The Jean Dodal deck: High resolution scans

Bernice

eltarot78 said:
Hello Bee, as you said, near the end of the year but the Chinese New Year:) 02/14/10 I have to travel soon to a larger city to find printers that can print larger role, A0 (Ideally) or A1 or A2, Super A3 sheet is very satisfactory to me in connection with the texture, weight and quality, but it gives me a great waste of paper and actually increases costs.
Each time, the closer:)
Oh dear! I do hope you find a good (reasonably priced) printing firm who will be able to mimimise the paper wastage for this deck.

I'm pleased that the cards will not be too big a size, I have small hands...

Bee :)

Yves Le Marseillais

Dodal dimensions

eltarot78 said:
Hello Bee, as you said, near the end of the year but the Chinese New Year:) 02/14/10 I have to travel soon to a larger city to find printers that can print larger role, A0 (Ideally) or A1 or A2, Super A3 sheet is very satisfactory to me in connection with the texture, weight and quality, but it gives me a great waste of paper and actually increases costs.
Each time, the closer:)

Hello again Pablo ElTarot,

Here is below some Forum exchanges I had few weeks ago.
It will feed you about real Dodal originals (British Museum and BnF Paris) dimensions.
And my opinion on this point plus round corners.

Felicitation for your hard job and remenber that I am on your list for a full deck.

Yves le Marseillais

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand
Bonjour Yves !

What puzzles me are the overall dimensions from the Schreiber catalogue ; the ratio is over 2 when all other converge around 1.8 - so either the Brittish sample has unusual margins, either the measure was a mistake in the first place ? I feel we should stick to "Tarot, jeu et magie" catalogue dimensions which sounds more accurate.

For inner dimensions, Flornoy's 2009 and Dusserre (following your measurements) share the same ratio of 1.8 once again, which also fits this sample from the BNF (freely accessible) whose rulers' accuracy is unknown :

very roughly 118x64 mm. Everything sounds pretty consistent ! (sorry I blurred the picture not to infringe any copyright)

Margin were not consistent with the time, so we can't know precisely what were the dimensions : cards with a very used margins may have been cropped to all fit in a new smaller dimension. We can't even check, for decks so rare as Dodal, the original and wanted dimension of the cards from the molds as we don't have any sufficient data to make any conclusions. Margin size is anyway a detail that we can approximate and adapt to today's productions constraints.

That being said, having bad eyes, I don't mind if cards are slightly bigger so I don't have to use a magnifying glass.

Bertrand

Bonjour Bertrand,

Thanks for this info... That I did not remenbered !!
Yes this is possible to make some extrapolations of this XII card picture via Photoshop

I made it and by carrefully measuring it on my screen, I was able to find nearly exactly what is mentionned in our BnF source: catalogue Tarot Jeu et Magie 1984.

I founded:
Image size Height: 123.7 mm and (black line to black line) 113.6 mm
Image size Wide: 65.6 mm and (black line to black line) 61.3 mm
On Catalogue 1984 measures are:

Image size Height: 123 mm and (black line to black line) NIL
Image size Wide: 66 mm and (black line to black line) NIL

So, thanks to your help, I am now able to:
Be sure that both Dodal originals (British Museum and BnF Paris) are:

Bigger than Dusserre Dodal.
Smaller than all Flornoy Dodals versions for Height
Smaller than Flornoy Dodal Industrial Version 2009 for Wide.

As I wrote on my previous thread it is really a pitty not to have EXACT restorations (or better said attempts of restoration) and not only for size unfortunatly.
I think about colors i.e Red and Light Blue that I would have prefered more deep for red and less "grey" for Light Blue. On Flornoy Dodal 2009 Full deck.
But "Les Gouts et les Couleurs" as we says in France are variable and I did not saw yet BM and BnF originals to speak too much about colors subject.

I am myopic and use binocles but as you may knows myopic people see much well on closer things and I don't need to increase my Tarot decks up to a Visconti Sforza standard size. Ha ha !!
My hands are Normals sized. As Rafael our "non boxer" tarot amatore.

Re margins, my personnal taste is to get Tarot of Marseille decks NOT rounded as Flornoy Dodal handmade feb 2002 edition for exemple.
This solve problem of increasing margins as to get rounded corners and preserve rectangular symbolic shape of tarot cards.

