The RIGHT deck?

Wendywu

That really is an excellent post Griz. It should be burned in letters of fire on all of us when we start out (except that would really hurt!) - it would save an awful lot of angst in terms of deck buying, and passing on and buying and passing on ......

Ironwing sold out but Lorena only printed 200 copies (she self published), and it is sooooo different that no major publishing house picked it up. Or maybe Lorena didn't want to go down that road - who knows?. So once the 200 sold out - that was it. Some love it, most don't....

Griz is so right - a deck you read great with might sit there silent and just stare at me (maybe waggling a rude tongue) :joke:

Carla

Griz is right of course, but I'd still love to have a look at the decks that other people love. :) I'm actually far too cheap to go off and buy every single deck I see lovingly referred to on AT. I just respect Nisaba and Wendywu's opinion, having read lots of their posts, and I would like to have a look at the decks they like. :) I personally have been really loving Anna K since I got it a week ago...yes, I have done a little cheating on my IDS deck with Anna K. Oh well! ;)

Grizabella

There's certainly nothing wrong with having a look at the scans of decks that others you respect find to be favorites. My point was that just because someone else, even someone you respect, really clicks with a deck doesn't mean that one is the one that's going to click with you, too. So many new people (me included when I was very new) put out way too much money in search of THE deck when it doesn't exist.

I use the Magda Gonzalez Native American deck a lot lately, too. I've always appreciated it but I think the art work is weird. I'd definitely like the art better if it were changed, but the deck works great for me.

I always try to stick with recommending in-print decks to new folks. That way they can search around among more reasonably priced decks and not run the risk of spending hundreds of dollars on a deck they may find to be a flop for them.

Bottom line, I recommend starting with the Rider Waite. I think it's got unappealing art work, but it's the very best basis a new person can give themselves for then going on to the other RWS clones and near-clones. Once Rider Waite is mastered, then you can read just about anything.

Carla

That's good advice. I actually really like my Universal Waite. I wish the cards were a bit smaller and not so slick, I find them hard to shuffle. I feel very attached to the images, having read so much info about them in books and also from doing my IDS. It's a great deck! I'm so glad I took someone's advice here and bought it. (My very first deck was the Osho Zen, but I set it aside for the UWaite so I could learn the card meanings). I think all my decks so far are RWS-based---Osho Zen, UWaite, Buddha (Place), Legacy of the Divine and Anna K. I also bought the Housewives Tarot because it's so cute. (At least I thought it was cute when I ordered it--it's actually a bit of an acid-tongued bitch, isn't it! LOL) I guess it is RWS-based as well.

I wonder what deck will end up being my 'right' deck. I love the idea of working with lots of different decks, so it doesn't matter to me about finding a 'soul' deck, as someone on here referred to it...:)

I love AT! There's so much information and wisdom!

Sulis

Carla, I've heard that the pocket Universal Waite is meant to be really nice. It comes in a really sturdy box and the colours are said to be better than on some of the larger deck's print runs.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Age-Uni...r_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1264533446&sr=1-6

Note - not the Tiny Universal Waite - that's key chain size with postage stamp sized cards.

Back to the topic of the thread ;).
I don't have a 'one' deck but I have around 6 decks that I use in rotation... All of them speak my language.

MareSaturni

The right deck is the one that sings for you.
If it'll sing for a day or for a lifetime, that's another story.

So when a deck like this arrives in your life, you don't stare at it and wonder "is it Mr. Right Deck?". You enjoy it while it's singing. Telling you stories. Filling your readings with wonder. Making you feel safe just because it's inside your purse or your bag.

When we question too much the good things they somewhat lose their magic. Enjoy your deck, don't try to label it as "right", "not right", "maybe it'll be right in future", "no, it'll never be right" - because truthfully, you never know.

How many people have traded away decks because they'd never be "the right one", only to buy them again a few years later? And how many swore that they'd never ever EVER use this or that deck because it's ugly/uninteresting/boring... only to find themselves suddenly fascinated by said deck?

The "right" things not always arrive in your life because you were looking for them, but just because you had your mind open when they arrived. Give the decks you have in the present a chance, instead of expecting the "right one" in the future.

Maybe one of them is just waiting for a chance to sing.
And maybe you'll find yourself loving it's song - unexpectedly.

Prism

Marina, you are inspiring me left and right today!