What a horrible deck!

gregory

truelighth said:
I think this is one of the things I had/have a problem with. I did find the deck interesting, but I don't like someone exploiting these depths. And the deck also made me feel uncomfortable, being confronted with the underworld..
I have been meaning to check this for days..... I think the artist chose her word badly because it is so often understood in one sense only - but "exploit" isn't all bad.

Dictionary:
To employ to the greatest possible advantage: exploit one's talents.
To make use of selfishly or unethically: a country that exploited peasant labor.
To advertise; promote.

Only the middle one would be sickening ! Employing the underworld to the greatest possible advantage, or to advertise and promote it - both are quite positive things to do in a way.

Asher

Mine arrived today...

and I am just beginning to work my way through it.

Very nice limited edition set (signed and numbered), the deck comes in a metal tin, with a see-through top. Sadly the tin is larger than the deck, so I will look for some fabric to keep the deck from bouncing around.

The LWB, er, I mean L B(lack) B is bound in black leather, with b/w photographs of each card, one card to a page. The author's thoughts on the cards, and upright and reversed meanings are given.

As noted elsewhere, the cards are on the thin side, although with a satin finish. Since I will not heavily use this deck, it's something I can live with.

I am impressed with the work that went into the deck. It's not one I will read with, probably, but will study and meditate with, when I feel the need for something very different.

Asher

truelighth

Asher said:
The LWB, er, I mean L B(lack) B is bound in black leather, with b/w photographs of each card, one card to a page. The author's thoughts on the cards, and upright and reversed meanings are given.

Hmm, I am very sure my copy of the LBB did not have pictures in there at all. And since the cards I got also had the name on the back and Gregory's didn't, I am starting to think I may have gotten a printproof or so. In any case a different version then you two have gotten. Maybe if I had gotten the newer version, I would have thought different about it.

Asher

My card backs are plain black, no name visible at all.

A few of the cards are rather hard to make out the image, even after reading the LBB. Some of the details which are mentioned in the book, I am hard-pressed to decipher in the image itself.

I found a black velvet bag to keep the cards from banging around inside the tin...a nice complement to the black leather of the book, I think.

Asher

gregory

Black bag - good idea ! Sewing starts now (ugh)

My book has pictures in too - but some of the pages are in the wrong order - are yours, Asher ??? I should have mentioned the tin; I think the review did ? the presentation is certainly EXCELLENT.

But I am glad someone else thinks it worth having !

Asher

gregory said:
My book has pictures in too - but some of the pages are in the wrong order - are yours, Asher ??? But I am glad someone else thinks it worth having !

Nope, my book is in order.

I definitely think this is a worthwhile deck, especially for collectors (a limited edition of 100 decks) and for those seeking a truly "dark" or shadow deck.

The bag works beautifully, btw. And if the book were a bit smaller, it would fit in the tin along with the deck.

Asher

gregory

Asher said:
And if the book were a bit smaller, it would fit in the tin along with the deck.
This is true - the one thing I do have against the presentation, which is otherwise excellent ! (other than my pages being in the wrong order. This will of course make my copy EXTRA valuable in years to come... a one-off balls up !)

Statickitten

All I can say is wow.... I have got to have this deck. I feel so drawn to it. I have to have it. It's amazing, I just love the artwork on it. So sad I have to wait until wednesday to make the purchase! I like the dark decks alot though, and this one will do the job.

-Static

truelighth

Asher said:
And if the book were a bit smaller, it would fit in the tin along with the deck.

Wait a min.. the book you got doesn't fit in the tin? Mine fitted in the tin just fine. Another sign that I had another print edition. Now I am bummed that I never got to see the nicer version :(

gregory

truelighth said:
Wait a min.. the book you got doesn't fit in the tin? Mine fitted in the tin just fine. Another sign that I had another print edition. Now I am bummed that I never got to see the nicer version :(
It fits in the tin just fine - as long as you don't try to put the cards in there as well ;)

Why not ask the artist to send you another as you "may have done her an injustice in your review" ????