The Devil

Ambience

I've decided this card has alot to teach me...

Aparantely according to Tarot for yourself, it's my hidden factor card. My peronality and soul card being the lovers. So i guess for this year i need to get to know this card as it is based on the year. SO my favourite card for the year is going to be the DEVIL.

I feel that this year the things you could learn from the devil would be Discipline, how to free yourself, power, how to engage yourself effectively, how to see things clearly, passion, drive , charm and sex, these my initial thoughts about what this tarot card might have to teach us, rather than violence and slavery.. we can see this as a card of growth and freedom of expression. Anyone else have any ideas what the devil can offer! I'm going to do an indepth study of this card! It's a card that gives you the oppotunity to have freedom if you choose it, what a nice thought *smiles*.

Love *& Light, Janey xx

RChMI

caridwen said:
Anyone fancy getting into the nitty gritty of this fallen angel?
In the Rosicurcian/Masonic motiff that Waite wove into his deck, the Fallen Angel is XII The Hanged Man as Lucifer, rather than XV The Devil as Satan. In this regard, it is the supposed duty of mankind to redeem the Devil (Man having been redeemed by Christ) in order to restore Lucifer to the position of the left-hand of God that Lucifer occupied before his fall.

Fulgour

Waite got it Wrong.

RChMI said:
In the Rosicurcian/Masonic motiff that Waite wove into...
Arthur Waite (right there in his book, the PKT) says of the two figures
on card 15 that they are the two people from card 5: The Heirophant!

I think it helps (a lot!) to check the older decks first,
before placing too much importance on symbolism:

Click on: XV Le Diable Jean Dodal c.1700

And so far as that being a glyph of Saturn on the hand,
which I've never been convinced it is, take a look here
too ~ click on ~ and remember, Letter 15 is Samekh
and that's Sagittarius :) Capricorn is Letter 16, Ayin.

Parzival

Although Waite is not always clear or accurate, he notes that the Devil's right hand gesture is opposite to the Hierophant's hand gesture, correctly, and that the two figures are "analogous" to "those of the fifth card, as if Adam and Eve after the Fall " -- he meant the sixth card, from the main image. Alas, the Devil is in the details! Waite thinks of this Devil as "blind to the liberty of service." As I get this, the Force in this Devil is both dictatorial and animalistic, unable to live out of freedom and community, opposed to higher Human ideals, undermining of the Self in all of us. He is, then, we ourselves without Ourselves. We need him to see all of what we are.

Fulgour

Opposite or Complementary?

Frank Hall said:
Although Waite is not always clear or accurate, he notes that the Devil's right hand gesture is opposite to the Hierophant's hand gesture...
Zodiacal Correspondences:

0=1 Golden Dawn
V The Heirophant (Taurus) =opposite= (Scorpio) XIII Death

1=1 PRE-goldendawn
V The Hierophant (Aries) =opposite= (Libra) XII The Hanged Man

The Sun is Exalted in Aries, and Saturn is Exalted in Libra.
Looking at the Tarot cards themselves, 1=1 works best. :)

wizzle

Fulgour said:
1=1 works best. :)

0=1 sets up a harmonic vibration. 1=1 is a stasis but much easier to understand rationally.

Fulgour

hee-haw

wizzle said:
0=1 sets up a harmonic vibration.
All I hear is the sound of cash registers. :)

MikeTheAltarboy

(1=1) = (11=20)
That doesn't make any exta sense to me. The letters are related in terms of order, or not at all, it would seem. The values go astray after 10 regardless.
;-)

wizzle

Fulgour said:
All I hear is the sound of cash registers. :)

well... i guess cash registers work for some

Fulgour

Oneness Awareness

MikeTheAltarboy said:
(1=1) = (11=20)
That doesn't make any exta sense to me. The letters are related in terms of order, or not at all, it would seem. The values go astray after 10 regardless.
;-)
1=1 means Aleph is the 1st Letter and the 1st Card: I. The Magician.
:)
11=20 would compute as Kaph=Resh so it's (as you say) nonsensical.