The Wheel of the Year Tarot (new LoS deck)

shadowdancer

I do kinda like it. The aces rock for sure. The Strength card has made me wonder the same as someone else - it looks far more like Justice but will wait and see on that - it could be I just need to take my RWS hat off when looking at it

As for the 4 of swords - I loved it to bits. And I don't usually wax this lyrical with card images. I think it is because by using a reference to hibernation we know we HAVE to take the time out otherwise the repercussions could be difficult to deal with. This just gives a fuller feel for what that card usually signifies.

I think this deck will do well. There will be a few images that don't tug my heart strings but overall ?? Based on what I have seen I think I could read with it for sure.

Davina

SakuraFae

I agree about Strength resembling Justice more. I`m liking how integrated the seasons are, even the inclusion of the maypole. Its a little cartoony for my usual taste, but there`s enough other concepts that I like about it, that I think I can overlook that one thing.

Someone was looking for a Winter Solstice deck, many of the cards they showed had lots of snow.

HighPriestess

The card actually is Justice. It was just mislabeled.

SakuraFae said:
I agree about Strength resembling Justice more. I`m liking how integrated the seasons are, even the inclusion of the maypole. Its a little cartoony for my usual taste, but there`s enough other concepts that I like about it, that I think I can overlook that one thing.

SakuraFae

HighPriestess said:
The card actually is Justice. It was just mislabeled.

thanks! I should`ve read the comments.

Essjay

I was in London today and they (Watkins bookshop) had a single copy of this deck for sale. I snapped it up! She said they'd had a few in for a couple of days so I got the last one. I'll post my thoughts later when I've had a chance to have a cup of tea and a good look. The colours look lovely and bright!

ETA: I've been through it and I'm really glad I bought it. The art has a cartoony feel and the faces are really expressive. There's quite a lot of nudity in the majors (but none in the minors - bizarrely) which doesn't bother me but is worth mentioning! The devil card is very, erm - expressive, shall we say in the nudity department, lol. For me the swords really stand out. The nine of swords shows a woman fleeing from a swarm of bats! Also, the nine of wands is a brilliant interpretation of a man with a grim look on his face putting the last touches to a scarecrow whilst birds wheel in the distance. I think it'll read well and would also make a good beginners deck.

Le Fanu

For anyone wanting to see more scans (if indeed LoS have taken scans down), you can see it in stock at alidastore...

I have to confess, Antonella Platano is my least favourite LoS artist. I think it's wonderful that LoS have diverse art styles and moods and what they do with tarot, stretching it, making it modern, contemporary, expanding the user's sense of what a system is etc etc, but I'm afraid to say her art-style is just not my style. Her palette has something of bubble gum wrappers, and this deck is the bubbliest gummiest yet. But I wish the deck well as I do all LoS decks, but of the new releases I shall give this one a miss...

Eyebright

I LOVE this deck.

I got this deck on Thursday (along with the Fire Tarot, but that's for another thread lol) and I am really attached to it.

It is in quite a cartoony style but I love the images, there are some really interesting ones which depict the cards. I really like The Fool who is inside a wheel about to roll off a cliff! Expresses the meaning of the card as well as starting the wheel of the year rolling! I like how that ties in nicely with the theme of the deck.

Different groups of cards also represent each of the Sabbats for those who are interested in this. I can post up which cards depict each Sabbat if anyone wants.

Would love to know what the runic inscription on the Hermit card says if anyone has knowledge in that area!

Despite the nudity I do really like the Devil card. It really speaks to me of how when you lust after/ want something badly enough you will do anything and endure anything to have it, damn the consequences. It really speaks of how obsessive and also possessive we can get!

I also love the 3 of cups! 3 little fairy (?) women are sat in a birds nest watching a chick hatch from its egg and celebrating the joyous occassion.

I could go on for alot longer yet on how much I like this deck, but I will stop now! I don't want to spoil the deck for people anxiously waiting for their copy to arrive. :D

ETA: Got to mention the 8 of wands. Thankfully it isn't the stupid 8 wands flying through the sky! It is an eagle or falcon maybe coming to land on a mans arm with a message attached to its leg. The man looks very surprised hehe!

Blessings, Eyebright :heart:

Sulis

Le Fanu said:
For anyone wanting to see more scans (if indeed LoS have taken scans down), you can see it in stock at alidastore...

I have to confess, Antonella Platano is my least favourite LoS artist. I think it's wonderful that LoS have diverse art styles and moods and what they do with tarot, stretching it, making it modern, contemporary, expanding the user's sense of what a system is etc etc, but I'm afraid to say her art-style is just not my style. Her palette has something of bubble gum wrappers, and this deck is the bubbliest gummiest yet. But I wish the deck well as I do all LoS decks, but of the new releases I shall give this one a miss...
If you click on 'photos' on the Lo Scarabeo FB page the album with the scans is there.
I have to say that I don't like the look of this deck at all...

cardlady22

Eyebright said:
Different groups of cards also represent each of the Sabbats for those who are interested in this. I can post up which cards depict each Sabbat if anyone wants.

Would love to know what the runic inscription on the Hermit card says if anyone has knowledge in that area!
I'd love to know about the Sabbat cards. (to tide me over until I get one)

Can you get a photo or scan of the rune inscription?

Hemera

cardlady22 said:
Can you get a photo or scan of the rune inscription?
Yes please, and of the nude Devil, too. :p