The things I missed in this deck - after 28 years of looking!!

Freddie

No I'm not sure the folds are letters, but to me they appear to be. Symbolism in the gown of an angel, so maybe there are more symbols/words on other cards.

That text on Tulle came from 1911 Classic Encyclopedia.

http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Tulle,_France

Freddie

Freddie

Hmmm. Interesting, Freddie. I don't see the TULLE - just a lot of lines to make the folds, but I can see that in the folds one could read any letters composed mostly of straight lines... are you sure ? In the blurb you pasted, reference is made to the Cascades de Gimel... It's tempting to wonder if there is a connection between the town name Gimel and the Hebrew letter.
P.S. Beware of copy and paste ... or at least cite the reference.

A better scan here.

Attachments

• rider-Waite_XII_Hanged_Man_large1.jpg
    rider-Waite_XII_Hanged_Man_large1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 231

Pam O

A better scan here.

When I just looked at that large scan of the Hanged Man, I realized that his hair looks like flames if you reverse him. Anyone else see flames for his hair inside the halo?

Teheuti

A better scan here.
To me it looks like "Julls". A lot can be seen in these lines. I go along with words that make the most sense in terms of the whole symbolism and intent of the deck. That way, even if we are wrong about a detail, at least it works with what else is going on.

velvetina

I've had this deck since 1981 and only yesterday realised the man in the Chariot appears to have no legs but rather be growing out of a stone...this lead me down a most interesting path of ideas!

Previously, I'd obviously been too distracted by his handsome face!

mac22

I've had this deck since 1981 and only yesterday realised the man in the Chariot appears to have no legs but rather be growing out of a stone...this lead me down a most interesting path of ideas!

Previously, I'd obviously been too distracted by his handsome face!

There is also NO reins -- Which means he drives the Chariot by mind power alone!! Hmm... growing out of a cube and driving by thought alone!!!! Oh the symbols.... he he

Mac22

Parzival

The Things I missed

Have you noticed the Hebrew sacred name above the triangle on Temperance? (YodHeVauHe,reversed). With the glowing golden mountain top in the lower left and the Third Eye on the angel's forehead, is this Temperance or Evolution of Consciousness from Temperance to Enlightenment?

Richard

Have you noticed the Hebrew sacred name above the triangle on Temperance? (YodHeVauHe,reversed). With the glowing golden mountain top in the lower left and the Third Eye on the angel's forehead, is this Temperance or Evolution of Consciousness from Temperance to Enlightenment?
Very perceptive observations. The golden disc on the head of the angel is a solar disc, which represents realization of the Higher Self. Temperance is the Path on the Pillar of Balance (between the Pillars of Mercy and Severity) which leads from Yesod (Foundation) to Tiphereth (Beauty). The "Planet" of Tiphereth is the Sun. The feet of the angel are at Yesod, and the head is at Tiphereth/Sun. In the golden glow on the left, you can see the outline of a Crown. This is Kether, the first Sephirah, which is at the top of the Pillar of Balance. (The Path of The High Priestess leads from Tiphereth to Kether.)

arya ishtar

7 Swords= there is a group of figures behind his right leg. (could be playing cards?)
There is always something new it seems with pamela's cards. ~Rosanne

huh. i see this as a "shepherd" and his flock. (preacher at a funeral?) because of what looks like a church bldg.

but i have an "original" and it is a bit muddy...

arya ishtar

chariot/4 of swords

what about the 4 of swords? just noticed that the arm thingies on the guy on the coffin are the same as the charioteer. think the monochrome distracted me before. then looked more, and besides the neck of his armor, and the 2 moon faces, it looks like he is wearing the exact same duds as the charioteer. any thoughts as to why?