And like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capp'd tow'rs, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve,
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on; and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
There is a difference between the 'scientific method' and scientism. As a means of interpreting evidence to deduce underlying principles, the scientific method is unsurpassed ...at least where physical existence is concerned. When its’ empirically-based conclusions are warped into intractable dogma, then you have 'Scientism' - a logical fallacy confusing theories which, potentially, could still be disproved, with abstract rational frameworks that need not have any correlation with observable phenomenon. It's a classic example of what is referred to as a 'category error': where "things of one kind are presented as if they belonged to another". In other words, whenever science becomes dogmatic it is logically indistinguishable from religion.

This is not to say religion is inherently 'bad' -rather, that it serves a different function than the scientific method. One could say the same of transcendental vision or spiritual epiphany. They are different modalities of consciousness that are best utilized when informing each other instead of being confused for one another.

For example, in terms of the 'economic' practices of our civilization, there is the material 'fact' that our current adaptive strategies are unsustainable. This has been empirically deduced by employing the scientific method to the available data. The political response to this crisis, however, tends to be more religious in character. In this case, the religion is consumerism and it is widely seen as heretical to question its fundamentals.

The question in not whether or not to abandon religion in favor of science. It is rather whether we will choose to survive as a species by understanding the nature of our consciousness in relation to our physical environment. Perhaps this requires a novel approach in the Craft of our mythopoesis concerning the path to Wisdom...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfKOnj0gPCw

DoctorArcanus

Yygdrasilian said:
There is a difference between the 'scientific method' and scientism. As a means of interpreting evidence to deduce underlying principles, the scientific method is unsurpassed ...at least where physical existence is concerned. When its’ empirically-based conclusions are warped into intractable dogma, then you have 'Scientism' - a logical fallacy confusing theories which, potentially, could still be disproved, with abstract rational frameworks that need not have any correlation with observable phenomenon.

Of course "the scientific method is unsurpassed" if you judge it on its own standards (i.e. the deduction of theories). This (thou shalt have no other gods before me) is the intractable dogma I see when science speaks of other myths as inferior, or as something radically different from itself.

Teheuti

Jason Pitzl-Water recommends in his blog, The Wild Hunt (http://wildhunt.org/blog/), an excellent article by Ronald Hutton who responds to criticisms of his scholarly work on the origins of the modern British religion of Wicca. I think that many of the things Hutton says in this article are relevant to our discussion, especially the "three different futures" mentioned at the end of the article that could result from different beliefs about Wicca's origins. The pdf of the article is available here for free:
http://www.equinoxjournals.com/POM/article/view/10684

Chas Clifton reports that the The Pomegranate: The International Journal of Pagan Studies has posted a freely accessible article by British historian Ronald Hutton (author of “The Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft”) entitled “Writing the History of Witchcraft: A Personal View.” In the piece Hutton discusses the course his work has taken, situates it within a larger body of scholarly work, and proposes three possible futures for the writing and reception of Pagan history by “practitioners outside the academy.”
Essentially there is a conflict between those who want to believe the foundational myths of modern British witchcraft and those who have deep doubts about the historical reliability of the information which the founding members (Gerald Gardner, et al) had imparted. Hutton's book is an outstanding work of scholarship that traces evidence regarding the founding of Wicca as a religion. Through Gardner's ties with Aleister Crowley and probably other members of the GD we can see a link to the pattern of fabrication in the founding myths of occult societies and tools such as the tarot.

I highly recommend Triumph of the Moon as an essential book for modern Pagans interested in the roots of the tradition:
http://www.amazon.com/Triumph-Moon-History-Modern-Witchcraft/dp/0192854496/

Teheuti

Yygdrasilian said:

It has also been suggested that Life may be more Praxis than Poesis...
http://www.ted.com/talks/wade_davis_on_endangered_cultures.html
Wonderful lecture. Thank you so much for suggesting it.

At the end, Wade Davis says, "We [at National Geographic] believe politicians will never accomplish anything. Polemics are not persuasive. But, storytelling can change the world."

Brilliant and very appropriate to our discussion of the power of myth.

Yygdrasilian

Karma Repair Kit (Items 1 - 4)

Richard Brautigan said:
1. Get enough food to eat,
and eat it.

2. Find a place to sleep where it is quiet,

and sleep there.

3. Reduce intellectual and emotional noise

until you arrive at the silence of yourself,

and listen to it.

