The Gita Deck

Logiatrix

Does anyone here use this deck?
I'm just hoping to field some opinions on this set of cards, as I have just recently begun to use them myself.
Peace,
Tauni :)

zorya

ooooo, i love indian art!

couldn't find a link with pictures of the cards but i did find one with the box. http://shop.store.yahoo.com/masindia/gitdecwisfro.html apparently this deck was designed by several leading indian artists.

how are they working for you tauni? do they correspond well with the bhagavad gita? when it comes to tragedy and war, the gita is the book i first turn to, to help me understand and cope. i would be curious as to whether you find the gita cards comforting in times of stress?

darwinia

Even the Mandala Publishing website just has a picture of the box and no cards.

They are lovely big cards though at 3.75 x 5.5 inches. Tauni, what is the cardstock and lamination like please? Are they flimsy or just right? It looks beautiful to me, can you give us more of your impressions of the artwork or perhaps scan in a sample?I can't visualize how they add the text--is it done over the picture or in a separate box below the picture--can you talk about that a bit. Thanks.

Novato, Ca.- Mandala Publishing presents an unparalleled collection of India's art and wisdom in a visually alluring new box set. Sixty-eight indispensable verses from one of the most popular wisdom books of all time, coupled with ornate illustrations from some of India's finest contemporary artists (Indra Sharma, B.G. Sharma, Mahaveer Swami), make for an exquisite gift presentation.

This selection of thought-provoking and strikingly beautiful cards captures the essence of the Bhagavad Gita. With over 600 published editions of the Gita in the market, this bold and innovative offering adds visual grace and focus to a perennial favorite!

Specs: $16.95, card box (52 cards), 3.75 x 5.5, 1-886069-80-8

darwinia

I Still Know Nothing About the Deck

Sorry Tauni, I just saw this other book too by Mandala Publishing which looked like a nice companion book to the deck, but with different art. Just in case you might be interested:

Illuminations from the Bhagavad-Gita
by Kim Murray, Chris Murray, Kim Waters (illustrator)
Hardcover: 52 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.34 x 6.04 x 4.26
Publisher: Mandala Publishing Group; (December 2002)
ISBN: 1886069808

Review at Amazon:
" Illuminations is a timeless classic, July 15, 1999
Reviewer: A reader from San Francisco
In this age of digital consciousness it is almost impossible to comprehend how an artist like Kim Murray can draw these images in all their details and textures. The ornate and lush style of the illustrations are a meditation that one willingly surrenders to- a collection of mandala- like imagery that is a feast for the eye and the heart. The print quality of Illuminations is also extraordinary- this book is an incredible deal at this price!"

"Part of the gorgeously detailed, three-panelled Mandala Stand-Up Altar series, designed by Kim Waters, Buddha features a circular image of a Buddha meditating in a garden free-floating in a heaven filled with clouds and two angels. These lightweight, portable and durable icons convert any place into a sacred space. Intended to help you focus during daily meditations, these foldout works of art also make a splendid backdrop for icons, incense and other articles of worship."

It looks like you can remove them from the book and use them as altars or even frame them to look at for meditation.

Logiatrix

freesiaskye said:
They are lovely big cards though at 3.75 x 5.5 inches. Tauni, what is the cardstock and lamination like please? Are they flimsy or just right? It looks beautiful to me, can you give us more of your impressions of the artwork or perhaps scan in a sample?I can't visualize how they add the text--is it done over the picture or in a separate box below the picture--can you talk about that a bit. Thanks.
The card stock is like that of the better quality tarot decks--thicker and not flimsy, by any means. The finish is matte, and the edges are rounded. And, no NUBS!
So, imagine you have just gotten your eager, cartophile hands on this deck:
The box is quite ornate, of course. The back of the package promises beautifully designed cards (see freesiaskye's post--very simillar statement on the box). Upon removing the outer cellophane and opening the box, you see that the inside of the box is also decorated. There is a pamphlet on top of a stack of quality cards bound in a cellophane band. The pamphlet is a small folded page briefly explaining the Bhagavad Gita. It ends with the intention of the publishers to encourage further reading of the Bhagavad Gita. There is no LWB, but you will soon understand that this deck speaks for itself.
What you see as you sift through the cards is one beautiful image after another. Terms like "vibrant" and "jewel-like" come to mind. Each of the pictures fills all of one side of a card, with a narrow white border, and larger space of white at the bottom for the card title printed in black. Also at the top of each very colorful illustration is a band of sky blue.
On the other side of each card is the text, though it is still quite ornately presented. This side has a narrow border with the colors and patterns most predominant on the reverse side. The top of the card again shows the card title, this time in a band of gold with white lettering. The text is centered inside a white area, bordered by a decorative background frame of Sanskrit writing. The top of the text is the chapter and verse from the Bhagavad Gita. The next line is the actual text in original Sanskrit. The next line presents that same text transliterated to our alphabet. The last section of the card offers the verse translated in English. At the bottom of the frame is a small circular image from the larger illustration on the "front." After you read the text, it is difficult to say which is "front" and which is "back." As stunning as the illustrations are, the text is equally as vital to fully appreciating this deck.
:)
I am only just beginning to understand the Bhagavad Gita. In that regard, this deck is accomplishing exactly what the publishers have hoped; I have been greatly inspired to read the classic work, and learn more about it. It has been comforting in a way I did not initially expect, such as with understanding and coping, as zorya stated. Thus far, it is a beautiful relationship.
Peace,
Tauni :D

[Edit: Thank you, freesiaskye---> The book indeed looks like the perfect companion to this deck. :) ]

Kaz

could someone please upload some images, i would love to see some cards?

~kaz

darwinia

Thanks Tauni!

They sound quite beautiful. I was checking out editions of the Bhagavad-Gita. There are two really comprehensive volumes recommended but they each have 1000 to 1200 pages with original Sanskrit, English translation, and commentary.

1) God Talks with Arjuna: The Bhagavad Gita
by Paramahansa Yogananda
(I read his autobiography they tout in reviews at amazon many, many years ago.)

2) Bhagavad-Gita As It Is
by A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

Being a westerner, I didn't think I'd get too far with these but I found this other book which looked compact, comprehensible and still has commentaries. It's written for westerners and contains examples from everyday life that we can relate to.

3) The Living Gita: The Complete Bhagavad Gita: A Commentary for Modern Readers
by Sri Swami Satchidananda

Hey, I'm a modern person who is alive and lives in the year 2003. I find it senseless to pretend I'm going to understand something like this without someone relating it to the way I live, so this book seemed practical.

When I pick up my Leonardo da Vinci (if it EVER arrives) I'll see if she can hunt this deck up for me. I like to work with different things.

That's great information, thanks for posting!

catlin

Ohhh, I have just started learning Sanksrit and studying the Bhagavad-Gita so I see this deck as a must-have! Thanks for telling us about it.

Logiatrix

Kaz said:
could someone please upload some images, i would love to see some cards?

~kaz
I am very sorry, kaz, I am painfully low-tech when it comes to scanning and such, but I will definitely dig around for a site with images. As soon as I find something, I will post it here.
:)