Victorian Romantic 9 of Pentacles

Little Baron

This card has become such an important one for me; from the RWS through to the Robin Wood, and then, to here in the Victorian Romantic. And it locates what I would describe as a passive side to my physicality.

Like many of us, I enjoy sexual contact; but I can also be quite reserved. As much as enjoying it, I can often feel intimidated by it and want to withdraw, physically.

And this card, over the years, stands for that - for me, personally, anyway.

I can see that she is well off and picks flowers for their beauty, rather than to sell, but in many of the previously drawn cards, her solitude [to me] often resembles some kind of lack of physical/sexual interest, fear or frigidity.

I think it began with the gates and the solitude - that she did not let anyone inside. I feel that this woman likes things to go her own way in all areas of life, and not just sexually. The hooded bird in the RWS aroused this feeling more. She is in control.

But here in the Romantic, she is so tightly 'done up' that nobody is getting through to her. She makes a barrier with the physical contact of the pentacles, I feel, and the distant phallic light-house in the distance, just adds to her pushing away sexual interest, for me.

Does anyone else appreciate this card on this level?

LB

Little Baron

Just thought, that being a '9' [Hermit], it could be 'physical withdrawal', in search of something deeper.

LB

Sulis

I can completely see what you mean :)

That's what I love about this deck. There are all these little details and nuances in the cards that when given the right context, just speak really clearly.

Reading your description of what this card says to you and then looking at the card, I noticed that the trees look very prickly too because they've been coppiced or cut back.
I thought that both of those things (the prickliness and the coppicing) tied in well with what you were saying.

Edited to add an image of the card

Attachments

• 9 of Pentacles.jpg
    9 of Pentacles.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 157

Rosanne

I too have an association with this card, I have always felt it to be me LB. I am not a fan of VR as a group, but individually I like the cards.
Yes, I see in this image what you are describing- but I also see two other things. The black hat seems out of place really, like it is a mourning hat, so maybe she is mourning that fear of contact? On the other hand her bearing is composed, like she has come to terms with the situation. I also see what you describe in the RWS version of the card- with the hooded Falcon. You have a great grasp of the cards concept I think. ~Rosanne

EarthAngel2911

LB, that's very interesting. I've never looked at the Nine of Pents in this way, but it makes perfect sense since this *is* the suit of the tangible stuff: money, health, body, etc.

I gotta say (and I've said it over and over), this deck has so much personality! IMO, this card has attitude! The way the woman is standing with her hand on her hip, and the look on her face, she actually looks a little snooty. Maybe she only accepts physical contact with a person she deems worthy. :grin:

Getting away from the sexual slant for a minute, this woman actually looks very accomplished, and even proud of herself. Maybe she worked really hard to achieve the success she has, and in doing so has "earned" her the right to be choosy when it comes to the company she keeps.

Jewel

Unlike with most decks I just jumped in starting doing readings with this deck right away (without reading the book or comparing it any other deck) because it begged me to *LOL*. So I have not explored this card by itself, but in readings, and it has come up in A LOT of readings I have done lately.

I do find the "withdrawing" sense, and I also sense "longing" in her gaze. The longing could also be "reminescing". So those could all be applied in a sexual context, I just have not found in my experience with this card for it to come up in a position where it would have such a connotation. I have actually found to have a depth very akin to a court card though. In most instances that it has come up in readings it has reflected how someone needs to regain confidence and get intouch with who they really are at their roots. Regaining strength. Again, this interpretation of course is affected by the question and cards on either side, which it has had in every spread I have done when it appeared.

Just looking at the card alone though, I do see nostalgia, poise, and to a degree dissatisfaction in her stance and gaze. She wants something more. Generally I see the 9 of Pentacles of being satisfied and enjoying all they have. The VR 9 of Pentacles is more restless, in her quiet way. Maybe intimacy is what she is missing ... she has the villa and light tower, a lot of land, but no intimacy .... ohhhhhhhhhh see how I tied that back to sex LB???? ~chuckles~

elysgrl

I get a "don't mess with me" feeling from this card that would refer to all aspects of her life, including her emotional and sexual life. Not that sex doesn't have its place, if some foolhardy soul would be willing to take the time to unravel all those layers of fabric, but she would never let lust for some guy interfere with the life she's created for herself. I get the sense that she's very tightly controlled, very set in her ways, very protective of her independence. So while she might even be an aggressive firecracker in bed, she wouldn't want him hanging around too long in the morning. ;)

But I'm a romantic, so maybe a dashing King of Wands will come along someday, break through all her rigid boundaries, and make her life all passionate, messy and complicated like the rest of us.

a_shikhs

I find this woman in the 9 of Pentacles card rather cold and arrogant with a tinge of attitude. But this does make sense as you could see her as a rich, spoiled woman. This was my first impression of this card.

ana luisa

I´m with a-shikhs on this one. She does look arrogant. But she is sad too so it may be a defensive attitude. One of those people who pose as superior for fear of getting hurt. She also seems a bit pampered something like "she has it all but that´s not really what she wanted..."

Lysh

LittleBuddha said:
I think it began with the gates and the solitude - that she did not let anyone inside. I feel that this woman likes things to go her own way in all areas of life, and not just sexually. The hooded bird in the RWS aroused this feeling more. She is in control.

But here in the Romantic, she is so tightly 'done up' that nobody is getting through to her. She makes a barrier with the physical contact of the pentacles, I feel, and the distant phallic light-house in the distance, just adds to her pushing away sexual interest, for me.

Does anyone else appreciate this card on this level?

LB

When this card has come up for me, I see the independence of this woman. Like you said, she likes things to go her own way in all areas of her life and therefore doesnt let anyone in easily. That part I relate to. Almost the feeling that, "I can do just fine on my own". And that feeling can be emotionally and/or physically.
Also, Sometimes we can be sexual without being intimate as well. With this card I see things being on her terms. And if she does allow anyone near her, it would not be done lightly.
-lysh