the bones and basic skeletal make-up of the body.

BobTheViking

What deck did you use? In the traditional RWS, no matter what you say about the Devil, he really is in good condition. That dude isn't going to keel over from disease anytime soon.

That reading would be reinforced in the deck I usually use, the Gilded Tarot. It depicts the Devil as a fiery masked man in the absolute peak of physical health.

Reed

Hya OQ and BTK!

I use Morgan Greer. I guess that I have to get out of the habit of viewing the Devil as a "bad" card, and judge it by the surrounding cards. Other cards included were the Sun, Queen of Cups, the Magician, 2 Rods, so I can see what you are saying.

The tests deal with her reproductive system. She's been having pains.

Thank you for the clarification! Reading in front of someone is a really different experience. I can't walk away and think about the spread.

obsidian_queen

Reed said:
Other cards included were the Sun, Queen of Cups, the Magician, 2 Rods, so I can see what you are saying.

Hey Reed,
Those accompanying cards are powerful indicators of good health and resilience. The Queen of Cups would allude to the reproductive system issue, but the best Major Arcana possible for health occurs in that spread; the Sun - and that together with the Magician and the 2 of wands which both speak of immense personal power -presents a wonderful picture of vitality. I think she's pretty healthy...her reproductive system is most likely in perfect working order.
;)

Reed

Thanks again

Hey obsidian_queen and BobTheViking

Thanks again for your insight into the Devil card. I actually pulled this card in a reading for myself, and because I viewed the card in it's "grounding" aspect, the reading made a lot of sense to me and was, in fact, quite encouraging :)

Just wanted to let you know.

Reed

psychicbody

The Devil to me has always been a character that represented vice, wheather it is good for the person/situation, or not.
If this card was used to "direct" your reading, I think it may be telling you that your friend may be prone to straying from the doctor's advice and meander away from whatever instructions they are given. In this case, the direction may be taken towards eighther sex or their diet - both of which are common for a physician to advise about, with certain conditions.

rainwolf

I think of the hierophant as the Devil's shadow card--the devil has several postures similar to the H.

mythos

psychicbody said:
The Devil to me has always been a character that represented vice, wheather it is good for the person/situation, or not.
If this card was used to "direct" your reading, I think it may be telling you that your friend may be prone to straying from the doctor's advice and meander away from whatever instructions they are given. In this case, the direction may be taken towards eighther sex or their diet - both of which are common for a physician to advise about, with certain conditions.

While the over all reading seems truly positive, I had the same sense that maybe she is easily tempted to ignore her doctor's advice when something that provides instant gratification comes up. Examples might be mixing medication with alcohol, or having unprotected sex when she should avoid it. I don't know what the actual issue is of course, but, it sounds like it would be helpful for you to encourage her to follow her doctor's instructions rather than succumb to immediate gratifications. Mind you, the other cards suggest that, ultimately, it wouldn't effect the outcome, but it may make her healing process longer and less pleasant.

mythos :)