*Understanding* deities

Malachite

This is a thought that occurred to me the other day, so I thought I'd share it...
I'm newly converted to the Norse faith...by a few months or so...Its one of things you know you always Believed, it just hadn't occurred to me....
I'm still exploring exactly 'what' each god stands for....I mean, I have all the info, and I know what the ideas are, but I still have to actually try and really comprehend what each god/ess represents...just knowing it isn;t the same...
And this is what I thought.....
Do you have to experience something from a god/ess's domain in order to comprehend them?...
I comprehend Freyja pretty well, but then I'm a pretty standard teenager, with the usual emtional and romantic complications, so it stands to reason..
Also, I understand Heimdall pretty well, since I run my life in a way that allows me to understand his character quite easily...
And, having got absolutley blotted (for the last time, i swear) last week, I'm feeling far more in tune with Thor...
SO...do you need some kind of domain-experience in order to bond to your gods?
This probably only applies to polytheistic faiths...where there is actually a division of domains...

so...does this make sense?

Malachite

Moonklad

well, in all honesty I don't know alot about the Norse religion but speaking from a Wiccan's point of view, I think that at different times you understand and can relate to different aspects of Gods and Goddesses. If you are experiencing something in your life that requires a certain "assistance" you may find yourself drawn to and finally understanding a God/Goddess that previously you just couldn't relate to. I am not certain if I am answering your questions or not but from what little I DO know about the Norse religion, I know that there are ALOT of Deities, therefore if you have just recently converted..give yourself a break, give it time. They will speak to you and when the time is right...you will hear and understand.
Moon

Malachite

I wasn't posting as a 'help me, I don't understand' post...it was meant to be a general question about the nature of faith...

but thanks anyway!..