The Magician in "The Book of Ceremonial Magic" by Waite

roppo

I'll do my best, friends!

Cerulean

Hello Roppo--beautiful conditions

roppo said:
Okay, never turn to others when it comes to book collecting. Today I got a beautiful copy of Papus's The Tarot of Bohemians (London: William Rider & Son, 1910).

general look of the book
http://grimoire.blog.ocn.ne.jp/doll/files/bohemian-1.jpg

big pitcure of front cover (1MB)
http://grimoire.blog.ocn.ne.jp/doll/files/riderbohemian.jpg

The Wheel of Fortune on the frontcover(115mm*180mm), gold line on the indigo, is wonderful indeed. And the line is better than that of the WoF of PKT. More horizontal width, no Roman numeral. PCS monogram is a strange one, C and S being jointed to form a single stroke.

Though the book is dated 1910, it was on the market in November 1909. There is an advert in the book as follows:

"The Tarot pack of 78 cards (together with The
Key to the Tarot) may be obtained on applica-
tion to the Publisher -- William Rider & Son,
LIMITED, 164 Aldersgate Street, London, E.C."

I believe this WoF is one of the earliest official RWS pictures and tells us lots of things.

My own copy of the Tarot of Bohemians with the Wheel is a reprint and I believe it is in green with either the gilding rubbed off or very faint. My own Key to the Tarot with deck-if the cover was ever stamped, what was gilded is way too faded. I could not get a good picture or impression.

There was a 1910 date on my Key to the Tarot. I was reminded it was a small print run--I found letters to the lower right of the pages probably intermittently among the sheaf of printed pages looking like a quaint printer page assembly alphabet code.

The art of bookcovers, that is engraved leather or cloth with gold stamping--I do not know if there was an assembly line production of such material as far back as 1909, as the demand for this would have been less than hundreds? So a workman's odd ommission or a gilding misapplied... I will check the printing date of my Tarot of Bohemians reprint.

It seems Waite or Rider could choose how they will to use PCS design work--perhaps the Magician and Wheel of Fortune book covers are part of the "missing" designs that were paid for in the famous quote of

"Just finished a big job for very little cash."

I knew once upon a time that an assistant art director would continally re-use graphics paid for in a small magazine. My guess though is the enlarged book cover art of PCS was paid for, but the trump design credits or usage seemed to be attributed to how Waite as the author/translater or Rider as publisher saw fit..

Cerulean

Cerulean

Tarot of the Bohemians: The Most Ancient Book in the World

For the use of Initiates By Papus, Translated by A.P. Morton, second edition revised, with preface by A.E. Waite, illustrated with numerous plates and woodcuts

London, William Rider & Sons, Limited, 1919

Incidently, the advert for the tarot cards are right after the title page;

The Tarot pack of 78 Cards (together with The Key to the Tarot) may be obtained on application to the publisher-William Rider & Son, Limited, 8 Paternoster Row, London, E.C.4.

The last two paragraphs of the 1919 Preface to the English Edition (the 1919 copy is the second edition of the Morton translation with Waite's preface) is Waite suggesting he has a more updated tarot card set and more innovative method of reading. My guess it also appears in roppo's version?

Preface to the English Translation (page xvii)

.....In his later work, (Papus) Le Tarot Divintoire, published at Paris in the course of the last year, Papus dwells on the necessity of taking the Major and Minor Arcana in connection one with another, as distinguished from several French methods which lay stress on the major only. He affirms that the minor are as important for the study of the subject as are the House of the Heavens for that of astrology. In respect of cartomancy, at least, he is right, and this is his concern in his work. In respect of the higher constructions, he promises a new edition of his previous work; about which I do not think that we need feel especially disturbed, since he gives ample evidence that he adheres to the same system. As regards divinatory methods, he draws his materials from Moreau, from the cartomancist Etteilla and from D'Oudoucet--from Etteilla more than all. For those who are concerned with such matters the result seems therefore exhaustive, and it includes the modifications of the root-meanings by the various combinations of the cards in their appositiion to one another as the result of dealing. The Tarot cards have, however, just been issued in England by the publishers of the present work, together with their advanced interpretation on mystic lines and a corrected mode of divination which, so far as I am aware, has not been printed previously. It will form an essential supplement to The Tarot of the Bohemians, and will dispense will all need of reference to Le Tarot Divinatoire.

.....The opportunity of the present edition has been taken to revise the translation, which had certain imperfections as it stood, owing to unfamiliarity with the terms of occult literature.

A.E. Waite

End excerpt.

I wonder if this same note appears in the blue earlier edition of Tarot of the Bohemians? The 1919 leather cloth edition has gold/gilt/gilded titles, but the Wheel Card incised illustration in the green cloth doesn't appear to have had any gilding. The PCS signature in the lower right corner is the typical serpentine 3 curved slither on a line...

The last print of the edition notes "Printed in Great Britain by Neill and Co., Ltd, Edinburgh."

Hope this helps!

Cerelean

roppo

Thank you Cerulean. The last two paragraphs of Waite's Preface are same with the first edition. The differences are the address of Rider and Co., and the printing data. The first edition says "Printed by BALLANTYNE, HANSON & CO. at the Ballantyne press, Edinburgh". I was not sure whether the 1919 edition has a Wheel of Fortune on its cover or not. Now I can purchase it without hesitiation. And 1929 edition, too!