What got you started?

Laura Borealis

Thanks but hey, do I look like a freak to you?

Not at all, and if you are, you'll fit right in here. ;)

How I got into tarot... my first deck was a Rider-Waite and it was given to me by a boyfriend, along with one of Eden Gray's books. I think they had been his sister's.

Maybe I lived under a rock as a child, but I didn't know anything at all about tarot at that point. Had never even heard of it. I'm sure I knew of the stereotypes of gypsies telling fortunes with cards, but I must have assumed it was all playing cards. So tarot was this entirely new thing to me.

Unfortunately I showed them to my mom, because she's an artist and I thought she would enjoy the vintage illustration style. She was shocked - shocked! and she said "Not under my roof," and made me give them back. I remember being really surprised at her reasons, because the cards sure looked Christian to me. I mean there were angels, and the Last Judgement, and the Ace that has the Holy Spirit flying down with a communion wafer, and all that.

But I gave them back, as required. I kept the book though! Letter of the law, not the spirit, heh. I remember I hid it on my bookshelf by stacking it with same-size science fiction paperbacks, with the spine turned to the back. I thought I was very clever, camouflaging my tarot book like that. :D

So tarot was just shelved in my mind, until I picked up a paperback fantasy called Little, Big by John Crowley. A tarot deck is an important element in the story, though the trumps aren't the same as the tarot we know. That book got me interested in tarot again. Later I read another of John Crowley's novels, Aegypt (later re-titled), and that got me into the Art of Memory, and Giordano Bruno, and eventually Dame Frances Yates and hermeticism. So really I came to tarot sideways via fiction, and from behind via history. (I should say, I am merely a dabbler in that stuff, I know very little. Also, Aegypt hasn't much to do with tarot per se, but a lot to do with hermeticism.)

My second deck was a Thoth, which used to puzzle me no end. At that point I was in college and had roommates, friends, and lovers who read the cards, so I had some support. One roommate and I used to do readings together, her with her Cat People deck and me with my Thoth; we freaked ourselves out with readings on the Persian Gulf war that featured the Tower and the Devil and lots of Swords! I remember another roommate drawing out the Tree of Life for me on a sheet of posterboard, on our kitchen table. One boyfriend used to read me Aleister Crowley's poetry and wrote "Do What Thou Wilt!" on the mix tapes he made for me. I tried to read The Book of Thoth but the first chapter defeated me.

At the time, though, I was much more into nature-based Paganism than Ceremonial Magic, Qabalah or Thelema. So I got a Robin Wood deck, and that was close enough to my old Eden Gray book that I was able to get along with it and actually start to learn to read.

When the internet happened, I joined ISCABBS and read the tarot forum there. I didn't know about the Usenet groups or I would have been there, too. Eventually I found the AT forums. And here I am. :)

Rhinemaiden

I was a collector of playing cards as a child, coupled with a passion for "knowing" through intuition, astrology, divination (Magic 8 ball, Ouija board) in my preteen years, life long interest in occult subjects and forms of divination, now a passionate collector of tarot decks. I read tarot cards daily, but only for myself.

The most unusual reading I ever had was in Egypt from a merchant who told fortunes using hieroglyphs.

Twize

Not at all, and if you are, you'll fit right in here. ;)

How I got into tarot... my first deck was a Rider-Waite.........And here I am. :)

???

Thousands of posts later on and the subject still seems interesting....Impressive.

Nice to see we share one thing in common...RWS ;)

daphne

Thanks but hey, do I look like a freak to you?

No! No freak, why would you think this? Tarot in normality around here but could eventually rise questions in other environments. That is the reason I asked.

Twize

No! No freak, why would you think this? Tarot in normality around here but could eventually rise questions in other environments. That is the reason I asked.

Don't worry dear, it's ok and hope nothing of what I wrote made you or anyone else in here upset. Wasn't my first meaning behind this but reacted before as the question felt a bit right up my face in personal. I can only say that nobody is made perfect and definitely not perfect in the manner that we believe other people should be from our own taste or background and that will always be something in life we have to accept that people are different.

