The InnerCity Tarot - Gonna give it a go.

Eco74

Great work LB.. Though the photorealism made me cringe a little. Personal preference. Don't like too much having actual photographed faces in tarotcards. Partially I think because photographed faces speak so much in themselves and take over from the card meaning..
As a smaller part of the whole, yes. But as much as focus as that, taking over almost the whole image... Not for me...

Going back to coloring and sketching and getting your "handprint" on the images brought it back to life for me. When you had added the girls face against the facade, it was like relief for me. Back to breathable air again if you will..

Photos as a source are absolutely amazing to use.
But I love it when your artistic flow comes through because it holds all the rugged and raw and speaks heaps more than the photorealism-experimental one does.
Atleast for me.. We all hear different voices I think. :p

inanna_tarot

oh I really do like the darker Fool LB! Man its bleak and yucky, can almost feel the sirens screaming around the city, could they be for him?

LOL i'm such a happy little rural girl that I think this creation of yours could play on my mind a bit - but surely there are some joys to city life. Though, my mind did just think of a rather grotty lovers card.
I really should spend more time in the sunshine :p

Sezo
x

Little Baron

inanna_tarot said:
Though, my mind did just think of a rather grotty lovers card.

I hadn't thought that far ahead but I just got a few grotty flashes after reading what you just said. Innercity Love.

LB

Little Baron

Not fabulous. But he did make me a bit emotional. Because I am learning. And he was just how my Knight of Cups always wanted to feel. When I come to doing all of this properly, I hope I can capture this mood again.

So here is the Knight of Cups.

LB

Attachments

• cups knight first attempt.jpg
    cups knight first attempt.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 341

The Hanged Man

Wow LB!!!

I've just read through this thread and I wish I'd been following it from the start!

I was impressed by what you did in charcoal and pastels. I admire anyone who can use these soft and messy mediums and produce something beautiful. I find pastels or charcoal totally impossible to work with to do anything. I liked the composition of your original pastel picture, the way that the eye and the eyebrow fit neatly into the triangular space between the cap. He seemed a bit feminine?

The photographic computer image didn't contain as much of your soul. Computer imagery sort of dilutes the spirit that is conveyed between you and your creation, there is an artificial intelligence coming between.

I must say however, that your 'firstattempt22' image is brilliant! Absolutely perfect, even thought this isn't the one that you settled on, I prefer this to the darker one, the one with the blue eyes conveys the grittiness of his environment and his culture, but yet he is so very attractive, and not as feminine as the original pastel drawing, he looks like a lad - and is most sexy -but that's my twisted sexuality for you - lol :grin:

The Knight of Cups is rather delicious as well, and so inviting.

There is a thread that I started concerning the sexiest Tarot cards. I'll just have to link up to these two. :)

I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve, I want a copy of this deck already!

I spent my childhood growing up in council areas, in the sort of culture that you are depicting, and I know what it's like to live in high rise council blocks - an' it's even grimmer up North! So I'm really interested in what you're doing. A Tarot of this nature would seem so incredible, yet I can really see you making a success of this. I eagerly await your future creations.

Just a suggestion - have you considered turning his ciggy into a joint? I just think that it would be the icing on the cake.

What ideas are in mind for other card creations?

Little Baron

Oh, thanks HM.

I was starting to think that nobody shared my enthusiasm for the latest creations. But your words match how I feel inside.

I understand what you mean about the difference between the two 'fools' (or 'dopes', as I have been calling them). I prefer the colouring on the one you mention, but added the latter one just because I liked the shadows that emerged in it after a little manipulation. I may very well try a combination of the two, taking the best elements from each. And yes, a joint would be appropriate. And there will be many, I imagine. For him though, as 'The Dope', a virginial unlit cigarette seemed right. Maybe a rolly would be better.

The Knight of Cups is always the one I look out for in a deck. I don't even know why, but I do. If he is not how [I see him], then I often can not work with the pack. And as this one emerged from the darkness in his grim little bathroom, I could really 'feel' him. There is real warmth and sensitivity to this guy - the fact that he is submerged in the water. He is part of this world but just on the edge. There is something that makes him just a little different from the others. His 'edge' is just a little more refined than what I expect from a lot of the others. And as someone else said, once again, there is this pain within him. Something behind the eyes. Maybe it is hope.

When I put the deep purples into the knight (they look sumptuous printed), the darkness actually made me jump a little. It looks like the inside of some deathly public lav.But it also made me flutter inside. I wondered if all of the cards should be dark. I don't know. I shall see. But right now, it feels as though they should. A real deck for the night-time. And regardless of the disturbing side of this, there is something quite sexy about it. I agree. I also see an attractiveness in both guys. Maybe it is that they are unobtainable or a challenge. It is almost like peering into the knight's bathroom without his 'say-so'. It is quite an intimate card, I feel.

