Three of coins - unusual experience, association of loss

Mojo

It's hard to say where the feeling of grief comes from, but you have to honor that when it happens. I seldom have specific words come up for me, but when they do, I've found you have to look at all forms of the word and not just the obvious ones.

Demon Goddess

Thanks so much for all the replies.

I like this forum, it's nice to have a source for discussion for when things like that do come up.

truthsayer

Quote:Demon Goddess (03 Sep, 2001 14:38):
Ok, Mojo, well see that seems more likely given the spread... but what's with the overwhelming feeling of grief??? And like I said that word Grant just jumped out at me like that... Does it make any kind of sense? Where did that come from? I can't even see anything like that in the card. Is it possible it had a double meaning ??

i can see where the grief comes from. she lost a job that meant something to her b/c the loss of the grant. it really doesn't matter if she's going to start a new perfect job, she's still mourning the loss of the other job. it's imp that the new job helps w/ her situation w/ her son but losing a job is like having someone die. job relationships are ended and a routine she enjoyed was disrupted. it's like someone taking your old battered but beloved doll from you and saying,"i don't know why you want that old dirty thing! i gave you a new doll that's more expensive and prettier than the first one!" that first doll is always going to have more meaning to you and nothing "better" is going to ever substitute for it.

i can relate to this feeling b/c i've had something very similar happen to me. i have a better life now than when i held that prior job but the hurt and grief is still there after 2+ years. i know the changes did me a favor and gave me more opportunity but i can't keep myself from longing for that old life, those old relationships, and that old job. nothing better can replace that hurt.

does this make sense?

New River

Hi Demon Goddess! i thought everyone's expressions were so good. but i felt the overwhelming grief you are talking about.

do you know this person well? the thought that came to me was, could Grant be a person? someone she will meet soon?

and not to be morbid, but this kind of grief can entail losing a child. my own daughter died 6 years ago and i can't tell you the times the 3 of coins came up for me! usually with the three of swords. just my personal feel coming from where i've been.

goddess knows i hope it's only a job and a money grant! these emotions are what make it so draining to read sometimes. it's nice to draw the hermit and remember not to take on another's pain and wounding.

i didn't want to write this because i didn't want to freak you out. but i was just compelled. love and light, New River

New River

i just wanted to clarify my first reply. i would never tell a querent if i saw something as tragic as actual death. it has only happened to me twice. then it was from readings for myself, and even then i didn't see it. i only knew the meaning after the fact.
love and light, New River

MeeWah

Demon Goddess: It would be helpful to know the other cards & their positions in the spread as it is tricky to interpret a card out of the context of the spread, although a card may stand on its own.
You may have absorbed the energy of the querent, which could cause a feeling that does not relate to you to manifest. Your feeling is a gut reaction & as Mojo states, difficult to determine its source (especially without knowing the factors & variables involved). Examining the various associations of the word that came to you may assist with insight. A grant in the form of financial aid is a gift or boon; not a loan that requires payment in turn. The loss of such aid can be devastating as grants given on a need-based qualification are usually crucial to the recipient.
Another consideration is sometimes cards in a spread for someone else can strike a personal chord. The subconsious processes the cards on a level the conscious may not immediately access, so although the feelings or impressions may not make sense at the time, there can still be significance.
If you do not already do so, I recommend you ground & center yourself & surround yourself with protection prior to a reading for anyone, including yourself. This can prevent any "interference" or influence inappropriate to the reading.
As for the 3-Coins, it is the Earth aspect of 3-The Empress. The traditional or usual meaning of 3-Coins pertains to mastery or competence, gainful employment, accomplishment; manifestation. It does not have to be a reversed card to mean the opposite. Security may be associated with it, & there may have been a loss of some kind that was felt materially or whose effects are yet to be experienced.
Mojo's take is interesting in that I've seen the 3 pip cards of Swords, Pentacles & Cups refer to interference of some kind, usually involving outside influence or other people. Before a grant of any kind is awarded, it is subject to a review of a board of individuals who determine whether the recipient meets a particular criteria. The card may refer to such a review board.