I have to say that by looking carefully on Dodal size, shape and details, I was very surprised to discover that this deck is NOT a big deck and looks just a little bit bigger than usual Tarot of Marseille decks.

Salutations,

Yves le Marseillais

eltarot78

Bernice said:
Oh dear! I do hope you find a good (reasonably priced) printing firm who will be able to mimimise the paper wastage for this deck.

I'm pleased that the cards will not be too big a size, I have small hands...

I'm afraid that will only be about 4mm smaller in most cases, than the Jean Claude Flornoy Dodal, , it is much smaller, just like the Dodal, but fondly are shuffled well. Since the beginning of my participation in the forum, comment that I am somewhat obsessive maniac.

Yes Yves, between 123,7mm through 127,2mm (black line to black line)
and 65,6 mm and (black line to black line) 66.3 mm
Each image has its own dimension, were made by hand and do not follow any rules iram, even beyond the divine proportion or the number of gold Fibonacci,
but they nonetheless have a harmonic proportion.

Do not worry, the first copy of the numbered series, and has to Marseilles, the capital city of Tarot.

Bernice

Hi Eltarot78,

I don't want to rush you. You said you were an obsessive maniac :) for getting everything *right*, but can we know how is the deck coming along?

Good wishes coming your way.....

eltarot78

I hope I make it long with waiting, sorry

Hi Bee, I modified the whole deck, then you add shadows.

Finalizing details of printing, UV lacquer, means of transport, packaging, etc..

Will soon have ready a limited edition of 78 sets of "78 cards", only for collectors.

Bernice

Will soon have ready a limited edition of 78 sets of "78 cards", only for collectors.
I'm a collector! But....... I would also like to use the deck, shuffle the cards (gently) etc. So I hope the cardstock will be up to it (?)

Please give a clue as to what the cost might be. I may probably need to save up!

Bee xx

eltarot78

yess

Hello everyone, long time, excuse Bee by the delay in response, only had that until I was ready all the details fully working "around".

I present the Deck as it reached your hands. In wooden box to be able to tolerate well the trip.

To be able to reference the dimensions of the deck I put in this photo of the Dodal deck of Flornoy left, mine in central, and Jodo-Camoin to right.

Dodal Flornoy...........................................Dodal Robledo..........................Jodo-Camoin

The weight of paper used is 300grs, with a cover OPP MATE, similar to plastic but mate,
that protects cards and allows a smooth glide in the shuffle.

really satisfied, the strokes, colors, paper quality, design, all :)

Because it is a independent edition for the best price you get is a €48 (the price is without shipping cost).

Shipping costs, as I reside in a small town and not reach a satisfactory agreement with any private mail for international shipping, must be performed by "Correo Argentino" Argentina post .

There are two shipping options.

1- The cost of EMS package is €30,88 and takes between 4 and 8 days, with follow-up 100% assured delivery.

2- The other, according to what I said in the mail, is something to ascertain the compatibility of the system's mail sender with the "Correo Argentino" and is express small package of € 12,36 + € 1,90 the notice of receipt, as this system is not 100% sure, because it lacks monitoring and takes approximately 14 days .(only if the local mail system is compatible with the Argentine, who wants this option, you should use your local post office and ask, so we would be trying to ensure delivery).

If you are interested, call in advance so the prepared to order, since the processes, printing, lacquering, and the boxes are separate (but in less than a week all ready to send, only would wait for the postman).

Regards
Pablo

Bernice

It's DONE! Wonderful! And a wooden box too.

Pablo, I do hope you can hold on to a copy for me - it works out very expensive, I will have to save up. But I expect it has been expensive to produce it as well :).

Because it is a independent edition for the best price you get is a €48 (Free shipping, of course).
Do you mean that the shipping/postage is included in this price of €48? (to the UK?).

Beautiful deck :love:

eltarot78

Ohhhh, my English, I and the translator of google.

sorry, the deck is € 48, shipping is extra.

How fortunate that the photos is to your liking, wait to see him in the candlelight.

Bernice

Do you have a picture of the back design Pablo?

Bee