Vampire Tarot(Place) Shipping?

karen0205

Strange2 said:
Attached is a scan comparing the Sun card from the Vampire Tarot (134 x 89 cm) compared to the Dark Grimoire (Tarot del Necronomicon) from Lo Scarabeo (standard LS size of 120 x 67 cm).

I haven't attempted to shuffle the Vampire Tarot yet (will try that tonight after the sun sets), but it's definitely a handful.
Thanks so much for the scans!
I seriously think I will trim half the border off and round those corners.
Then it will be a great deck to use. There seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction
with the cardstock and the finish on the deck. That's too bad. You would think
someone would have looked at the finished product and actually tried to use it
before giving the ok to produce the rest.

I wonder if these artists really do readings with their decks.
I know some of the artists get upset about people complaining about the cardstock,
instead of looking at the artwork but in the end, if you can't shuffle it or
it's so large or thick that you can't hold it, you will be less likely to use it.

I am surprised that there isn't a more standardized size for decks.
There seems to be such a range that it's always guesswork about what size
a deck will be when it actually arrives at the door.

rwcarter

In their original size, the cards shuffle amazingly well for me. (I riffle shuffle and bridge the cards.) The finish provides a very slight "stick" to the cards, but it's not the worst I've encountered. A hundred or so shuffles should get rid of that.

When entering decks into my spreadsheet, I have a column that compares the cardstock to that of my diagonal-backed Rider Waite (bought in the early to mid 90's). Lo Scarabeo decks rate a 2 - thinner. I rated this deck as a 1 - very thin, but as I said above, it shuffles amazingly well to be such thin card stock. There must be a layer of something that gives strength to the stock without adding heft to it.

I may round the corners of the deck, but that's the only change I'd make.

For those who are thinking about trimming the deck, it looks like you can do so right to the edge of the image without cutting into the design on the back of the deck and without affecting the reversability of the back design.

Rodney

Gazel

Ohh. I simply can't wait to get mine.
Preordered it from Tarot Garden.

Vesper

karen0205 said:
There seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction
with the cardstock and the finish on the deck. That's too bad. You would think someone would have looked at the finished product and actually tried to use it before giving the ok to produce the rest.

I wonder if these artists really do readings with their decks.
I know some of the artists get upset about people complaining about the cardstock,ins tead of looking at the artwork but in the end, if you can't shuffle it or it's so large or thick that you can't hold it, you will be less likely to use it.

I am surprised that there isn't a more standardized size for decks.
There seems to be such a range that it's always guesswork about what size
a deck will be when it actually arrives at the door.

I think it's too soon to tell if there is a lot of dissatisfaction with the cardstock and finish. I counted 3 posters who disliked the physical deck, a few others who expressed some cautious reservations. I think the major dissatisfaction was with the decision to leave the corners squared.

It's important to remember that even decks with overwhelming approval have had their detractors. Lots of people disliked the thin stock of the VR. And no matter what size a deck is, someone will have a problem with it.

Personally, I would hate to see a standardized size for decks. I don't want all my decks to be the same! I like variety: that's why I have more than one deck. Larger decks are good for a reason: you can see more detail. And the varnish coat (it's not lamination) is good for a reason: it protects the deck and traps light, making the colors glow. Time will tell to see how these cards will wear. In a few years, I hope to see posts about how this deck has held up over time.

I also can't believe that an artist would not use his own deck. No way you could spend years designing a tarot deck and not use it! Break it in; give it a few shuffles (I had to cut the deck in half at first, and shuffle the halves separately. But now, after a couple of days, I can do the whole deck. I'm petite, btw, and my hands are, too.)

mary ventura

The cards do have a different feel in the hand. I had a hard time shuffling the first few times (plus I didn't think to shuffle the pack half at a time :rolleyes: thanks, evelone ) I can shuffle it now. I like the cardstock. It's glossy without seeming like you have a handful of plastic. To my eyes, it goes with the design of the cards. I didn't like the square corners but that's just me. I rounded my Noblet deck too.

