the Science Tarot

amethyst57

always been a science nut...that deck looks great...

Golden Moon

Aerin said:
I hope mine is in this batch then - I didn't get an email... maybe better chase it.

Thanks for the info!

ETA Yes, hmm, ordered mid-September. I've emailed to find out what's going on.

Hello Aerin, this is the email I got from them...

Hooray! Our delayed shipment of Science Tarot decks finally arrived
today!
We can now begin processing all your orders, and you should receive
your very own deck within the next couple of weeks, depending on your
location.

Faolainn Storm

Aerin the email mentioning the delayed decks is not reply to a purchase but their newsletter. So if you haven't signed up for their newsletter you wouldn't have recieved it. (I just discovered this, as I signed up for the newsletter through my secondary email, and that's where I got the same message as Golden Moon).

FS

Aerin

Thanks for the help everyone, it is much appreciated.

I got an email back explaining too, and yes I haven't signed for the newsletter so that would explain why I didn't hear anything.

The main thing is I haven't been lost :D

ps I can recommend the Physics Tarot btw if you love science - Tarot Garden

bjmeacham

I ordered my deck awhile ago and just received it yesterday. I live in the U.S.

Faolainn Storm

Well I just received my deck. First impressions - really well done.

I usually don't care for decks with multiple artists - too often the different styles don't look good together. However, this deck is an exception. The different styles actually do blend well, and only rarely does a card stand out as startlingly different.

It is very RWS, which makes it quite readable – when you are familiar with the concepts used to illustrate the ideas. Interestingly the "negative" cards (9, 10 Swords for example) have less distressing imagery, yet when you read the LWB you find that the concepts the designers have chosen to illustrate these cards are actually very fitting.

The LWB is much better than average – there is a full page per card, and though the explanations are short, there is enough information to explain what each concept is all about, and why was chosen for that card. And it is clear, that a lot of thought has gone into each card. Most of the choices are fascinating and illuminating, others are truly inspired – a few of my favourites are Schrödinger's Cat for the Wheel, Unquestioning for the Devil, and the Quantum Sea for the Six of Swords (a really innovative use of the traditional boat and water image).

I love the titles of the courts. King is Visionary, Queen is Storyteller, Knight is Innovator, and Page is Explorer, and the cards have both those titles and an abbreviation of the traditional rank as well. They seem to be Kings = Fire, Queens = Water, Knight = Air and Pages = Earth. Unusually they have adapted Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey for Ace-Ten of each suit, which gives each card added depth.

My biggest complaint is the choice of colours for the borders – Majors are green, Wands (Bunsen Burners) are reddish-brown, Pentacles (Magnifying Glasses) are yellow, Swords (Scalpels) are olive-green, and Cups (Beakers) are blue. I found the choice of yellow for the Pentacles and olive for the Swords, slightly odd. No elemental associations are given, but the keywords for the suits (Wands = Creation, Pentacles = Exchange, Swords = Observation and Cups = Integration) suggest that the standard RWS system is used (Wands = Fire, Pentacles = Earth, Swords = Air, and Cups = Water).

I don't think I will read with this deck yet. I think it would require more study, than I am willing to give it at the moment. But I think that if you were familiar with all of the concepts it uses, it would be very readable.

FS

gregory

Well great - they are now only selling through Amazon - who won't ship it to the UK. :(

Cerulean

I found one through Amazon.com in the U.S. in December 2010

...and hopefully will receive it soon. The booklet is supposed to be 100 pages.

Looks very nice.

Cerulean

rwcarter

I bought this from Amazon for a member here and of course had to buy one for myself too. Many items later... I completed my checkout.

The pages in the LWB aren't numbered, but I could see it being 100 pages.

I found it interesting (in a good way) that there's a female King (Marie Curie) and all the Queens are male.

Rodney

nisaba

rwcarter said:
I found it interesting (in a good way) that there's a female King (Marie Curie) and all the Queens are male.
<grin>