Trimming? Please redirect or guide me

DeLightFull

I tried a search but didn't find specifics.
When you speak of trimming do you really just take a pair of scissors, sit down with your deck and cut away?! Do you use nail scissors? What about the corners? Do you down a shot of liquid courage before diving in? The whole idea seems so... bold!
I'm equally enchanted and horrified by the idea but can't find the nuts and bolts of "how to". Please point me in the right direction :heart:.

Le Fanu

Go to the Talking Tarot Forum. At the top you will see a "note", and one of the subjects is trimming...

There are oodles of threads on this.

But everyone loves talking about trimming! You'll get loads of tips and encouragement here.

watch this space... :)

DeLightFull

Thank you dearies, I knew it was bound to be right under my nose!

thorhammer

Hmm, I miss trimming . . . I might have to get my scissors sharpened and make a move on one of my decks . . . now, which one . . .

})})})})})})

Yeah, crank one of those other threads over and we'll happily discuss :D But it's great to have them active, there is so much good information in them :)

\m/ Kat

DeLightFull

thorhammer! I just saw your handy work with the Rohrig, the difference is shocking. It changes the energy of the deck entirely. Amazing!

thorhammer

DeLightFull said:
thorhammer! I just saw your handy work with the Rohrig, the difference is shocking. It changes the energy of the deck entirely. Amazing!
:|

That was my first trim job - yes, it did change the energy of the deck, but I ended up trading that sucker away. My trim was not expert, not by a long shot :( and the difference in size was quite marked. This could be due, in part, to differences in image sizes, as I have encountered that in other decks, but largely I just wasn't happy with the job.

But the overall effect was stunning, wasn't it? Just a shame to lose anything at all of those absolutely magic backs . . .

\m/ Kat

Aladdin

I've read about this several times before but have never been able to grasp the presumed need for defilement of professionally published card decks.
Surely you just go out and buy another set closer to 'hand size' from the local possibly not so friendly esoteric shop and get on with it ?

zan_chan

In general, are people who are good trimmers also generally good at other arts and crafts stuff? I'm the worst at arty things and am so sure I would mangle a deck if I tried a trim.

My huge druidcraft really is just begging for it though...

thorhammer

I don't think so. It's really not a creative process per se - all you need is a little hand-eye coordination . . . and patience. I am happy if I get a deck trimmed over about three days, chipping away at it steadily otherwise my eyes get a bit dotty and my hand very sore. I like to take my time - after all, what's the rush?

Big, good-quality scissors, good natural but not direct light (near a bright large window is best), a corner rounder if you want rounded corners (the smaller the better, some take a long corner out and it looks funny) and my personal secret tool, superfine sandpaper or emery paper to make the sides nice and smooth and just ease them all to being just the same size.

It's not difficult, but you do need to be patient. And when you start feeling frustrated or like you're not doing as good a job as you want, it's time to put it down for a few hours or till the next day.

Aladdin, we all know how you feel about deck modification. Why do you keep posting in these threads?

\m/ Kat