The potency of Myth and its’ praxis in ritual has less to do with a specific set of rules than with consistency of intent - and a mandala is most potent whenever the harmonies of the macrocosm are weaved into the fabric its’ microcosmic “medicine wheel”. As inhabitants of the ethnosphere, our Understanding of oikouménē tends to reflect the idiosyncrasies of our cultural circumstance.

The eternal return of the dying & resurrected god through the Ages is the echo of our own (im)mortality, resonant with the cycle of the seasons, and is as old as our ‘worship’ of the Sun. Tarot, by enciphering the mandalic unity underpinning the design of ancient Hebrew, preserves this archetypal tale as a kind of symbolic equation. Yet, the study & reflection required to decipher the arcanum is a process of repeated distillations, and are communicated to novices most effectively as story than as intense streams of technical elaboration. Thus, mythopoetic renditions facilitate its’ learning through the art of narrative.

This aspect of the al-KEM-ists’ craft has employed a method of formulating “names” whose Letters both “spell” their pronunciation and depict their roles within the broader praxis of a shared mythos. It is in this sense that the Renaissance “occultists” understood the Pentagrammaton as the Key to solving their cabala. Tarot provides a means of accessing this formula as ‘calibrated’ for the zodiacal Age of Pisces (0º♈=30º♓).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundial#Nodus-based_sundials

Perhaps, in light of present circumstances, the World might benefit from a greater Knowledge of this system - if, for no other reason, than that it helps foster an appreciation for 'the bigger picture’. Which is really the measure of any Myth’s power to capture our imagination: a Kosmos from above married to the songs we sing below. And down here we appear to have something of a mess on our hands which, I suspect, only the power of Myth can hope to resolve...
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/all-watched-over-by-machines-of-loving-grace/

...by resurrecting an Ethos.
http://www.crvp.org/book/Series03/III-14/chapter_viii.htm

philebus

There's been a recent controversy about a video by James Wanless in which he claims that Tarot came out in the 16th & 17th century and was first used as "divination games" - horrors! See minute 1:05 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqpDAkFx_lw

Yeah, I hate to hear this kind of thing, too, and James really should know better. But then we get Oudler's typical video response that is nothing more than publicity for his favorite game.
http://youtu.be/6UgyGC6ADak

He insists he knows the original purpose that the deck was created - for games - (could be true), and overlooks the fact that most people use a deck for the game of tarot that has little in common with the original tarot except for its structure and number of cards. The original pictorial motifs have nothing to do with his concept of what tarot is.

It is historical *fact* that even people who once knew better, are willing to ignore history in the face of tarot's myths. After the TarotL History Information Sheet first came out, I noticed that most books and many websites were paying attention, but there seems to be a lot of back-sliding.

So, my question for everyone is: What is the power of myth that people keep returning to it? It's not just to 'sell' more - I'm asking about what's behind all that. The tarot myths fulfill a certain need in the human psyche. What specifically do you think the tarot myths in particular are addressing at the deepest level?

I see this as a historical question, because if historians don't have some understanding of the urge that keeps these myths historically reappearing, then we won't ever understand how to address the issue clearly, and we'll never learn from history - the history of tarot myths and their continual re-emergence!

Coming to this thread rather late, I find that there have already been some very insightful posts in reply to the question.

However, before I address that in a later post, I would like to make some defence for Oudler, who by my reading has received, apparently with no sense of irony, a rather disingenuous dismissal in your original post.

Firstly, right off the bat, you describe his video as “nothing more than publicity for his favourite game”. I’m sorry, but while he is certainly passionate about the games, as am I, he is doing more than just saying “look, these were made for games, they are really great games, do play them!” He is drawing attention to falsehoods in a commercial video by someone who presents himself as being an authority. A passion for card games and a passion for a little truth and honesty are not mutually exclusive and I see no evidence to suggest that he is cynically using the guise of the later only to promote the former.

Your other comments however, seem altogether strange to me. The first says that he insists he knows that tarot cards were invented for games, with a bracketed comment that it “could be true”. Not probably, but only “could”, which implies to me that there is good reason to think that it isn’t. Intentional or not, it reads as a not too subtle dismissal. The second concerns his concept of what tarot is and the intention behind that comment is unclear – it may be offered as a criticism, suggesting that his concept of tarot is too limited or misplaced, or perhaps it is meant simply as a statement of his position with no apparent point. I don’t think it unfair to assume that many people will read it as a criticism. In either case, it is not quite correct and if a criticism was intended, then it is flawed.

