What cards denote a divorce or separation?

tarot_red

Someone asked whether x would leave or divorce his wife?

I got the 4 of wands reversed and the 10 of cups reversed in two separate readings for different people for the same question.

Just wanted to know if the above two cards definitely indicate a divorce or separation. If someone asks the above question, what would be the answer. Definitely the relationship is very strained and troubled, but to what extent? Can we surely say that x will leave his wife?

Death is another card that may denote separation. Ace of swords reversed ? Ten of swords ?

Really confused, because it would be safe to say with all the above cards that the relationship is really bad, but if someone asks you point blank about whether it means a divorce how do you answer that?

Would really like some help, because have had this issue twice. Once this woman was having an affair with x (a married man) and asked whether he would leave his wife as promised. I got the 4 of wands reversed as the outcome card in the Celtic Cross spread. Obviously a big question for her, but I was stumped how to answer her with surety.

Elendil

I did a reading once recently where The Tower and Ten of Cups side by side represented separation/the ending of a relationship.

I guess for divorce you might need to add Justice to the mix...

Zechariah13

ok, first point: NOTHING is certain.

Also, if the woman is seeing a married man, and all the cards point to separation, it MIGHT mean that he will terminate his affair with the woman instead of getting a divorce.

Aside from that, 4 wands rev and 10 cups rev are not good cards for family, but something like a divorce could also be represented by the Tower, possibly a reversed wheel of Fortune. I would be looking for majors for something that big.
but as far as the minors go...
if the ace of Swords appeared reversed between a King and Queen of Cups, that would be the CLOSEST i would ever get to saying something like divorce was definite.

So in general, if your looking for divorce symbols, court cards could work, reversed or no, 2 of discs and the Lovers define making choices between two options (a wife or a lover), the Tower is upheavel, Death is the termination of a cycle to begin something new, and then there is the 10's of swords and wands. A high number of reversed cups could signify it also.

i think thats all i got for now

rwcarter

I got the 4 of wands reversed and the 10 of cups reversed in two separate readings for different people for the same question.
4W is often seen as a card of marriage and 10C is often seen as a happy family. So reversed, I could see both cards as indicating divorce.

tarot_red said:
Just wanted to know if the above two cards definitely indicate a divorce or separation. If someone asks the above question, what would be the answer. Definitely the relationship is very strained and troubled, but to what extent? Can we surely say that x will leave his wife?
None of the cards definitely mean anything, even to the same person time and time again. The cards are more dynamic than that. Whether or not you can surely say something is up to you. Something that you may be sure about a different reader would be unsure about looking at the same cards from the same deck.

hazlit

rwcarter said:
4W is often seen as a card of marriage and 10C is often seen as a happy family. So reversed, I could see both cards as indicating divorce.

Absolutely.

In my experience the other one to look out for is the 3 of Swords - it almost always appears somewhere when there's a separation/divorce pending/coming up; often accompanied by any of: The Tower, the Knight of Swords, the 7 of cups.

hx

Minotauro

Absolutely.

In my experience the other one to look out for is the 3 of Swords - it almost always appears somewhere when there's a separation/divorce pending/coming up; often accompanied by any of: The Tower, the Knight of Swords, the 7 of cups.

hx

hmmm , for me not always , I mean divorces sometimes arent unexpected or heartbreaking , sometimes they are liberating and bound to happen :C
sad bu true.

Minotauro

I was actually gonna say 4 of wands reversed lol
=P
also perhaps the 5 of wands , death (divorce is s after all an end) reversed 10 nof cups could be a just miserable married life. I know than from this poset and the last one I made it can sound kinda weird

but here in mexico we dont have such high divorce rates , people tend to stay together despite the fights and everything else =P it all depends of teh situation!

hazlit

Minotauro said:
I mean divorces sometimes arent unexpected or heartbreaking , sometimes they are liberating and bound to happen :C
sad bu true.

Absolutely. Though I've done readings where separation/divorce is the main issue and exactly as you say is happening - it's been brewing for a long time, is acknowledged as a necessary outcome and presents as a welcome liberation... and the 3 of Swords is still in the picture. Sometime separation means letting go/giving up old habits and patterns <--- these can be the hardest to let go of - in letting them go we often feel like a part of ourself is dying and it is that which brings the grief.

hx

NikkiB

I've had the reversed 2 of cups come up for diVorce

Amanda

Justice, and more specifically I've had King of Pentacles|Justice|Queen of Pentacles to prompt me to think up "divorce; irreconcilable differences"... and I was shocked, because I guess it was pretty accurate. LOL