The Lovers relationship outcome?

Libra289

I understand The Lovers represents choices and opposites, but can it ever mean a loving relationship or union? I usually get a feel for cards, and as soon as I placed the card something was telling me 'important union'. Could it mean that the universe has made way for these two people to be united, or is it more likely to represent choices alone?

Thank you in advance :)

rwcarter

I tend to see the Lovers as choice, but it can also mean union. And if the card has RWS-ish imagery, the angel above could be seen as indicating a fated union. Go with your gut instinct.

ETA: Fixed typo. "guy instinct" indeed! :laugh:

aliceinwonderland

Hello again!

Yesh, I do see it as both. Choice to enter relationship or not, and also a couple getting together. I've read under no formal/official fashion, and even a union where there's physical attraction and fate. As in brought together to learn a lesson. As lovely Rodney mentioned, choose what your heart tells you signifies. And remember looking at the other cards is equally important.

Mwah :heart:

Jampa

As Rachel Pollack writes in "Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom", The Kabalistic archetypes of choice and union are also joined by meanings which may indicate "the importance of love in a person's life" and "that the particular relationship has been or will prove very valuable to the person, leading them to a new understanding of life." Just as the hermit may indicate a teacher or guide, so too can the lovers indicate emotional support or guidance. As always, the context in which the card appears and the nature of the question will determine the appropriate meanings.

As others have stated, going with your gut is always a great idea. The cards are here to guide your own intuitive abilities. If you have a strong feeling that the cards are telling you something, I would invite you to trust them!

Grizabella

Trusting your intuition is one thing but just wanting to see a fated union or soulmate union or love in that card isn't the total answer. There are three people in the card in most decks unless the deck creator wanted to cut out the 3rd person so the card would always mean a love union. The third person could even signify that there's to be an arranged marriage depending on the culture. Or it could mean a love triangle if the 3 of Swords and one or two others show up.

Also, the way I read, I usually have to see other cards in the spread that would point to a love relationship, like 2 of Cups, Hierophant, Ace of Cups, 10 of Cups and sometimes some others. However, odd though it may be, I think 2 of Cups is a much better indicator of a love relationship or a potential of a friendship growing into love. Even with the 2 of Cups, if it's in a bigger spread, there still have to be other cards indicating that's what it means, though.

Libra289

Trusting your intuition is one thing but just wanting to see a fated union or soulmate union or love in that card isn't the total answer. There are three people in the card in most decks unless the deck creator wanted to cut out the 3rd person so the card would always mean a love union. The third person could even signify that there's to be an arranged marriage depending on the culture. Or it could mean a love triangle if the 3 of Swords and one or two others show up.

Also, the way I read, I usually have to see other cards in the spread that would point to a love relationship, like 2 of Cups, Hierophant, Ace of Cups, 10 of Cups and sometimes some others. However, odd though it may be, I think 2 of Cups is a much better indicator of a love relationship or a potential of a friendship growing into love. Even with the 2 of Cups, if it's in a bigger spread, there still have to be other cards indicating that's what it means, though.

True, but I used Gilded Tarot and there are only 2 people featured. Maybe my mind is tricking me, but the handbook that comes with the deck suggests a union too. The card looks like this http://i1.squidoocdn.com/resize/squ...ns9841741module88368291photo_126781948706.jpg

Libra289

I tend to see the Lovers as choice, but it can also mean union. And if the card has RWS-ish imagery, the angel above could be seen as indicating a fated union. Go with your gut instinct.

ETA: Fixed typo. "guy instinct" indeed! :laugh:

Thank you, I used Gilded Tarot :)

Libra289

As Rachel Pollack writes in "Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom", The Kabalistic archetypes of choice and union are also joined by meanings which may indicate "the importance of love in a person's life" and "that the particular relationship has been or will prove very valuable to the person, leading them to a new understanding of life." Just as the hermit may indicate a teacher or guide, so too can the lovers indicate emotional support or guidance. As always, the context in which the card appears and the nature of the question will determine the appropriate meanings.

As others have stated, going with your gut is always a great idea. The cards are here to guide your own intuitive abilities. If you have a strong feeling that the cards are telling you something, I would invite you to trust them!

Thank you for your feedback :) I usually just get a gut instinct that is usually right! Like you said, the cards are just props that allow us to contact our higher self :)

Libra289

Hello again!

Yesh, I do see it as both. Choice to enter relationship or not, and also a couple getting together. I've read under no formal/official fashion, and even a union where there's physical attraction and fate. As in brought together to learn a lesson. As lovely Rodney mentioned, choose what your heart tells you signifies. And remember looking at the other cards is equally important.

Mwah :heart:

I agree :) I just feel like there's a strong possibility. Slightly going off topic, I also have tea leaf readings and the cards were telling me the exact same thing as the leaves, so this interpretation of a union just fit together and made sense.

Grizabella

So do you just see that one card and take it as a soulmate or love connection, or do you prefer to see other signs in your readings, too? If you only do short spreads, then it would make a difference, I'm sure. I do larger ones most of the time, so I guess that's why I look for surrounding cards to see what it means.

I've had the Gilded for several years and when I worked for an online reading company, that was my working deck. It's a beautiful deck and I had no trouble reading with it.

As Rodney says, it's always important to go with gut instinct, whether you do larger spreads or not. :) That first strong impression is always what I try to go with.