Is it really unfair or unjustified for Oudler to claim knowledge that tarot was invented for card games? Empirical knowledge is not absolute, which is not to say that the facts of the world to which such a claim refers are not absolute – I think that they are – but that the knowledge of them can never be certain. Any claim to empirical knowledge is, in principle, subject to possible revision. The upshot of this is that when we claim to know something empirically, be that that Henry the VIII had six wives, where we live, or even what we look like, we are claiming that we have good grounds for certainty and little reasonable doubt to question it. There is a very strong case that tarot cards were invented for card games – and I don’t think that whatever has been offered as room for doubt amounts to enough to really doubt it. You may think otherwise – and perhaps he should say “almost certainly”, if only to avoid unwanted controversy - but even then, given the strength of the case, I think that your words suggest an unfair dismissal of his position, almost out of hand. Again, this may not have been intentional – but that is how they read to me and possibly to others also.

The earliest European playing cards we have feature what we call the Latin suits, being Cups, Coins, Batons, and Swords. Each suit has a sequence of pip cards and three courts: a King, a Rider, and a Footman. Many countries still use these today. The French suits feature Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs, and Spades. They too have a sequence of pips and three courts: a King, a Queen, and a Knave. South Germany still uses its suits of Hearts, Bells, Acorns, and Leaves. These also have a sequence of pips and three Courts: a King, an Over, and an Under. And finally, let’s not forget the Swiss Jass pack with its Acorns, Shields, Bells, and Roses. These cards have different motifs, both in the suits and in the courts. These cards can be used, and often are used to play games that might ordinarily be played in other countries (or even other regions of the same country) using cards of different motifs. They can do this because they all share the same structure and that is what is important and is what keeps them in the same family of playing cards, as opposed to packs such as Happy Families. In their function as playing cards, the motifs are incidental.

Now, if tarot cards were created for playing card games, then it would follow that what mattered in this context, what distinguished them as a family of cards and to a measure what governed the games that could be played with them, was their structure. This isn’t to say that the motifs were completely irrelevant to card play, we can easily imagine how they might have been: The trumps were unnumbered for a long time, even after becoming popular beyond the wealthiest classes. It would be important that the players could readily recognise a hierarchy and by using familiar Christian figures, that could be achieved. Of course, there might be some ambiguity in some cases and sure enough, there has been some regional variation in the accepted order of the cards. But then they start to be numbered and the images become less important to their function. We can start changing the pictures and enjoy playing the games with new variation. German card makers began this in earnest during the early 18th century (there had already been some flexibility shown in tarot makers by then) and the new packs continued to be called Tarock because they were used to play the same games. When the French began to adopt the new suits and trumps, they continued to call them tarot for exactly the same reason. The card player’s concept of tarot is broader than just the motifs, though it does not, by any means, exclude them – either in terms of their role in game play or their adopted use by occultists and readers - but it is not bound by them and there is no good reason why it should be. And it is not only card players who have a broad concept of what constitutes tarot, a brief look at the array divination packs that are known by the name should attest to that. The notion that the original motifs are somehow essential to what it is to be tarot assumes another role essential to tarot cards, other than games, which requires those motifs - and while such a notion is not explicitly stated, it is implied.

Perhaps it seems that I have gone to uncalled for lengths to answer a few largely unnoticed comments. As it stands, the comments seem to imply that Oudler is making unjustified claims that there is good reason to doubt, that he does so simply to further a different interest, and that he has a naive conception of what constitutes tarot, which perhaps has an essential nature grounded in its motifs that is apart from card games. This may not have been your intention but however casual or inconsequential they might appear, and whatever the spirit in which they were made, however accidental their arrangement, these dismissals are of just the kind that are employed by the smarter peddlers of myth against their detractors to softly undermine them. It is an unfortunate irony from the person who started this thread with them and who has long been an advocate for good history, not to mention how they jar with the rest of that same post.

I hope that this does not read as a personal attack, it really isn’t meant as one. I have tried not to assume any ill intention behind your words. I hope also that it doesn’t read as pedantry – in any other context, I might not have addressed the comments at such length. I have fought hard with the text to try and get the right tone and message: at the end of the day, our choice of words matters, they can trip us up as easily as they can be used to trip others – and if we are very unlucky, once they are public, they may be used by cynical opponents against a position we might support. This is a hazard that we all fall foul of sometimes, no exceptions.

Teheuti

One point that has been consistently made on tarot history sites is that, given the lack of any documents by the creator of Tarot, we cannot know what was in that creator's mind regarding his or her purpose.

