The K's Deck

ItstheK

It's the K's deck! haha...

Three pictures, the Priestess, Hanged Man, and Star, I present. And just so you know, the Star is a child sitting on someone's shoulders, not...something else. There was an issue when I posted it elsewhere.

Mods, feel free to edit this post and its images as you see fit. Couldn't find ruless specifically geared toward image posting.

Priestess.jpg

HMan.jpg

Star.jpg

Crits and comments are welcome! Presently working on the Chariot, Empress, Art, and Lust. I've finished Fortune and the Tower also.

minrice

The High Priestess is lovely! You seem to be able to draw hands very well too.

As for the Star...lol, I can understand the "other" interpretation, though to be honest I didn't see the other person at first. They disappeared into the background. Why is the other person as dark as the background?

ItstheK

Thanks very much! I like her too.

The main point of the star card was the star herself, dissolving into the universe to give mankind light in darkness. The shoulders she's sitting upon are those of the night itself (or something like that). The focus of the card wasn't on the other person; that was just a minor detail, really, it was instinct, and I think it grounds the Star; I'm having issues at present getting her siblings on paper, though I'm much closer to getting the Moon done than the Sun. Stupid older brother; why does your pose have to be so difficult?!

Alta

Hi ItstheK,

You assuredly are more than welcome to post your images for comment, discussion or just to display proudly.

Looking good!

Alta
Moderator, Tarot Deck Creation

Alta

I find your takes original and interesting.

I have never seen a High Priestess with a sword before, could you share your thoughts? I would like to understand.
Alta

ItstheK

I used two resources in creating my cards (two websites for inspiration): Thee Dark Oracle (http://www.shadowtarot.net/tunnels_of_set.asp) and Angel Paths (http://www.angelpaths.com/tarotl.html). I don't look at the pictures; only read the descriptions. Personally, I don't like the aesthetic of the Dark Oracle deck, but the descriptions are lovely.

I saw her as a very strong woman, the sort you definitely do NOT want to cross. I used the sword to portray this strength, but it's in a passive position because she is more of a guardian. She holds the power to mask or unmask, hence her position related to the mask. Behind it is Truth, and it is the Priestess's job to say whether it will be revealed or concealed. The sword is used to help protect the mask from any that would try to move it by their own will.

I'm not really sure why I include many of the elements I do; the idea occurs to me and I draw it. I know what the things symbolise (except if it's just meant to be pretty, like the colors of the priestess's robes), but I don't say, "You know, I want her to have a sword", in general. Though, I DID know I wanted Lust to be with a lioness, as she is. Just the first three shots weren't that effective. Speaking of which, I need to finish her... I'll try to finish her tonight and scan my Lust (Strength, in light decks) tomorrow.

ItstheK

As promised, new pics, but these had to be taken with my camera. The first is Fortune, the second the Tower. For Fortune, I used a combination of the Dharma wheel, the wheel of life and death (Circle of Life, I suppose) and various symbols of life and death. The hardest symbol to fill in for me was the Tree of Life, since I had another symbol in mind, but it looked too much like the Ankh I had already used. I think my sphinx may need a little more work, but overall I'm very satisfied with what I did. Note the lotus.

Fortune.jpg

The Tower was what made me first decide to draw my own deck. This I drew before I used websites as reference. The inspiration came upon me to draw a dragon wrapped around a tower in flames, and to do so in charcoal, and thus my Tower was born. Looking back on it, it's very dark (in color, surprisingly not in feel) and I would like to lighten it up a little. Might go over it in white pastel, or I might leave it. I like the feel, even though it's hard to distinguish shapes somewhat.
Tower.jpg

liminal_k

I like the idea of going over bits of the tower with a bit of white charcoal. It is a beautiful card already and I agree that you don't want to lose that feel!

A small concern, I worry that using charcoal for only some of the cards will create an awkward consistency.

Good work, I look forward to seeing more!

ItstheK

Thanks for the feedback!

Here's two more; my Fool and Magus, in watercolor

The Magus, doing her thing:
magus.jpg

The Fool, laughing at mortals as he sits on stormclouds.
Fool.jpg