Mary V

karen0205

evelone said:
I think it's too soon to tell if there is a lot of dissatisfaction with the cardstock and finish. I counted 3 posters who disliked the physical deck, a few others who expressed some cautious reservations. I think the major dissatisfaction was with the decision to leave the corners squared.
Yes, you are right, I should have said that in the postings so far, there seemed to be some dissatisfaction. I hope more people get the deck and love it. I was anxiously awaiting the release and really love Robert Place's artwork. I will still get the deck, I was just hoping it would be similar to the Alchemical Renewed printing in size and cardstock, etc.

Vesper

karen0205 said:
I hope more people get the deck and love it. I was anxiously awaiting the release and really love Robert Place's artwork. I will still get the deck, I was just hoping it would be similar to the Alchemical Renewed printing in size and cardstock, etc.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't have the Alchemical Renewed. I think I was put off by the coloring (seemed skewed toward the pink). If I remember correctly, there were people who didn't like the stock on that one, either. I agree it would be nice if we could trust in the quality and usability of every new deck, if we had standards for that, but whose standards would be used? One person loves thick and shiny, while someone else prefers thin and matte.

I think about the Maupassant quote, "In literature, as in love, we are astonished at what is chosen by others." Change literature to tarot, and that about sums it up. Still, we can't stop posting our opinions, or voting with our dollars (or euros, or yen). How else are we to communicate our preferences to the publishers?

I too hope Place's work gets a wider audience (I'm boringly passionate about his decks, can you tell?) When you get yours, go post a review on Amazon. Mine's already up.

Asher

My deck is here...

and it is very nice indeed! I have been a big fan of Robert Place (have all of his decks) and this deck is a handsome addition to his work (and to my collection).

First impressions:

The cards are not as large as I had thought, given the comments in this thread. They are 3 1/2 by 5 1/4 inches with a nice finish. The colors are dynamic and vibrant.

The stock is thicker than "normal". This deck is slightly taller than my Fifth Tarot, which has 92 cards. With shuffling and handling, though, I believe it will loosen up over time.

The deck feels like a brick when removing it from the cellophane. The cards were quite stuck together, but with careful "cracking" of the deck, they separated just fine. I took a small stack of cards and lightly flexed them in the center & near the corners. Upon hearing a distinct "crack", the cards came apart with ease, and with no damage.

The squared corners were a big concern for me...I did not want to bleed on this deck, given its theme! And there are no extra cards to practice on. Undaunted, I grabbed my sturdy craft store corner rounder, and 20 minutes later, I have a deck with beautiful round corners! (Your mileage may vary, depending on how strong a corner rounder you might have, but I don't feel it's necessary to use an industrial strength rounder)

The 227 page book is a nice size to hold when reading (5 1/4 by 7 inches) and is well bound. The bulk of the book is devoted to the history and philosophy of the Tarot, as well as the legend of the vampire in art and literature. There is a chapter devoted to the Majors, and a chapter focusing on the Minors. The only drawback for me is the lack of card illustrations in the book. I like to be able to read a companion book without having to have the deck in hand, although this is a minor issue. The book is well researched and very readable. I am a huge Dracula/Stoker fan, and will most likely read through the book in a sitting or two.

I like the re-naming of the suits, which Place calls the "tools of the vampire hunter". They give some interesting nuances to the traditional card meanings. This is going to be a great deck to use!

Asher

Kimber

Weighing in...

I received my copy today, which I had preordered from Amazon. I have no issues with the size of the cards (I like to be able to examine the detail of the artwork), or with the square corners - it's kind of cool to have a square cornered deck, IMHO.

As others have mentioned, the pips are not as fully illustrated as some of us would have preferred - but, it is what it is. I like the themed court cards, too.

My only problem is that my deck is missing 8 cards!!! Waah.

LavenderLibra

Kimber said:
My only problem is that my deck is missing 8 cards!!! Waah.
Yikes! Good reason to get mine out and count the cards....