What is your profession and do you read reversals?

Saskia

Hi all, since I've joined this forum, I've noticed based on posts here and there that quite a few of us seem to be either writers or lawyers. I'm curious to see if many/majority really fall within these categories, or are we from every possible corner and walk of life?

Would you feel comfortable to share what's your profession, just out of curiosity?

Also, could you share do you use reversals or not?

This is to scope if Benebell Wen's theory is correct: she suggests that analytical/structured readers prefer reversals, whereas intuitive/creative readers prefer upright images for better intuitive flow.

I am aware that your profession doesn't necessarily tell which type of a reader you are, so please tell that too. Thank you for joining my pseudo-scientific study!

I'm actually half and half, because my degree is from Art History and I used to work in culture sector and creative industries, but for the past 5 years I've worked as an analyst in energy industry.

I use reversals when reading for clients to get as much detail as possible. However, I don't use reversals when I read for myself, because I tend to focus on self-development and soul-searching spreads.

tarot_quest

Good thread!

I am a scientist (neurobiology) and I read reversals.

I am an artist too (painting, guitar) and still, I always read reversals

I read the article. I am a left handed (so I presumably use my right hemisphere, and contrarily to what the article said, I don't find reversal aesthetically ugly)

Saskia

Thanks tarot_quest! I'm with you, I don't think reversals "ruin" the aesthetics. I actually think reversals can give extra clues through "gravitational" changes, such as show items that are now dropping instead of being held (like the hand dropping the pentacle in the Ace of Pents) and so on. I don't think that considering the aesthetics and analysing the spread logically are mutually exclusive, and I also don't think that logic and intuition are each others' enemies - they complement each other, not compete or override each other, IMO.

RiverRunsDeep

I'll be interested to see the responses to your post!

I feel that I am a mix of both analytical and intuitive types. My degree is in nursing; I practiced as a registered nurse for over ten years. I am currently a small business owner; it is a massage therapy office in which I provide massage as well as Reiki and various forms of energy work. I am not a published author, but I enjoy creative writing and my original course of study in college was professional writing.

I have never used reversals in my readings. I always meant to add them when I became more experienced, but I never bothered. Readings always made sense without them.

theothermoon

I'm a science teacher...

But I'm not totally sure where I fall on the intuitive spectrum. I feel more of a schism in the Judgmental vs perception category. FWIW, I eschew reversals. They get me muddled.

PAMUYA

I have worn many hats throughout my life, started reading cards in 1973 or so, my first career was in banking, rose to the ranks of AVP of operations, retired to raise my girls, went back to work as a personal trainer, through all this I played semi professIonally as a French horn player(40 years) in local play houses and our local orchestra. am now semi retired with a few remaining clients. I did not start reading with reversals until about 8 years ago when I found this site, looked into it and enjoyed the new experiences of reading with reversals. When reading I let my clients decide which deck to use and whether or not to use reversals. It's all good. ;)

Saskia, one of my husbands favorite monks lives in Perth, Ajahn Brahm. Visiting Australia and seeing him is on our bucket list.

Alta

I am retired but my education was physics/ meteorology and worked as a meteorologist for 35 years. I used reversals for many years and still do on occasion but less and less. So, under the theory maybe while I was fully engaged in science I used reversals but now that I am more relaxed I don't??

JadePixie

Communications student and SAHM - I don't read reversals, I feel as though there is enough variation in the cards.

TheProphet

I work in health care (but want to pursue work in the travel and tourism industry, though) and I do read with reversals - in some readings, not all.

jema

Librarian and I don't use them. Also mainly read with TdMs where reversals are not as obvious as in more scenic decks

also red-headed, left-handed and bi-polar cancerian so very emotional.