The Fool representing suicide?

Jeanette

Has anybody had the Fool card represent thoughts about suicide? Recently, this card came up in a reading, and it struck me as an intention about suicide. All I could feel was, "Oh, don't jump...." It was in a Past position, so nobody jumped (thankfully) but obviously had been thinking suicidal thoughts. It was surprising and disturbing!

tarotlyn

You may be on to something there...that is why I usually do read the cards
from a simple "literal" slant. More often than not, it turns out that way...

You sound like an intutive reader.:thumbsup::)

lilangel09

I have not had the Fool come up specifically as so, but I believe a Fool can get very depressed at things not going their way...wanting to die or not-live rather than to live.

Thirteen

Jeanette said:
Has anybody had the Fool card represent thoughts about suicide? Recently, this card came up in a reading, and it struck me as an intention about suicide. All I could feel was, "Oh, don't jump...." It was in a Past position, so nobody jumped (thankfully) but obviously had been thinking suicidal thoughts. It was surprising and disturbing!
I've never had it come up that way, but thank you! I'm always amazed when very unique and new ways to look at a card, like this, turn up. I think it's very apt for the idea of not suicide in general, but suicide involving, as you say, that falling idea. Either jumping out a window, or off a tall building, or even taking that fatal step with a rope around the neck.

I think the suicidal feelings, too, match up with the sometime attitude of the Fool of not feeling attached to anything in this world, or seeking to be free of all attachments. There is a part of the Fool which is detached and has no connections with anyone, nothing to live for, as it were. The kind of person who is likely to say, "Why not? What does it matter?"

Good call.

Jeanette

The reading I was doing was for somebody who had been dealing with depression and anxiety and admitted to having suicidal thoughts. I had never viewed the Fool card in this context before! And the seeking to be "free of attachments feeling" does fit in.

balenciaga

Thankfully, I have no experience with suicide in readings, but I would describe the Fool as a feeling of carelessness about one's life; "winging it". Throwing caution to the wind. Lack of planning. Moving ahead without a thought about time or cost.
And lack of attachments is a great description; thanks to those who posted it:)

loobiloo

I've never thought of the card in this way either, but it does fit perfectly. Having always considered the Fool in a less serious way this is definitely food for thought.

mysticmanth

I see the fool as a very carefree person who can be very naive at times, and not to listen to others advice and just goes for what he thinks is best...hence the dog in the back trying to bark him back.
I havent yet seen it in a suicidal way but i understand what you mean x

Nevada

I've pulled the Fool quite a lot in relation to my little cat. She's almost six months old and waaay more adventurous and curious than I'm comfortable with. More so than any cat I've owned -- and I've heard too many stories from people of their cats and injuries due to curiosity. The Fool card prompts me to watch her like a hawk, for her own safety.

I suppose it could very well have to do with suicide, but I think I'd tend to look at it as an incident that might've been a half-hearted attempt (which can be just as dangerous as a serious, well thought out attempt), and that it can indeed result from depression.

Some people tend to be more careless or have an attitude of "who cares" when they're down, so it's possible there's a kind of blurred line between accident and impulsive suicide attempts that could be a very real concern and relate to the Fool. I would see the Fool, if it relates to suicide, as a more impulsive than well thought out one.

Nevada

minrice

Thirteen said:
I think the suicidal feelings, too, match up with the sometime attitude of the Fool of not feeling attached to anything in this world, or seeking to be free of all attachments. There is a part of the Fool which is detached and has no connections with anyone, nothing to live for, as it were. The kind of person who is likely to say, "Why not? What does it matter?"

Yes! Well said Thirteen! Good thread Jeanette, as I too haven't had the fool pop up in this way and its a good thing to consider.