The perfect choice deck for a phoney psychic ...

tarotbear

{mods may move this to 'Chat' if necessary}

Presently I am working on a production of Sam Bobrick's "The Psychic" - which is a murder-mystery-comedy about a man who claims he is not a psychic at all even when his 'fake' predictions start coming true. I am doing the costumes.

Anyway - one of the props is an 'unopened deck of Tarot cards' - which he picks up at one point while he is still trying to convince one of the characters that he could be psychic before he reveals that he is not. I volunteered one of my unopened decks. Today I was looking to see which I would lend to the production and my eye fell on the 'perfect' deck for the 'phony' psychic to have:

MISS CLEO'S TAROT POWER DECK {as seen on TV}

:) :laugh: :) :laugh: :)

magpie9

Perfect!!!:joke: :thumbsup:

Disa

Oh that's the right deck for sure :)

tarotbear

It's a very small theatre, so someone will be able to read the box, I'm sure ... I actually have TWO of the boxed set (deck, book, and VHS tape) in storage somewhere ... :smoker:

Disa

A VHS tape, too!!! Wow. You got the whole shebang.

tarotbear

A VHS tape, too!!! Wow. You got the whole shebang.
Yes! And they are still sealed! Makes them worth .... at least $2.98 ..... :laugh:

donnalee

As a stage manager who often gets stuck being props master too, I think that's great, the perfect prop, an injoke you can enjoy again and again and not have to pay $3.99++ a minute for...!

{mods may move this to 'Chat' if necessary}

Presently I am working on a production of Sam Bobrick's "The Psychic" - which is a murder-mystery-comedy about a man who claims he is not a psychic at all even when his 'fake' predictions start coming true. I am doing the costumes.

Anyway - one of the props is an 'unopened deck of Tarot cards' - which he picks up at one point while he is still trying to convince one of the characters that he could be psychic before he reveals that he is not. I volunteered one of my unopened decks. Today I was looking to see which I would lend to the production and my eye fell on the 'perfect' deck for the 'phony' psychic to have:

MISS CLEO'S TAROT POWER DECK {as seen on TV}

:) :laugh: :) :laugh: :)

Aeric

Slightly off-topic:

I think Miss Cleo's deck gets a lot of flack because of name and brand association. Miss Cleo wasn't doing the psychic world many favours, and she only put her name and face on this deck and produced a video and a few commercials with it (the deck she used most often was Original Rider-Waite). But it terms of it being a readable Tarot deck, you could do a lot worse.

Sure it's faux Cosmo Egyptian, and the art is crude, but a lot of it is just reworked RWS. Someone other than Cleo designed it, someone who obviously had studied the Waite imagery and was looking to give it a twist. How many other Egyptian decks and Tarot in general have done this? Plenty. There are a few recognizable Egyptian gods and Egyptian symbols, but I don't think the MC works well as an accurate Egyptian Tarot deck, just a cheaper RWS with Egyptian overlay. If you know RWS, you can use it very easily.

Not to mention the deck's surprising use of male figures in traditional female or mixed cards, like the Star. Two men are in the 10 of Cups, so are they a couple? Hmmm.

So I'll defend the deck less as a peddled tchotchke. Cleo was a hack, but I don't think her name should damage the commitment to the creation. How could a person not expect the most famous television Tarot user to not put out a deck? People could be skeptical of Cleo's psychic powers, but she was a Tarot reader, and the way she read cards was no more intuitive and freewheeling than what I've seen of plenty of commercial and non-commercial readers. ("Here's the 5 of Wands, I'm seeing an argument with five people," etc.)

You want worse? Try the Carnivale deck, supposedly branded to fit the popular TV show but which the designers admitted HBO gave them literally 48 hours to throw it together and slap the name on it to print. And it's not even the deck used in the actual series!

That said, great choice for a play with a phony psychic.