Demon Goddess

Thanks for your input folks. After speaking with the querant, I suppose almost anything in this situation is possible. I can't get the idea that the grant for her son is the loss and that this is the feeling of devastation that will overcome her when she is unable to retrieve it.

I didn't get a sense of death, just loss... The only time I've ever felt death was on a 9 of swords, go figure, and that was entirely different.

LightLovePeace, I'm interested in a comment that you made, that threw me... You said that you will hold back saying what you see. Why? I mean, I couldn't do that even if I wanted to, well maybe for an icq reading, I could, but in person, the emotion that would overcome me, I couldn't possibly explain away without a lie, and I can't imagine doing that.

As for the grounding... That's an interesting comment. I don't know if that's what I do or not. I meditate before a reading, and will focus myself on my power. I've always done it this way. I can't imagine what you might mean but I've got this picture in my mind of putting a circle of sand on the floor around my chair. :)

Because the imagery that comes out of my cards manifests itself as emotion, I'm wondering if doing something to hide that or cover that wouldn't somehow mask my ability and make my readings less effective? Your thoughts?

MeeWah

Demon Goddess: New River indicated she would not mention seeing death.
I have not had occasion to see 13-Death as death for the querent; only as hearing of a death or the death of someone close. Am more familiar with the other cards I mentioned as symbolizing a death.
I mentioned the grounding & centering because it's important to protect the self from "intrusions". When one opens the self, it can attract or bring contact with unknown forces such as discarnates as well as access information from the collective consciousness. Putting up "shields" or casting a circle of protection will not prevent what is needed from passing through, such as the information sought.
I call upon the Power of Light as well as use certain prayers to aid in the focus & to establish my intent.
A circle of sand can be charged with Light to work as a sacred space. There are probably as many ways as there are individuals to accomplish this.

Demon Goddess

Thanks Meewah, I always feel a little weird talking about the spirituality behind my cards, because I can never be sure about how the person I'm talking with will take it... I feel safe here though.

My meditation, (which may be odd in and of itself) is the Lord's Prayer, nothing else either. I repeat it over and over focussing on the meaning of the words as I say them until I feel the connection to God, sometimes it's a weak connection, (usually, if I'm in a hurry) and sometimes the cards feel like they're burning my hands, and I know I'm going to get a killer reading (My best and strongest connections are always near or on a full moon).

I can't really explain it, but I feel that there is a power that emanates and clarifies the information for me. And it is that source that I draw upon. I don't usually (I guess it's dumb to say "never") ask a specific question, but instead expect the cards to tell me what the power wants me to know. It's hard to put into words but I feel that if by some chance there are other forces, negative forces if you will, that could influence my reading, then that influence is meant to be there. It seems to me that doing something specific to block any of the power, for me, must needs be done by the power that feeds my cards. That sounds weird even to me, but does that make sense?

I can't really explain it well other than to say that doing anything beyond that seems rather hoky to me and sort of takes away from the power that I feel is my source... Eeeeeew, does this make sense???

I don't want to be suggesting here that what other people are doing to focus and prepare for their reading isn't the right thing for them to do, but because God (or rather my concept of God) is my power, giving Him/Her/It suggestions on what I need to be protected from seems to give me the impression that I'm doing something unnecessary and in addition something that God already knows to do, so it might just take away from the power of the source and might take the ability to tap that power away from me. Ugh... does that make sense either??

MeeWah

Actually, I do it much the same as you some of the time, when I use The Lord's Prayer. How I do it varies some, depending on the moment as some of the prayers are my own. That particular prayer is a powerful prayer of protection (as is Psalm 91); layered with symbolic meaning as well.
I see myself as a vehicle or channel (as some would call it) for the Most High. It is in that respect that I approach all readings, as I do not do it all by my lonesome :) Calling upon the Power of Light is the same as calling upon one's deity or deities. The Godforce is constant & the same, whether one refers to It as God, Allah, etc.
I also call upon the Archangel Michael or Kwan Yin/Mary; God/dess. It depends on the occasion or the moment, how it is expressed.
Whatever works for you is how I would proceed as everyone has his own method of "contact".