The right tarot deck

priscilla

Can somebody tell me how to find the right tarot deck suit for us? I always like simply-calming deck such as hanson-robert, conolly, & robin wood because the figures make me relax to do the reading. but my fiance sugests me to use more 'complicated' card to improve my ability he said, but using 'compicated' card makes me stress because i dont have chemistry with the card.

Isarma

helllo priscilla!!!

Hi! My opinion is that when you find the right deck you just know it!!! Sometimes it takes time, its a matter of how do you feel your intuition working with the deck, just let it flow over you, try different decks, it doesn't matter if its simple, or complicated, everyone is unique, and a deck that works for you could not work for me for example:)

wytchwood

Take no notice of what he says! lol! Use the decks you feel comfortable with. I think ability improves from experience, not from 'stepping up' to more complicated decks.

Zoe

Nocturnal Lure

Though your question is simple, the answer is not...

The "right" deck, doesn't excist, at least not as a universal standard. Each individual will form his or her own relation to a deck. Some stick wih one, others use several. I myself use different decks for different readings, for instance (or several for one reading at times).

How you vallue a deck is highly personal and no one can really answer it for you. But perhaps if you are more specific on how and why you use the cards peeps here can give you some suggestions.

I personally would advice you either Haindl or Toth at this point because they work on many levels allowing you to do comfortable readings while learning the different, perhaps more complicated layers of Tarot that move in the background (Kabbalah, Astrology, Alchemy etc.). But that's little more then what prung to mind after reading your post.

Debra

It's not the complicated cards that makes your reading ability better. Maybe your boyfriend likes complex-looking cards, so he should get a deck for himself. If you like relaxed looking decks, that's what you should use. Try Marseilles some time!

Isarma

that's abslolutely right! It doesn't improve because of the deck, it's you that improve with practice, you can do very "complicated" readings with a simple, "relaxed" kind of deck, the "magick" in inside you and not with the deck, the deck will be a vehicle for your habilities, just use the one more confortable for you

elvenstar

I'll agree that the main thing about your deck is that you like it and it speaks to you. Getting a lot of practice with the deck that feels right to you at the moment is the best way to improve your ability I would think. It's all in the reader, not the cards.

As to more 'complicated' decks, well, there's been a lot of discussions here about the International Icon and how that helps people become better readers, its not easy to find a less complicated deck than that! :D

When and if it's time to start working with a different type of deck than the one you're used to and get out of your comfort zone, you'll know it. Some people never went past one deck and they're no worse readers because of it. Until then listen to your gut and tell your fiance to stick to his own decks :p

hopeballard

Go with your gut Priscilla!

Priscilla, your gut is telling you that you like calming cards!! That is all you need to know. Decks are so unique and individual and I think it is great that you already know the kind of Decks that are good for you. It took me a long time to figure this out and I think my reading suffered from all of my searching. So did my pocketbook by the way! :)

I have learned that I read best with a Deck that has very little nudity. I read best when the Kings are manly men and not weenies! :) LOL It took a long time to find the right deck that I can really connect with. So good for you for getting there so quickly!

HOPE

Umbrae

often - less is more.

HearthCricket

priscilla said:
Can somebody tell me how to find the right tarot deck suit for us? I always like simply-calming deck such as hanson-robert, conolly, & robin wood because the figures make me relax to do the reading. but my fiance sugests me to use more 'complicated' card to improve my ability he said, but using 'compicated' card makes me stress because i dont have chemistry with the card.

Since you are the one doing the readings, you have to go with your own instinct as to what decks and what styles you like. Many people need lots of images to connect with a deck, others prefer as little as possible so their intuitive side can really stretch out. And there are those of us who are somewhere in the middle.

You can always add a few decks to your collection, but if simplicity works, I would stick to that style for you. Decks like Nigel Jackson, Old English, Prediction, might work well for you. Morgan Greer, Aquarian, Halloween, too! You don't have to have a lot of busy artwork on your cards to read well. And you have said it perfectly. You need to have chemistry with the deck. Stick to your style. You will know if and when you need to change it, but for now, stick with what works for you! And have fun with it. :)