Umbrae goes on a Rant about LWB's

Emily

I sometimes wish that the LWB's would go into more detail. My Spiral's LWB is ok but all its done is made me want to know more about the deck and I'm having a really hard time tracking the official book down.
But in a way its done me a favour because when I look at the cards I can use my feeling first before I look at the small descriptions in the LWB lol I've never looked through the LWB's that come with the Hanson Roberts or the Diamond - probably because they are pure R/W.
The Celtic Dragon comes with a full size book explaining each card in detail.

truthsayer

to me LWB'S are like those manuals you get w/ the new can opener or radio or vacuum cleaner or pre-fab furniture. those instructions are usually awful. i'd rather use or put it together w/o the instructions but in case of of mental block it's there w/ a key word that kicks me out of the block. i keep LWB's books and the boxes for trade value. i used to throw both away but i have found it's better to trade a deck w/ both. then there are ppl like my husband who want instructions on how to pour liquid detergent into the washing machine. i tried to change him but it was a lost cause. just like it's useless trying to change ppl who like their their LWB's. opinions are like noses--everybody has one.

one way or another, LWB's and tarot boxes don't worry me. it's just a part of tarot. if you don't like them, contact publishing companies and voice your beefs. it's kind of like politics. let your voice be heard. be part of the solution. however, decks w/ nice accompanying books are more expensive and this could be a burden on those who can't afford set like the victoria regina but can the gendron. everything comes down to money in the end. a decent LWB would cost publishers more money so why bother to do a good job unless there is more money in it?

AutumnMoonfire

I save and ignore my LWBs. I do understand how someone could get into using them, I just get annoyed. The jokes about QofSw pretty much covers why. I do have a heavy book dependance though...I use the books for my decks a lot. I have begun trying to use keywords with my Goddess Tarot instead. I tend to be thick as a plank with the intuition stuff, so that was why I got so dependant on the books...Maybe my renewed interest in Tarot means it is time for me to start listening to the voice within...

Red Emma

LWB?????

Okay, guys, what the hell is an LWB?

cricket

A LWB is the 'little white book' that comes in the box with the cards. :)

I've found one good use for them (besides the occasion mental prod if I'm not seeing anything for a certain card)..... put the LWB in the deck box first, leaving it on the side where the flap of the bottom lays against the inside. That way you can slide the cards in next to it, ensuring they don't snag on the little flap and get damaged.

Sam

Kaz said:
haha, lol, though you are right umbrae.
still i keep the lbw's, just to have the decks complete :)
me too, even though they get in the way when i'm taking out and putting back the cards into their boxes.

lili

I keep the LWB's in a drawer, but I never use them,I just keep it like I also keep the boxes to have my tarot deck complete.

dolphingirl

Hi

I actually prefer to buy a deck without a big book due to the money and the fact that I really want a box for the deck. The sets that don't have a box for the deck alone drive me up a wall :) as to the LWB I actually like them quite a bit to jog a memory while reading and also I sometimes like the no nosence attitude of them. No extra fluff just the bare basics.

Dolphingirl

DarkElectric

LWB's are really good for several things.

They are very effective for brushing Cat fur off sheets, pillowcases, or clothing.

Crumbs can be swept up very quickly from the table using LWB.

Pages can be torn out, and folded into little paper triangles to clean the toe jam out from underneath your big toenail. ( It works to remove gunk from under fingernails too)

And ripped out pages serve amazingly well to make mini paper airplanes to throw at your friends.

LWB's can be placed under the uneven leg of a table to right it, so you can delete chasing your coffee around from your list of AM aggrievations.

See, they CAN be useful... :p

napaea

I do totally agree with not being tied to the LWB.

but i do admit that i always read them first. why? i like to get the artist's interpretation of the card. As has been mentioned, there are a number of possibilities for each card. I like to see what was in the mind of the artist/creator when they creted the card.

For example: I dearly love my new "The Secret Tarots" by Nizzoli (though I haven't yet read with it)
In this deck the 4 of wands shows a naked (well topless) girl running through the forest. Now, to me, 4's usually represent something to do with the home. So what, she's a forest sprite? then why is she wearing a coat she is pulling off her body to expose her breasts? So i would really like to know why the artist chose to express this card in that way.

Of course, the LWB didn't help me at all. The whole thing is a story; instead of describing & explaining the cards, there is a long story made up about tarot, that really doesn't explain any of the cards. So alas, i have to devise my own meaning anyway!!

(i'll say she is meeting her hunnie on her lunch break for a little romp in the back woods of the house!)