The two bald men

light2000

I think that it is telling us that it is direct knowledge from the divine, but I may be wrong.
Yes i think that you are right.
If saw the majoraty of Saints are bald. And the Franciscanos´(it´an order of priests) cut their hair for looking a bald person. So this part of the head is the realashionship with the divine. If you took the hair off you can contact better, you stay whith no barriers, lol.

wizzle

Not a warm fuzzy card

I've never gotten a warm fuzzy vibe from the RWS Heirophant and I think this discussion finally pinpointed why. The teacher/mentor/pope/etc. is giving his information to guys initiated into his faith. That precludes, for me, the idea that he'll give knowledge to just anyone. You have to be part of the in crowd.

Compare to the Magician or the Priestess who aren't so exclusive.

My 2 cents for the day.

tarobones

disciples

It does not seem unusual to me for a teacher/wise person to impart knowledge to disciples that he would not to just anyone. The shamans all do that, as well as the Hierophant. Seems natural enough..............if one wants to be a disciple and learn from a teacher, one has to be willing to be taught. Just my two cents.........Peace to all...........Michael

squeakmo9

It's interesting how symbolic hair is, or lack of it. I've heard of people who have shaved their heads just as a personal cleansing of sorts, like beginning a new chapter in life.
It reminds me of that TV show-Kung Fu ('snatch the pebble from my hand') where the underling begins his journey bald as he prostrates before his "master".
When I was a kid I remember an odd occurrence seeing a nun take off her habit (12 years of Catholic school) and realizing there was hair there and it was closely cropped.
Won't get into the details of how I was privy to that but I think in the "old days" novices had to cut/shave their hair before taking their final vows. Just some of my musings :)

Evitan

tonsure

I think your correct ScarabFlight, the tonsure made sure nothing stood between their heads (minds) and the Higher.
As I'm getting slightly bald myself, I expect the Divine Light every minute now...I just hope that shiny little spot doesn't reflect it! :)

firemaiden

wizzle said:
I've never gotten a warm fuzzy vibe from the RWS Heirophant and I think this discussion finally pinpointed why. The teacher/mentor/pope/etc. is giving his information to guys initiated into his faith. That precludes, for me, the idea that he'll give knowledge to just anyone. You have to be part of the in crowd.

Compare to the Magician or the Priestess who aren't so exclusive.

My 2 cents for the day.

Well, the image of a pope with two tonsured clerics is not specific to the Rider Waite: See the Marseille Pope

fyi - the wikipedia article on Tonsure is very interesting. It brings up the possiblity that roman monks were originally tonsured to make them resemble slaves -that slaves in Roman times were tonsured like that, and free men were not - it was to show the humility.

memries

The thought occurs to me that a whole bunch of them were either bald or losing their hair anyway so they didn't want to be alone and they made shaving your head a bit a badge of honor. That way the younger handsome ones were in keeping with the Hierophant who was probably bald anyway under that "hat" ?

(Just a bit more levity in case anyone thinks I am really serious)

Teheuti

I always assumed it was a reminder of humility and service. It also marked them as set apart from other men.

Fulgour

It's the Tonsured Lovers...?

ros said:
Is there a reason for these men to be bald...
"There is a ring in front of the altar, from which two chains are carried
to the necks of two figures, male and female. These are analogous with
those of the fifth card [ie: The Hierophant], as if Adam and Eve after
the Fall. Hereof is the chain and fatality of the material life."

Arthur Edward Waite on XV The Devil re V The Hierophant
http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/pkt/pktar15.htm