Vintage Wisdom Oracle

Amanda

Hello all...

Just ordered this lovely Oracle and I'd love to hear if you guys are still using it...How do you find it reads? Are you still enjoying it? What are your favourite uses for the deck?

Love, love, LOVE vintage imagery so I'm very much looking forward to it...I bet it will read well in conjunction with the Victorian Romantic Tarot too!

Do tell...

I haven't been using it much (have been pretty busy actually). However, I tested it as a Square of 9 (Lenormand style) the other day and it read for my sitter pretty well. I was actually working at that reading for a couple of hours, so this deck definitely has some depth and soul. I still have been mostly reading for myself with it, but I'm so far still enjoying it. I actually am not that into Vintage-y stuff (for instance, I like that stuff but it's not something that 'calls' to me) however, this one called to me and I don't regret it. I feel like there is still so much more to come for me with this deck and I'm barely scratching the surface. It seems like it doesn't give everything away right away. ;)

Ambrosia

I haven't been using it much (have been pretty busy actually). However, I tested it as a Square of 9 (Lenormand style) the other day and it read for my sitter pretty well. I was actually working at that reading for a couple of hours, so this deck definitely has some depth and soul. I still have been mostly reading for myself with it, but I'm so far still enjoying it. I actually am not that into Vintage-y stuff (for instance, I like that stuff but it's not something that 'calls' to me) however, this one called to me and I don't regret it. I feel like there is still so much more to come for me with this deck and I'm barely scratching the surface. It seems like it doesn't give everything away right away. ;)

Awesome! It really does look fabulous. I'm excited to receive my copy but it's coming from the states so could take a couple weeks.
Glad you're still enjoying it and that it seems to go deeper than initial thoughts may indicate.

Le Fanu

It's Ok. That's as far as I'd go.

I keep giving it a go but don't find it very deep to be honest. I mean, you can make of it whatever you will - but as these are basically postcards with a title, you're pretty restricted. It's pretty, I'll give it that. You can put your own layers on it but there's not a massive amount to bounce off.

Plus one thing that really niggles me and that I'm finding hard to overlook. I find something Christian about it. Sort of Sunday School virtues in the card titles. I made a list of the Churchy/prayer book virtue card titles and there are quite a lot (Divine Timing, Grace, Purity, Guardian Angel, Sanctuary etc). This bothers me. I find it sinister. I am not into Christianity and wouldn't seek out a deck that reflects it.

I'm trying hard to unnotice it.

DesertDream

I keep giving it a go but don't find it very deep to be honest. I mean, you can make of it whatever you will - but as these are basically postcards with a title, you're pretty restricted. It's pretty, I'll give it that. You can put your own layers on it but there's not a massive amount to bounce off.

I kind of agree, sometimes its exactly as Le Fanu says, other times i dont ever pick up the book for indepth bang on readings! It also complements SoulCards wonderfully. It all depends how you use your intution and what triggers it. Its a little different for everybody. Just look at all the types of divination out there! Something
for everybody!

When i read the book i have thought on and off that the author is christian or has a background of it. Idk never looked into it. The titles then again i think can turn which everyway your intuition can take it, christian or otherwise. So i think they are versatile for me. Plus they are qualities id like to master. Overall i love this deck and will keep it forever! Or outgrow it and give it away as a beloved gift but not till im old! It defo beats out some other decks i own.

Le Fanu maybe you can try trimming words off? Or putting your own words on them while still mantaing similar meaning or all together different?

Le Fanu

Le Fanu maybe you can try trimming words off? Or putting your own words on them while still mantaing similar meaning or all together different?
To bo honest, it would make more sense just to scour the flea market and assemble a collection of 30-odd lovely 1900s postcards. No need to exert myself with scissors.

SixDegrees

Or perhaps just remove those cards from the deck and put them back in the box?

I don't use too many oracles, but I do appreciate that (unlike the highly systemized tarot and lenormand) you easily pick out the cards you want to use and ignore those you don't like. In this case it doesn't sound like removing these few offenders would really throw off the ability for the deck to communicate.

DesertDream

To bo honest, it would make more sense just to scour the flea market and assemble a collection of 30-odd lovely 1900s postcards. No need to exert myself with scissors.

That sounds like more work than scissors, but to each his own. It seems like it be a fun deck to bling out. Oooo *runs off with ideas*

DesertDream

Or perhaps just remove those cards from the deck and put them back in the box?

I don't use too many oracles, but I do appreciate that (unlike the highly systemized tarot and lenormand) you easily pick out the cards you want to use and ignore those you don't like. In this case it doesn't sound like removing these few offenders would really throw off the ability for the deck to communicate.

True. But no matter how much i hated the cards i would feel bothered by the fact that it was incomplete. Withcthe exception of SoulCards sometimes. But i dont take images out because i dont like them, more cause i have some out of the deck to contemplate for a while, they have no structure but still i see oracles as a full "entity" with all the cards.

Ambrosia

My copy arrived today and oh boy, what an absolute treat!

Love the vintage postcard/photography - so elegant and timeless, yet lush with meaning, and with plenty of food for thought, and the soul for that matter...

I'm at work right now, but I cannot wait to get home tonight and spread these saucy little numbers out all over the floor and get to know them a little more intimately - haha, that almost sounded a little risqué!

I'm absolutely delighted with this deck and I'd highly recommend it to anyone in search of a gentle, feminine oracle deck who looks to me as if she loves nothing more than sitting down with a cup of your favourite tea for a gossip.

I bet she has many a secret she will divulge once she gets to know you better...

Delightful!

Glass Owl

I'm finding myself enjoying this deck the more I use it. It has a gentleness to it that I find really comforting.