The Wild Unknown Tarot: study group & discussion

Pixna

I got this deck not too long ago, and I'm absolutely loving working with it. One of the many things I find especially appealing about it is that there are no human characters shown. I have always felt a disconnect with the humans shown in other decks -- either they seemed unbelievable, cartoonish (even though I know sometimes that's intentional), too scary, too sweet, or I just couldn't relate to them for various other reasons. Additionally, in other decks animals are often portrayed as unrealistic or they are anthropomorphous (given human characteristics).

But in this deck, the animals are drawn realistically, and the spirit qualities they represent shine through. I'm not hindered by my preconceived notions (biases, prejudices) about certain "types" of people -- their age, culture, size, gender, etc. Instead, I can simply let these images speak honestly and directly, on a psychic (rather than worldly/earthly) level. All the layers of bias are dismissed, and I can zero in on the essence of the card's meaning and intent.

Also missing is overbearing symbolism. I typically find decks laden with excessive symbolism difficult to wade through and the cards overwhelming to read. This deck is stripped down to the bare essentials -- as Jack Webb would say, "Just the facts, ma'am." This further allows my intuition to take over, and rather being dictated to by symbols, it can fly free.

The minimal use of color and the creative use of lines (and black-and-white images and backgrounds instead of color) intensifies the importance of these elements and really forces me to pay close attention to them and what they might mean.

As with any deck, certain cards draw me in more than others, but this is one of those rare decks where all the cards seem incredibly well thought out and well done. I absolutely love it!

Sulis

Pixna thanks so much for joining in, I'm getting such a lot from your posts and you're post has described my feelings about this deck so well.. There are cards that don't seem to 'give' as much but I've found that sitting quietly with the cards that I'm having trouble getting anything out of has made them sing and these sort of images really come alive in a reading when they are interacting with other cards and have a context.

It's been over a year now and I'm still loving this deck and I have no inclination at all to use another..
I'm so glad that we've kept this study group going too, there are so many insights and wonderful posts here..

I've nothing more to add - did I mention that I love this deck? :laugh:..

Winterchild

Pixna I agree with all you have said!

This is my ultimate favourite deck, i do believe it is perfect. I love the cardstock, the backs, the box, the little LWB sheet and there is not one single image that makes me go *UGH*...

There are however a lot of WOW's! It would be extremely difficult to pick a favourite card. I wish they would bring out a huge one, say A5 size, that I could put up all around my room!!

Every card is so incredible, I was recently looking at the Lovers... a simple image that says so much by the animal/bird symbolism. As you say it shines!

Have you listened to any of the Family Band music? I love that too!!

Now I am going to go stick my nose in the study group again, it's been a while!

Pixna

Just a note to encourage more contributions to the study group and to also hear about how everyone is enjoying and using their Wild Unknown Tarot. Looking forward to more input from everyone!

Sulis

Well I've used mine so much that I noticed a couple of the cards were peeling at the corners yesterday - a spot of glue has sorted that out :).

I've just posted a thread on the Daughter of Wands :).

Pixna

Well I've used mine so much that I noticed a couple of the cards were peeling at the corners yesterday - a spot of glue has sorted that out :).

Wow -- you're wearing them out already? Well, all the more reason to purchase backups (which I've done, um, several times -- just in case, ya know?). :)

I've just posted a thread on the Daughter of Wands :).

Yay! I'm gonna head on over there and check it out. Thanks, Sulis! <3

Rose Lalonde

Glad to find this study group!

My deck is due to arrive any day, and I'm looking forward to getting familiar with the cards while accessing the threads here, so I finally joined the forum to be able to reply instead of just soaking up the info and view points at AT.

For the past few years I've been reading mainly with the Tarot of the Origins and Mary-El. Though I love both, I'm drawn to the pared down and open nature of this deck.

Thanks to Sulis for creating this study group! I can't wait to read through it all with cards in hand.

Sulis

Hi Rose Laronde,

Welcome to the study group and I'm really glad that you're finding the threads helpful..
Go ahead and add to the discussions, these cards seem so simple yet also seem to have endless things to say..

Since all of the cards are now covered does anyone have any suggestions for more discussions? Anything that you're just dying to discuss?

Pixna

Since all of the cards are now covered does anyone have any suggestions for more discussions? Anything that you're just dying to discuss?

*Raises hand*

I'd love to hear opinions on the black triangular corners on some of the cards (the corners that look like the flaps that photographs would fit into if they were in an album). I can't seem to figure out the connection among the cards that have these, so I think it would be an interesting discussion to hear various views on what these corners mean and/or how the cards that have them are interconnected.

Rose Lalonde

Thanks for the welcome, Sulis!

My deck arrived today (and having looked through it once, I'm thrilled with both the card stock and the images I hadn't seen before). I'll be going through the threads and will add questions/thoughts as they come.