There is a long history - from at least the 16th century of "the moralization of cards" in which playing cards are viewed as a memory system for primarily Christian principles. From early on, the cards were used to describe people's personal characteristics. Could something like these have been in the mind of the creator of the deck? My understanding is that we currently have no idea. Could it have originally been an educational or philosophical parlour game for which it was devised? Isn't fortunetelling sometimes described as a parlour game? Why should we think that playing card historians know the mind of the creator of the the deck better than anyone else?

Should Tarot be defined only as 78 cards of any design in sets of 21+1+(4x14), such that Minchiate decks are not part of this tradition, nor are 22 card decks (which should, then, be called something else)—since only the number and sets are important? What if there were originally only 16 Trumps? Would that, then, not have been a Tarot deck? Is there something about the game of Triumphs that required more cards and so Tarot could not have existed until a game was devised that required 78 cards, but the early Italian game of Triumphs was played both with and without the Trump cards? It seems to me that the early history is more richly complex than simple and involves all kinds of inventions and evolutionary developments.

Should all references in the 15th century to divination with playing cards be completely rejected as not having any relevance to Tarot - because, by definition, Tarot was only created to play a card game - closing forever the case to other possibilities?

It seems to me that if we start defining things too precisely we begin to close our minds to what might be there. I had to train myself to separate what facts we have from myths and from drawing conclusions where there are no facts (i.e., what was in the mind of the creator) because all the evidence is not in and may never be. I found that if I looked beyond textual documentation that there was a rich resource in pictorial documentation that tends to get overlooked (although most of it tends to be historically later).

Personally, I appreciate any good explication of the history of Tarot, but I find I don't always recognize my own experiences with Tarot when divinatory tarot is described by a playing card historian or when I'm told that what I do is "Divinatory Tarot" not "Tarot," since not all that I do is divination, nor is it playing a card game.

And, is Oudler's purpose in his many responses to Divinatory Tarot videos primarily to correct Tarot history, or is it primary to preach a message through accessing people who have come to that video for a different purpose? Is he paying to advertise, was it solicited, or is it unsolicited evangelizing imbedded with the historical 'corrections'?

Personally, I've come to appreciate much of Oudler's material, especially as it has gotten more historically informative and less strident, but I do feel he seeks out the divinatory tarot field in order to spread a personal message about how more people should be paying attention to the game of Tarot. Is it impolite to draw attention to this?

I guess we could say that diviners co-opted tarot and Oudler is trying to co-opt it back to gaming. Yet, aren't all divination tools co-opted from other things - bird flights, intestines, sieves? Nope, I think we could say that astronomers co-opted a study of the stars from astrology. Isn't it just human nature to use one thing for something else and for, sometimes, in some places, the first use to get put aside or forgotten?

philebus

I must assume that my poor writing skills have let me down again and that I have failed to communicate anything very much at all. I’ll have a think at how to re-phrase it all again when I’ve some more time.

Cerulean

Perhaps the recorded history of our standard 78 ....in my mythology...begins

in thanks to historians that include those here as well as diviners.
I understand historic folk observations that might have been first recorded by Etteilla in 1770-1773 were divination with French pip playing cards. He did a table of cartomancy meanings, with pages of a funny printer pictorial motif of a face looking up at the typeset meaning assigments.then in 1783-1787 he took beliefs from the expatriate Compte de Geblin and wrote about alignment of 22 tarot majors with the mytholical allegories of the Pymander. I haven't read the original/reprint information in detail, except for Dummett and Decker. But the divinatory tarot has additional layers than straight gaming decks and hasdiverges after the 1770s to my mind because we have those mythologies of people who originated designs actually writing and saying what they mean.

It is hard to read the Etteilla texts or read in the modern day like he suggests, but I know his writings and the mythical tarots he inspired divination decks for Delarue, Lismon (Blocquel), and later Grimaud...and the playing card self-styled LeNormand until her demise in circa 1850 created additional cartomancy myths that do have a romantic influence in how we enjoy packs today.

Forgive the rambles that follow...will edit later.

I keep looking at different childrens board games at historic sites and curiously wonder how to bridge gaming history with divining. There are hints the allegorical motifs I see in Grimaud and edition Dusserre reprints of how playing the game or puzzle was an educational pastime...although in moderation...drinking, gaming, smoking were not delicate frivolity and may not have been widely available for the common cartomancer...so fortunetelling from a pack of cards evolved more organically over time...