No harm, take it easy :)

daphne

Don't worry dear, it's ok and hope nothing of what I wrote made you or anyone else in here upset. Wasn't my first meaning behind this but reacted before as the question felt a bit right up my face in personal. I can only say that nobody is made perfect and definitely not perfect in the manner that we believe other people should be from our own taste or background and that will always be something in life we have to accept that people are different.

No harm, take it easy :)

Dear Twize, please, dont worry! I was nowhere near any upset tone or something. I found that line (I quote first time) interesting in your answer. There are here lots of threads discussing how other people can label tarot as "bad" and such. No wonder in certain communities tarot can be seen damaging reputation, that was my question. Nothing to worry, you will see, you are in a very relaxed and kind atmosphere, you will like it here. And if a message gets across different that I intended, I always can explain what I meant. I liked your post and enthusiasm. We are good. :)

auberose

My first exposure to Tarot was when I was about 12 I think. My Mum's friend, who was very into the spiritual world, gave her a beginner's Tarot set for her birthday and since my Mum wasn't very interested, I commandeered it. I vaguely remember trying to do a few readings, looking everything up in the book, but I guess a lot of it went over my head and I think after a few weeks or months I must have lost interest. Sometime through the years my Mum's deck must have got lost/donated/thrown away, which is a shame because I'd love to revisit it for old times sake! Every now and then I would think about getting another set but it was only recently (I'm now 23) that I got serious about it and bought some.

Citrin

I don't think I can remember exactly what made me interested in tarot?

As a teenager I was always looking for answers. I read about taoism, kabbalah, and when I was about 15 I got into wicca. I borrowed a book from a friend and did little spells or whatever... :) The book did mention tarot of course, but I can't remember if that caught my eye more than the other divination tools?

I think a lot of different things lead me to tarot. I remember my mom telling me she went to a fortune teller in Poland when she was young, before she met my dad, and this woman told her she would have two children, first a son and then a daughter. Which turned out correct. :) This story really got stuck in my mind.

I've always felt very intuitive, been dreaming things that later happened, got strong feelings when something bad was about to happen etc, especially when i was around age 15-18. So I guess it felt natural to see if there were tools that would help me explore this gift/ability or whatever you wanna call it.

It's now 10 years ago I bought my first deck (which was surprisingly easy to find in my home town, there was this big esoteric shop selling at least 20 different decks!) At age 16 I bought The Goddess Tarot and loved it. I later gave it away to my boyfriends' younger sister. I wonder if she still has it? :)

Twize

Dear Twize, please, dont worry! I was nowhere near any upset tone or something. I found that line (I quote first time) interesting in your answer. There are here lots of threads discussing how other people can label tarot as "bad" and such. No wonder in certain communities tarot can be seen damaging reputation, that was my question. Nothing to worry, you will see, you are in a very relaxed and kind atmosphere, you will like it here. And if a message gets across different that I intended, I always can explain what I meant. I liked your post and enthusiasm. We are good. :)

Yhea sure I believe you, we all share the same interest ;)
In the same time what's makes my decision your concern?
If I decide to take precautions in my life, that's my concern and no one else business. Whether it's regarding tarot or in any other concerns of privacy. Please get it straight, that's not your business!

Have a nice weekend

daphne

Dear Twize,

I just want to assure you once again that my question and my tone had nothing to do with any form of judgement or inquire about your decisions. It is something that connected with some recent discussion around here about our choices with regard to tarot in our life. Nothing personal with your choices and certainly nothing to be offended.

All this fuss about a simple question is surly miss-communication that sometimes happens with online dialogue. I am sorry it got interpreted this way. I am not going to address your question about what makes my concern your decisions, as there was not the case at any moment, never thought and intended this way, I already said it twice. You dont have to explain anything to anybody, forget me ever asking. This is my last answer in this matter, we are already off topic for sometimes discussing semantics about a simple question I regret now formulating.