The Illuminating Ancient Tarots

blackroseivy

I'd love to know more about this deck, I have the impression that it's historical, yet it has the name of an artist attatched to it (Sola Busca). Did it go on to influence other decks? It seems to me to be linked to the so-called Mantegna. Does anyone have any information?

DoctorArcanus

The Sola Busca deck was important for the creation of the Waite Smith deck (a few cards are identical).

A relevant thread on ATF is http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=32069

A good source of information on SB is http://www.geocities.com/cartedatrionfi/Fragments/SolaBusca.html

If you search for "Sola Busca" in this forum or on google you will find many more references.

Sola Busca is the name of the Italian family who owned the deck more or less a century ago.
I love this deck, and I am happy you find it interesting :)

Marco

blackroseivy

Wow!

Thanx so much for the links! I'd forgotten that it was the family's name - I saw something about it, but it was ages ago & there is, of course, NO info attatched to the deck itself, typical of Lo Scarabeo, such a pity! I will look into the info you have linked - thanx again! :)

blackroseivy

VERY interesting site, there! I think of this as a "variant" deck, of course, not truly "Tarot".

Huck

danubhe said:
I'd love to know more about this deck, I have the impression that it's historical, yet it has the name of an artist attatched to it (Sola Busca). Did it go on to influence other decks? It seems to me to be linked to the so-called Mantegna. Does anyone have any information?

Interesting judgment, why do you think this? Both are copperplate engravings ... which differs them from the most others. That's obvious ...

Anything else, what do you identify as similar in both decks? The Mantegna includes a Venetian doge, and the Sola Busca seems to be also Venetian (inscription with date). Anything else?

I'm really interested to know your argument here.

blackroseivy

I don't have any argument, really, I just wanted to find out about the deck... I was wrong about the Sola Busca name, that was a glaring oversight. It's just that the deck itself has no info with it. You have to look it up.

Huck

I don't have to look it up ... from our research there are slight indications, that both - Mantegna and Sola Busca - might relate to a creative group in the Accademia Romana in the 70ies of 15th century. Arguments, about which you surely are not aware of. So I was puzzled about your statement, which indicated a personal (probable optical) impression of a relationship between both decks ....

blackroseivy

Heh!

Now I see what you mean! Maybe I just don't really know what I'm talking about!! :p Seriously, I *did* read *something* about it quite a while back, & I coulda sworn I saw that mentioned... It was just the ghost of an idea in my head, which I wanted confirmed. Or dissed - whichever.

*I* need to look these things up, otherwise I'll never learn!