The Transparent Tarot

Lurea

I have to agree with Voron--love nearly all the cards so far, but the King and Queen of Wands are FAR too similar. It would be very difficult to tell them apart in a reading situation... Even different colors for them would help. I hope the rest of the Kings and Queens won't look the same.

And IMHO--courts that all look very similar to each other tend give the whole deck readability problems.

Can't she have just a few feminine features? :(

But like I said, I really love what you've done with the trumps--awesome. Put me on the list. :)

Sidhe-Ra

Voron said:
I realize you're going for a very androgynous look for the deck as a whole, but I'm not really loving the Queen of Wands. I actually thought I had clicked on the King at first. The face looks very masculine. Hard for me to connect with the card's energy. Just my opinion. The general format, symbolism, and layout of the two courts is great, as usual. Her face just nags at me.

Oh, and the physical cards look great, btw.

Yar, she does look a bit butch...I'll see what I can do! The courts are all going to be the same pose for each Queen, King, etc., because it's the only way they'll interrelate properly, but I'll see if I can give them a little more personality within that scope.

Blessings,

Em x

Alta

Oh I am so glad someone else mentioned that. I have been loving your designs until I saw the King and Queen of wands. They just look so tough!

AprilFool

I concur! I think they look like brothers, other than the size of the points of the two crowns.

Maybe the kings could all be in blue dots and the queens all in red dots? Or is that too pink for girls, blue for boys???? Or worse, yet, mess up your suit colorations? Don't you hate backseat drivers/designers? ;)

Oh, and do you mean for the K & Q to overlap each other on the left side?

Sidhe-Ra

The courts are going to be the same suit designations as the other minors, that has to be consistent, but I think I'll give them hair/beards/boobs (delete as appropiate), bearing in mind what everyone has said. Although the pose has to stay the same, a little more detail might go a long way. I'll see what I can do...now stop ganging up on me! ;)

Blessings,

Em x

jackdaw*

I like the colours of the King/Queen, because it keeps with the suits. And I like the overlapping to truly show a partnership of sorts between the two. But I agree that a few girly characteristics on the Queen might make them look a little less like twins.

Oh, and I really like the way the physical cards look! I don't think the shading is too dark as the layers stack up ...

Sidhe-Ra

There is one problem with the cards that I have to sort out before I can charge for them- a sort of speckling that keeps happening. I don't know if it's a symptom of hot laminating on acetate- it seems to be something to do with the inkjet acetate surface. I've attached a close up so you can see. it's not apparent so much when the cards are laid on a surface, but it is obvious when you hold them up to the light. I'm in a grumpy huff.

Anyway, experiments will continue, until I get it right! I may have to spend more money, and get a cold laminator. Them there Xyron thingys look handy...

Many Blessings,

Em x

Attachments

• speckles.jpg
    speckles.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 153

AprilFool

I kind of thought the colors might need to stay as they are.

Also, with them (K&Q) being the same color and overlapping on the backside, it really does make them look like a partnership.

Beads, beards, boobs, whatever gender indication you come up with, sounds like a great idea, too.

What are you planning for the Knight & Pages? I may have missed a picture of them, but I"m not sure. How will they relate to the Kings & Queens regarding overlap and distinguishing characteristics? Young/Older/Horse/messanger/ etc.

And we're not ganging up on you, my dear. We're simply brainstorming! :D Don-cha love backseat drivers & designers across the globe?

AprilFool

Yeah, I see the speckling. That's a bummer. I think it would probably make them all look dark & a little "dirty", don't you?

But good grief, spend MORE money? Remember your sense of profit and good margins!

Sidhe-Ra

It's all good- means we'll get a better deck at the end of it! Honest feedback really is the most useful. I don't mean to sound grumpy- I've had a bad day and my back aches! (Whingey-whinge) Hugs to all xx

I'm still working on the other courts, though I have a rough sketch of how they all fit together. Think I'll trot off and work on that now. The knight is kneeling on one knee by the Queen, the page is a child, running off to the right, in front of the King.

Let me see if I can get some new courts done for you, m'dears...

Blessings,

Em xxx