Your post really got me excited about my work again. Thankyou so much. I hope you will continue to post here and let me know your views. Also, any insight about the subject matter, since you have experience, would be immensely appreciated.

All the best, LB

Eco74

There's something about baths that really make that knight of cups a good representative of the card.

After all, to really enjoy a bath, one has to sometimes (especially in an inner city setting) force out the distractions and really claim the time for feeling, thought, immersing... And the image is so calm somehow. So intimate and yet so inviting...

Oh, how I miss having a bathtub. *sigh*

The Hanged Man

I may very well try a combination of the two, taking the best elements from each.

I thought that if you took the blue eyes and the peach fag-end from the original, instead of the pink and put these elements into the second one with the darker background, then this would look good. Perhaps the eyes could be green, they would still look natural, but give a more 'creature of the night', vampirish quality. Just my thoughts.

The Knight of Cups is always the one I look out for in a deck. I don't even know why, but I do.

The Knight of Cups is an important one for me too. I consider myself to be the Knight of Cups.

....as this one emerged from the darkness in his grim little bathroom, I could really 'feel' him. There is real warmth and sensitivity to this guy - the fact that he is submerged in the water. He is part of this world but just on the edge. There is something that makes him just a little different from the others. His 'edge' is just a little more refined than what I expect from a lot of the others.

This is exactly what I like about this creation.

When I put the deep purples into the knight (they look sumptuous printed), the darkness actually made me jump a little. It looks like the inside of some deathly public lav.But it also made me flutter inside. I wondered if all of the cards should be dark. I don't know. I shall see. But right now, it feels as though they should. A real deck for the night-time.

It would be really good to have all the cards set at night, for uniformity, but also because it would suit the gritty yet darkly sexual theme that I sense from the first two ideas. Which cards would you set outdoors and which indoors? Perhaps the Majors outdoors, as they are macrocosmic and influences which are more worldly and have inevitable influence over us, which shape us and define the boundaries that we must act within. Perhaps have the Minors set indoors, because these are more microcosmic, personal influences, which we shape and define ourselves? The Majors could all have the tower blocks in the background, the Minors would have perspectives from the inside, so we get to see things both ways. Sorry to be so bold as to make these suggestions, but you have me inspired.

And regardless of the disturbing side of this, there is something quite sexy about it. I agree. I also see an attractiveness in both guys. Maybe it is that they are unobtainable or a challenge. It is almost like peering into the knight's bathroom without his 'say-so'. It is quite an intimate card, I feel.

It is intimate - yet he doesn't seem to mind.

It seems to me that he is sat in the dark because his electric meter has run out, and he has no money for an electric card, but as he had enough hot water left for a bath, having nothing else to do without electric, he decided he might as well have a bath. You see I can get stories out of these images, which is why they would work so well as a Tarot. I never would have thought that a Tarot like this would have worked but you are making it seem very feasible. ;) What else is attractive about them is that they are vulnerable.

How about names? Would he be 'Knight of Cups', or 'Something of Something-else?'.

Also, any insight about the subject matter, since you have experience, would be immensely appreciated.

I couldn't help having ideas about other cards. Might The Devil be a copper or a 'pig', the arch-enemy? The Tower would be an easy one of course. I remember someone telling me that in the block where I usd to live, there was a guy who jumped from the top on Christmas day. A jumper from a block would make a good Tower card. Would the Hanged Man be a heroin addict in oblivion, suspended between the harrowing confines of his reality and some sweet elsewhere?

inanna_tarot

LittleBuddha said:
I was starting to think that nobody shared my enthusiasm for the latest creations. But your words match how I feel inside.

Just had to reply to this!

Its not that I dont share you enthusiasm, because anyone that has the inspiration and courage to create something and share it on here definately deserves a pat on the back/pint etc.
Just, for me, the subject matter is very 'different' and almost foreign to me, country bumpkin girl that I am. I went camping down in sussex the other week and we drove through Birmingham and I was staring at those HUGE tower blocks. I've seen them on telly but not in real life. Oh and aeroplanes - strange metal birds in the sky completely freak me out lol.

What I'm saying is that you are getting me thinking about another way of life - the good the bad and the ugly.
So thank you for putting your stuff here, getting me to ponder and think and challenge some of my ideas :)

Sezo
x

Sophie

I love that knight of cups, LB. You are definitely going in the right direction with this. The bath was inspired!