The importance of choice in a reading -

MysticalMoose

It depends how I am feeling at the time. I always take a few decks with me to wherever I am reading but some of the time that's for my benefit so that I can choose which deck I want to use when I get there... On other occasions I offer a choice of 2 or 3 decks. I always use the spread I feel is appropriate after hearing what the subject matter is (or isn't). I tend only to use a couple of spreads, a lot of the time I just use either a line of cards or a couple of rows.

KMilliron

Reminds me I was reading for this guy N once. I let him chose the deck and then I start by saying, "Okay, so spread-wise we can go with-"
N- "Dude, can I pick the spread."
Me- "Go for it."
N- "I don't know any."
Me- "Then I'll make one."
N- "You can't just make one up like that can you? That doesn't make sense."
Me- "Asking your ex-girlfriend's best friend to draw some cards out of thin air to help you out with relationship advice doesn't make sense either does it?"

I won that argument. If someone knows a bit about tarot then I'll give them a choice. If I not, I'll se what needs found out and sort of work from there, sometimes just pulling cards as I go along.

aranarose

magpie9 said:
I usually give a choice of a few decks that are in bags, so they can't choose by the deck's looks. I always choose the spread. When you consider that most people have to work hard to frame a question, how are they going to choose a spread, even if they wanted to?

I find most people are clueless when it comes to decks and spreads. They want a reading, and have no real clue what goes into that. "There's more than one deck?" LOL

I give them a choice of a few decks, usually only 3 or 4. Depending on the nature of the reading, I'll ask them to pick their favorite OR the one that makes them feel the most uncomfortable. Uncomfortable decks are good for digging deep into issues.

But spreads? They wouldn't even have a clue how to choose a spread, and it's not like it's all that easy to do a run-down of all the possible threads they could choose. I don't take spread books with me, I tend to use the Celtic Cross, a relationship spread, a three-card spread for quickies, or the "I just made it up" spread. And since I've found when doing readings for others that the themes tend to cluster, I'll often be using the same spread several times in a row.

Even if it were practical to carry spread books with me to readings, how would someone who's never even seen a tarot card know which spread is right for their question. "Oh, I have a relationship question, and this says it's a relationship spread. Let's use that one." All well and good, except for the fact the relationship question might be about the fact she thinks he's cheating on her, and the spread is about getting closer to your spouse! Not quite compatible with the question.

starrystarrynight

I choose the deck and the spread. I think that unless a seeker is familiar with tarot and a variety of decks, s/he just takes extra time that could be spent on the reading in looking over and making a deck choice. And ditto for a choice of spread. I do whatever I am most comfortable with at the moment--and often that's simply an intuitive choice at the time of the reading...and sometimes, it's just laying a few cards down from off the top of the deck with no specific spread in mind.

Grizabella

I've found that the people I read for usually don't care what deck I use, much less what spread I choose to use. They're there to get a reading and some even have trouble choosing a question. :p I just use the deck I'm currently using and pick my own spread, if I pick one. I don't use a spread a lot of the time. I just adapt it to the question the sitter wants answered.

Topsy

I agree with everyone saying that the querent usually doesn't even know of any Tarot spreads, and couldn't care less which spread you use. The exception is when I'm reading for my mum, who also reads Tarot. She always picks her own spread.

When it comes to decks, I'm quite weird - I only have two (I've noticed most people here have MILLIONS of decks listed in their profiles!) so I always give the sitter the choice.

The fact is, I know some people wouldn't be able to take a reading seriously if I used my preferred reading deck, The Fey Tarot, because, well, it has fairies in it. XD Others wouldn't be interested in the Pagan religions aspect of my DruidCraft. Since both decks have a strong theme, it makes sense to let the querent choose between them.