The most important planet in a chart

SirenRising

Hello, i'm new here. I find this place very interesting... My knowledge on Astrology is not much, so i would like to know if there's a ruling planet of the chart. If so, can u tell me wich is mine and how affects me?

September 6th, 1979
20:30 Lisbon/ Portugal

star-lover

hi

go put your details into astro.com and see what your rising sign is
the ruler of that sign is an important planet in your chart

SirenRising

Ok, i'm ruled by Mars then... Thanx

einhverfr

Normally I look at the following areas:

1) Rising sign and ruler.
2) Sun sign and ruler
3) Moon sign and ruler.
4) Any planet that rules a number of others.

Some astrologers have devised complicated systems of accidental dignities for looking at these issues. William Lilly's Christian Astrology, for example, establishes such a system.

Mutual receptions get extra points :)

dadsnook2000

And others might say . . .

And others might say that any planet that is angular in your chart and/or any planet having the most or tightest aspects in the chart are most important. As a general rule. Everything is a general rule. And no general rule can be relied upon most of time, only part of the time. It isn't so simple to say that you can use one method -- it all depends upon the chart, it all depends upon what you are looking for.

If you are beginning your studies then I would suggest you focus on the planets and their aspects first. Houses second. Signs and rulerships third. Etc. Dave

Sophie

dadsnook2000 said:
If you are beginning your studies then I would suggest you focus on the planets and their aspects first. Houses second. Signs and rulerships third. Etc. Dave
Just to get this right - by "planets and their aspects" - you mean what are the relationships between all the planets (and other objects?) on your chart? Like - "Sun square Moon", "Mercury conjuct Neptune" or "Ascendent opposes Mars"- that kind of stuff?

I had an astrologer friend who was heavily into midpoints instead of houses (or rather, she rated midpoints above houses) - she read my chart for me and it was awesome. No-one got it so right before or since (uncomfortably so!) Unfortunately, it was lost during my last migration :(

einhverfr

Helvetica said:
Just to get this right - by "planets and their aspects" - you mean what are the relationships between all the planets (and other objects?) on your chart? Like - "Sun square Moon", "Mercury conjuct Neptune" or "Ascendent opposes Mars"- that kind of stuff?

I had an astrologer friend who was heavily into midpoints instead of houses (or rather, she rated midpoints above houses) - she read my chart for me and it was awesome. No-one got it so right before or since (uncomfortably so!) Unfortunately, it was lost during my last migration :(

Yep. That is exactly what he means.

Ruling planets/Almutens/etc. are a more subtle influence and work within the framework of aspects etc.

dadsnook2000

Mid-points

Yes, mid-points are amazing. Not for everything, but for a lot of things. Its something I got into early in my studies, not because its the right thing to do, but just because a friend used them. But, the idea behind them would make many on this list who are just starting out, but not really grounded yet in the basics, a little nervous. Mid-points mean ... you ready for this ... no aspects, no houses, no signs, no rulerships. That can be a little scarey for some if its done too early. Dave

wizzle

Helvetica said:

We are trying desparatly to help you with sun square moon, mercury conjunct etc. If you can "get" the planets, you are half way home in terms of reading a chart. The planets are what make us individuals.

everyone take a deeeeep breath.

Notice carefullly that we have here in this chart a rising sign. Yes.. yes...
ooooo... look... this very interesting lady also has the rest of the zodiac in her natal chart. Oh.... I see a hand raised there? yes?

Ahem... you are quite right... all of us also have the complete zodiac.

Sun sign bimbo questions? yes? well.. yes... ahem... not all of us have the same sun sign, that is true. Notice that even though we all have a complete zodiac, our planets are spread out in a unique way. That is what makes us unique individuals instead of cookie cutter sun sign dolls.

Next question please