The Star- Payen deck, certain detail

mrumru

Hi
Revising recently Payen's L'Estoille I perceived that there is something odd at the top of the second (smaller) tree. And the bird from first tree (with open beak) seems gazing at it. For me it's looking like some creature is seated there. But maybe it's just my imagination,cause my mate when he saw this tree said that's huge poppy-head,so hmm.... I can't find something similar in other Marseille decks.I know that's just trifle ,but bothers me from some time.
Sorry for so poor english.

greetings
mrumru

Moonbow

Hello mrumru,

Welcome to Aeclectic and the Marseilles forum. I've posted the Payen Star card for us to look at whilst discussing. I'm not sure I can make out what you mean about the smaller tree, but nevertheless here is the card:

Jean Payen 1743..................................Jean Pierre Payen 1713

payenstar.png
picture1gp.png

Edited to add the black and white Payen card, I've kept both cards here because the comparison is a good exercise too (nephew and uncle I believe).

firecatpickles

I remember reading somewhere that the two trees represent the Tree of Knowledge and the Tree of Life.

mrumru

Hello Moonbow*,

Thanks for welcome and adding card. But hmm Payen Star about which I wrote is a bit different from this (whether there are several Payen decks?) I've got black and white copy,and for example the bird has open beak and this sth at top of second plant is much more clear.

"I'm not sure I can make out what you mean about the smaller tree"
This thing which is behind on the left side of the girl,I always suppose it's tree.

mrumru

Curtis Penfold

If you google "payen star tarot" it'll pop up. Yeah, there's a black and white version that's different. I think it shows more of what you're talking about.

Debra

Curtis, if you send me a link, I'll add the pic as an attachment.

mrumru

Hi Kilted Kat,

Very interesting thought about these trees.So maybe this odd thing is snake lying among the leaves .And The Star as Garden of Eden :lightbulb :)

mrumru

Moonbow

Hi mrumru, I've edited my above post to include the Star from the black and white Payen deck, which explains why I couldn't see the open beak on the bird in the first card.

Curtis, the black and white image you have linked is the Cary Sheet Star, next to the Heron Conver Star (in colour).