Thoth or Hermetic Tarot?

Pythagoras 1/10

Hey guys, I need help choosing my first deck! I think I have narrowed it down to these two but if you have any other suggestions please mention them.

I find the art work of the thoth simply stunning. However, I don't like the drastic changes from traditional iconography used in the deck or the definitions written on the minor arcana.

As for the hermetic tarot I find the art work appealing but not to the same degree as the thoth deck. Although, I do love the fact that it can convey so much in a more traditional manner; at least compared to the thoth deck anyway! That is also it's biggest disadvantage for me though. It feels as though the artist is trying too hard to get you to notice cretin aspects of the cards. The astrological signs are perfect example of this for me.

Well that's about the run down. Concerning how I intend to reads the cards; I am reasonably familiar with kabbalah in relation to the tarot. Although, I intend to use a variation of it. This is one of those place where the fact that the thoth uses nontraditional imagery might not affect the straight kabbalah reading; it would effect mine.

In particular I would love to hear about you experiences with the decks and what you thought of them.

Thank you for reading this far and if you could help it would be greatly appreciated!

nisaba

They are both seniors amongst decks - I'm very glad I didn't start with either of them. I like and use both of them, but the Hermetic appeals more to me for artistic reasons.

You have set yourself a huge task, learning on one of those two - I take my hat off to you!

Pythagoras 1/10

They are both seniors amongst decks - I'm very glad I didn't start with either of them. I like and use both of them, but the Hermetic appeals more to me for artistic reasons.

You have set yourself a huge task, learning on one of those two - I take my hat off to you!

Thanks for responding! The reason I picked those out is they seem to speak to me; crazy I know! Would you recommend any decks for a beginner? I do find the rider wait a bit of a turn off as well as most of its clones.

What is it that makes to two decks difficult?

nisaba

The symbolism is very dense, it's hard to answer a client's question about what her son gets up to when he leaves the house with them, for instance :).

Look, if that's what you're drawn to, get one or both of them. I learnt on RW-style decks, and I have no problem with either system, but I do prefer to teach the RW system, because it's just easier for people to learn, and they don't end up being dispirited and losing heart.

willowfox

If you ask for other people's opinions you will just end up confused. But personally I dislike both decks as the artwork is awful.

Pythagoras 1/10

Thanks nisaba. A bit of topic but is it common to have clients ask questions such as that?

Le Fanu

Thanks nisaba. A bit of topic but is it common to have clients ask questions such as that?
Of course! (not answering for nisaba but I'm sure she'd agree that you get all sorts)

You learn these astrological associations and kabbalah and hindu mythology and hebrew alphabet etc etc and you'll get asked very banal questions by querents (does he love me? Is he gay? is he having an affair?). It's life!

Zephyros

When it comes to the system used, the two are very similar, as are both similar to the RWS. learning one, you'll know the other. If you read intuitively, i.e., without any system, it doesn't matter which deck you use, get the one you like best. If, on the other hand you plan to go further afield into esoteric study and such... I would get the Thoth, simply because it is the all that the Hermetic is, and more.

Alta

To me the Thoth is the more useful deck for learning. The artwork as you say is stunning and there are several excellent books written on the deck specifically (see the Thoth Forum) to guide you into the cards. As closrapexa says, both decks come from the same tradition.

Pythagoras 1/10

Thanks everybody who answered! I really appreciate your answers. I think I will have another look at decks that may be easier for a beginner. Although, it is likely I will end up going for the thoth. It simply seems to be on of the most beautiful decks I have seen.

Again, thanks everybody. You have definitely helped me make my choice.