what steps do you propose a beginner tarotist incorporates therapy into their work?

Teheuti

HOLMES said:
3. using this just this techique limits the tarot reader ability for they are no longer doing what they trained to do which is to read the tarot.
It sounds to me like you are saying that anything other than a tarot reader reading the cards is not being a tarot reader. And only this one technique and reader/querent relationship is "allowed." Where did you ever get that notion from?

HOLMES

the answer is a simple one

when we the tarot reader no longer are doing any reading but reliterating the what the client is saying to them in a therapy manner, we are no longer tarot readers but tarot sitters or tarot listeners.
the answers of where i got the notion from , is just as simple as that,, my own head about value, i feel i am offering the client.

we the tarot readers have something valuable to share for we have spent time studying, praticing, and thinking with some depth on the concept of tarot and what have you.

I am saying therefore what we have to offer is just as valuable as what the sitter has to offer, which is why for example I do a feedback on the feedback when I read online so i am sure what i saw or said has some meaningl...
and that i didn't get it wrong.
only the sitter knows if what we have to say has any value.. but if we don't say anything how will we know ???????????.

as for what the cards means, it is dangerous for anyone who doens't know squat about the tarot to try to give a reading for a lot of it will be old school.
what happens when the devil card comes eh ?.

now a counselor who hasnt' studied the tarot or the concepts of the devil may look at it from a counselor point of view.. but that point of view would be (i am guessing ) from a psychologists point of view.
but still if a client get told,, "i don't know what the devil is,, but tell me what it means to you so can explore it " well I if I was the client wouldn't put much stock in what i was to recieve.

and so the two should be used together , by all means be a tarot listener, or tarot clarifier but also be a tarot reader as well.
that is the point i am trying to make.

Teheuti

HOLMES said:
when we the tarot reader no longer are doing any reading but reliterating the what the client is saying to them in a therapy manner, we are no longer tarot readers but tarot sitters or tarot listeners.
According to the above it sounds like you are advocating that Tarotists not practice in "a therapy manner" because then we will not be tarot readers.

This was one of the concerns in starting this Board. Most of us are not here to argue with those who don't like the idea of a therapeutic-style tarot consultation.

I sincerely hope we don't get sidelined into having to argue even our right to do tarot "in a therapy manner." I would hope that since many people do practice in this way, we can talk about it here. Holmes, you do not have to do tarot in a therapy manner. No one is trying to make you do so.

My understanding is to talk about what this "therapy manner" looks like both
• from the pov of a mental health professional, and
• from the pov of a tarotist (I'll avoid "reader").

We can also, I hope, discuss matters such as the use of archetypes, etc., and therapy-related theories and principles, psychological and otherwise.

ADDED: Sorry to sound so reactive.

Holmes, I don't know if you are deliberately misunderstanding a therapeutic approach or if you just don't know much about it. If you are assuming that my earlier response to your lead question, in which I gave a 3-part recommendation (off the top of my head) for starting to incorporate therapy into tarot, is the totality of a therapeutic method then I never mean to say that. You asked about ways to "start to incorporate." My suggestions were not meant as complete replacements.

If you want more suggestions from me then I suggest you read my book _21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card_ (I can't repeat the whole book here). It contains quite a few methods that might be used in a therapeutic manner (though not all methods that are possible). You'll note in my book that I include book/traditional meanings as well as meanings derived from symbols, suits, numbers, etc.—and I show ways that all these can be incorporated together.

Mary

HOLMES

HOLMES said:
and so the two should be used together , by all means be a tarot listener, or tarot clarifier but also be a tarot reader as well.
that is the point i am trying to make.

no , this is what i am saying.

I am advocating therefore that a therapy manner should advocate some actual tarot reading, and not that a tarot reading can't include therapy at all.

and as you say , "You asked about ways to "start to incorporate." My suggestions were not meant as complete replacements."
then we in fact have no problem.
for i thought you were meaning them as complete replacements.

i have all your books but 21 ways to read the tarot, and don't know if i will get it due to funds and other focuses in my life right now.
edited to add.
oops forgot to mention i don't have the women of the golden dawn either.

Teheuti

HOLMES said:
i thought you were meaning them as complete replacements.
I try to be as eclectic ;-) and flexible as possible. I believe in responding to individual situations with the methods and tools that seem most appropriate to the circumstances. I don't advocate any one way of reading the tarot or one set of interpretations for the cards as being right while others are wrong. I try to weave together whatever works in the moment.

Grizabella

This was one of the concerns in starting this Board. Most of us are not here to argue with those who don't like the idea of a therapeutic-style tarot consultation.

I sincerely hope we don't get sidelined into having to argue even our right to do tarot "in a therapy manner." I would hope that since many people do practice in this way, we can talk about it here. Holmes, you do not have to do tarot in a therapy manner. No one is trying to make you do so.

My understanding is to talk about what this "therapy manner" looks like both
• from the pov of a mental health professional, and
• from the pov of a tarotist (I'll avoid "reader").

So this forum is for trained counsellors who choose to use the cards in a therapeutic manner then? Or for people who aren't trained but who want to practice as though they are? I wasn't really clear, to tell you the truth. If it's for trained counsellors or those who want to practice as though they are, then I probably should just read and not post. Sorry if I sounded argumentative, because I just wasn't sure the purpose of the forum, I guess. :)

As HOLMES has said, I feel that if we try to be therapists through the tarot then: