The Temple of Bel and the 10 of Pentacles

Pipistrelle

I was reading a BBC article this morning about Temple of Bel at Palmyra that was destroyed by ISIS. I thought I'd share this paragraph as, to me, it is a very powerful and evocative description of the 10 of Pentacles at work in the real world.

The person speaking is Syrian archaeologist Salam al-Kuntar from the University of Pennsylvania Museum:

"I have a special love for Palmyra because the Temple of Bel is where my mother was born.

"My grandfather was a policeman serving in Palmyra and my grandmother wasn't even 20 years old when she got married and moved to Palmyra. The Palmyrene women taught her how to make bread and cook. I hear many stories about the building, how people used the space, how children played around, including my mum. So that's what it means to me. This is the meaning of heritage - it's not only architecture or artefacts that are representing history, it's these memories and ancestral connection to the place."

Thirteen

Wow. You are right. That is a perfect 10/Pents description. Creating a place for future generations; a place of legacies where the riches don't vanish, but are able to benefit your descendants. It's thinking not of your own comfort, but of those that will come.

It's very sad to hear that such a place was lost in a wonton and selfish act of destruction :(