What if a reading makes no sense to you?

lalunarising44

Hey everyone! I've been reading tarot for over 2 years but seriously got into it about a year ago. I love it! I find so much insight and it really helps get in touch with my intuition and spiritual self. However, there are times when I'll do a reading and it won't make any sense. It's as if my intuition and brain are both just not making connections or associations to that particular question.

There are other times when everything just flows so perfectly... It is so meaningful and I feel confident in my interpretations. It is very frustrating when it does happen because it makes me more confused than I was before!

how do you guys get over a mental block and/or mental block?

lalunarising44

Hey everyone! I've been reading tarot for over 2 years but seriously got into it about a year ago. I love it! I find so much insight and it really helps get in touch with my intuition and spiritual self. However, there are times when I'll do a reading and it won't make any sense. It's as if my intuition and brain are both just not making connections or associations to that particular question.

There are other times when everything just flows so perfectly... It is so meaningful and I feel confident in my interpretations. It is very frustrating when it does happen because it makes me more confused than I was before!

how do you guys get over a mental block and/or mental block?

decan

I think it is possible that the cards don't answer sometimes.
But probably we can consider that things come from our intuition, not from the cards themselves.
Well, I don't know; personally I tend to regard that the cards don't necessarily answer all the time and for every question, but it is an opinion.

In horary astrology (well this isn't the cards) an astrologer checks at first if the chart is "radical", that is to say rooted (from the universe); if the chart isn't "radical", then, he considers that the chart won't answer the question.
Therefore in horary astrology not every chart can't answer a question.

With regard to the cards I don't know. Is every spread able to answer a question? Not sure...

nisaba

Don't give yourself a hard time about it. You've only been reading a year: I've been reading a lot of years, and I'm still learning. Relax. If a reading doesn't make sense, forgive yourself, get some fresh air, so something else. Then pull a single card for the issue, and see if that single card makes more sense than a whole reading. :)

You are right at the beginning of a beautiful, beautiful journey. Enjoy it, even the bits you don't understand (yet).

nisaba

This thread seems to have been duplicated somehow. As I said in the other copy:

Don't give yourself a hard time about it. You've only been reading a year: I've been reading a lot of years, and I'm still learning. Relax. If a reading doesn't make sense, forgive yourself, get some fresh air, so something else. Then pull a single card for the issue, and see if that single card makes more sense than a whole reading.

You are right at the beginning of a beautiful, beautiful journey. Enjoy it, even the bits you don't understand (yet).

Torann

The readings that don't make sense NOW are often the most valuable ones in retrospect.
Sometimes the reader or the sitter doesn't see the connection with the cards because it is not what they expected... but that doesn't mean that the cards aren't right. Your angle is wrong. It's like reading with the wrong glasses.

And yes, relax and release is often the best way to move forward. If you really feel that you've lost connection with your cards, maybe it their way of telling you to take a break. To do something else for a while. Maybe study another type of cards (Lenormand or oracle or runes or whatever)...

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Two threads on the same topic have been merged together.

tarot_quest

I am exactly in the same boat! I wanted to post a thread regarding this interrogation.

Lately, I feel (as usual) that I can quite clearly read for others. However, I often don't understand the message in my own readings. I am not tired of Tarot and I ask about different topics.

This difficulty to read for myself is present since about a month. I look at the cards and I feel like, as you said, that I don't understand their language! I had some very insightful readings. but they are the exception so far!

As someone else said, I think that sometimes, the cards are more cryptic because it is not in our interest to know the answer, simply because knowing the outcome could change our behavior and alter the results, perhaps in a negative way. Tarot is there to help us in our questionings, so I feel that getting insight about a reading (or not) happens for our own good, surprisingly. But it sucks when you feel like your cards speak Chinese (when you don't!).

GoodnessGracious

As someone else mentioned, some readings will make sense in hindsight.

Something that I have come to realize more and more this year is that sometimes the cards won't answer your question, but instead show something else that they seem to think is more important or that you need to know or prepare for. This happens for me with both Tarot cards and Lenormand cards. In this case, the reading won't make a whole lot of sense because the cards are talking about a whole other topic or situation instead of what you requested. In the past, I used to sort of "bend and twist" the readings and cards into the requested topic or question, but I have learned not to do that but to just let the cards "speak" and take it for what it is. If they rather show me another situation or event, it must be of importance. It's worth to keep in mind in case it could resonate with your own readings :). Best of luck.

tarot_quest

As someone else mentioned, some readings will make sense in hindsight.

Something that I have come to realize more and more this year is that sometimes the cards won't answer your question, but instead show something else that they seem to think is more important or that you need to know or prepare for.

This is also very true! It happened more than once that the cards did not answer the question directly and pointed to another important aspect of the inquiry.