Voyager - Which One to Buy Today?

Nightsky

I had one of the original, large size black box decks. At the time, I hadn't a real clue about what to do with it and over the years I've lost track of it.

Generously presuming that I have a little more of a clue today, if I wanted to buy the deck from Amazon, would it stack up the original? I've read various posts on the different versions and it sounds like there have been different publishers, different sizes, some runs which had dull, muted colors, etc.

Thanks!

Barleywine

I just bought one along with the large companion book from Amazon. At a workshop we had in central MA a couple weeks ago, the presenter had several different versions of the deck. The one I got is by Fair Winds Press of Beverly, MA; it comes in a slip-case box with a 117-page guidebook packed in. The card stock is rugged and glossy, and the colors seem vibrant to me when compared to the older versions we used at the workshop. I'm well-satisfied with it.

Nightsky

I just bought one along with the large companion book from Amazon. At a workshop we had in central MA a couple weeks ago, the presenter had several different versions of the deck. The one I got is by Fair Winds Press of Beverly, MA; it comes in a slip-case box with a 117-page guidebook packed in. The card stock is rugged and glossy, and the colors seem vibrant to me when compared to the older versions we used at the workshop. I'm well-satisfied with it.

Perfect and thanks for the reply! Can I trouble you for the ISBN?

mercuryempress

Hi I believe Barnes and Nobles has this with the same number that you can get brand new for 11 dollars

from the re-sellers of course

CharlotteK

I just got a Voyager from Amazon UK. Came in a black box with a small book. The cards are large and of decent stock but it has horrible borders - a sort of pistachio green with white lettering that is really hard to read. Despite this ugliness I actually really like this deck and will start learning it with a card a day.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

ana luisa

I just got a Voyager from Amazon UK. Came in a black box with a small book. The cards are large and of decent stock but it has horrible borders - a sort of pistachio green with white lettering that is really hard to read. Despite this ugliness I actually really like this deck and will start learning it with a card a day.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

If you're brave enough, you can always trim it. It looks AMAZING and the pictures burst open, literaly. Here's a look at one that was ältered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnL5STwdDUQ

CharlotteK

If you're brave enough, you can always trim it. It looks AMAZING and the pictures burst open, literaly. Here's a look at one that was ältered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnL5STwdDUQ

Thanks! That looks like a good option. I drew my card of of the day this morning and was once again struck by how hideous the border is. Its a pretty cheap deck to get hold of so I wouldn't be as worried about trimming as some of my other decks. Interesting that they left on the key word but trimmed off the number/suit. I would probably be tempted to do it the other way. Not sure. I like the blue edges too. Could be a good one to practice on!

ana luisa

Thanks! That looks like a good option. I drew my card of of the day this morning and was once again struck by how hideous the border is. Its a pretty cheap deck to get hold of so I wouldn't be as worried about trimming as some of my other decks. Interesting that they left on the key word but trimmed off the number/suit. I would probably be tempted to do it the other way. Not sure. I like the blue edges too. Could be a good one to practice on!

And here's how it looks with no borders at all http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=47848&d=1297038034

Barleywine

We've been having a debate about trimming at my weekly Voyager study group. Although the Voyager is marginally Thoth-based, James Wanless came up with quite a few alternative titles and descriptors that make learning the new system essential to use the deck as intended. Cutting them off to eliminate conflicts with existing systems kind of misses the point. But I agree the cards do look amazing, even if the person did have to hand-write some information on the face of the cards. The main problem I have with the borders is that the titles don't photograph well at all, so if I want a usable picture of a spread I have to overwrite the titles by hand on a scan of the photo.