Where the Jack comes from

Umbrae

Re: The story of the three knaves...when and how did knave (And more specifically - the word knave) become the lowest ranking court card - .

Sure, we can easily learn that it ‘came’ from the Middle English and the Old English cnafa; akin to Old High German knabo or boy. The dictionary tells us that the word dates from before the 12th century and can mean a boy or male servant, a man of humble birth or position, and more especially a tricky deceitful fellow, or a servant to royalty.

So when and how did it (the word knave) get tacked onto playing cards? Simply from station in the real world?

Huck

Umbrae said:
So when and how did it get tacked onto playing cards? Simply from station in the real world?

I think, it's happened already with the chess game - likely dependent of the language (expression for "pawns" differed). The German "knave" started as a "Unter" or "lower marshall", but developed to a "Bube" and a "Bauer". "Bauer in German is identical to "pawn" (btw. earlier German writing form "pawer", so Meister Ingold). "Bube" is also der "Junge" ("boy"), but could be with small differences also "page" or "knave" (German "Knabe" = "boy"). Nowadays "Unter" or "Ober" appear to be oldfashioned and maybe in use i Southern Germany, but in Northern Germany Bube, Bauer and Junge are all used (Page or Knabe don't exist in this context, as far I know).

philebus

I can confirm that Ober and Unter are still in use in the 36 card german suited packs, found, as you say, in South Germany. These are used to play Schafkopf and the Bavarian Tarock (which is basically a tarot game played adapted for a regular pack). My Bavarian housemate gave me my first pack of this kind, a treasured item. However, the other Germans that I knew at the time from the North, had no knowledge that these cards existed - and were even unaware that there were German suits.

Umbrae

Over and under (Ober and Unter) are not the same as Knave (pronounced ‘Nāv’).

mjhurst said:
And now for something completely different. Lets see what other fun we can have with Tarot history. Not much, I'm afraid. If one is content with unsubstantiated speculation and finding the most appealing modern fantasy or traditional folklore, Tarot history is easy and fun, and the results usually fit your preconceptions quite closely -- what a surprise. Of course, that's properly termed historical fiction or pseudo-history. Real history is work, and even when you actually find something new and directly related to Tarot history (as opposed to all the tangentially related subjects that dominate this forum) it changes essentially nothing in the larger historical narrative. So, let's get boring here, and talk about something real.

Further, as mjhurst has described (in more than the above quote) in this post, we should eschew speculation.

So where or how does the term Knave get attributed to what we now call the ‘Jack’?

We know that the archaic Italian word for "playing cards" (naibi or naibbi, and the Spanish equivalent, naipes) are still used, both come from the Arabic word na'ib, meaning "delegate" or "deputy".
"Deputies" were two court cards of the old Arabic deck: the "viceroy" and the "second viceroy".

Na'ib -Naibi - Naip - Naipes - Naibbe - Naipero

How does an englishman pronouce Na'ib?

"Nay-b"?

Homonym perhaps?

Which becomes over time "Nāv"?

Even the German ‘Nabo’ equates linguistically (via homonym) to Naip.

But then this too…is nothing but idle speculation. However I do believe there are overlooked clues in language, and the ever-so humble Homonym.

philebus

Speculation can be a very useful tool - but like other tools such as reduction or statistics, it has a bad reputation from regular abuse. Careful speculations that we don't loose sight of as being that, can open new avenues of inquiry when we don't know where to turn next. They may only ever remain speculations to unanswered questions but you never know where they could lead you to look or what you might find when you do. It's just one of those tools that needs to be marked 'handle with care.'

Umbrae

philebus said:
Speculation can be a very useful tool - but like other tools such as reduction or statistics, it has a bad reputation from regular abuse. Careful speculations that we don't loose sight of as being that, can open new avenues of inquiry when we don't know where to turn next. They may only ever remain speculations to unanswered questions but you never know where they could lead you to look or what you might find when you do. It's just one of those tools that needs to be marked 'handle with care.'
I completely agree.

Ross G Caldwell

Umbrae said:
Over and under (Ober and Unter) are not the same as Knave (pronounced ‘Nāv’).

Right. Ober and Unter mean "over" and "under" respectively. The Knave or Jack corresponds only to the "unter", not both of them.

Further, as mjhurst has described (in more than the above quote) in this post, we should eschew speculation.

I don't see where he said that. He didn't use the word "eschew" to qualify "speculation" in your quote, he used the word "unsubstantiated". To me, this implies that he approves of "substantiated speculation" - that is, speculating on some implication of certain given, and usually presented, facts.
So where or how does the term Knave get attributed to what we now call the ‘Jack’?

That's a good question. If you know the answer, why don't you tell us?

The answer seems to be complex and to involve some history - things change according to time and circumstance, which together make for a complex picture - but it probably partly depends on who "we" are. "Knave" is still common in the UK, although it is not in Canada, and I can't speak for other English speaking countries.

The simplest answer is that "jack" was (and is) a term for the common or lowest man, and was applied to the card quite early.
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~daf/i-p-c-s.org/faq/jack+knave.php

But the prevalence of the term might have something to do with labelling the cards with a single letter, a practice dating to the 19th century, in which case the King's "K" would easily get mixed up with the Knave's "K". Double letters presumably were seen as inelegant (there's some speculation for you), so "Kn" didn't fly with cardmakers who wanted to make a slick product. So they took the already common term "Jack" and used its first letter quite easily.

We know that the archaic Italian word for "playing cards" (naibi or naibbi, and the Spanish equivalent, naipes) are still used, both come from the Arabic word na'ib, meaning "delegate" or "deputy".
"Deputies" were two court cards of the old Arabic deck: the "viceroy" and the "second viceroy".

It's good to see you accept the Arabic origin of the term. But I don't think the term "naibi" is still used by any Italian. Please feel free to correct me.

However, it is not connected etymologically or homophonically with "nabi".

The derivation of the term "nayb" in whatever spelling from Arabic has been expressed for a long time, although I believe it is only since the publication of Mayer's work on the Topkapi museum cards in 1939 that it became the consensus among playing card historians. See Mayer, "Mamluk Playing Cards", Bulletin de l'Institut Français d'Archéologie Orientale" (BIFAO) 38 (1939), 113-118
http://www.ifao.egnet.net/doc/PubEnLigne/BIFAO/Sommaires/BIFAO_038.php
- especially page 117 note 1, where he writes: "To consider the word naipes as a corruption of the Arabic (or Hebrew) nabi ("prophet") is bad enough... but to seek in this designation a reason for the popularity of card games (as does the author the article Cards in the Encyclopedia Brittanica) amounts almost to blasphemy. Muhammad's aversion to hazardous games is too well know to need any proof, cf. e.g. Sura II. 213, V. 93, anf gambling never ceased to be a crime in the eyes of later Moslem codifiers." etc.

Na'ib -Naibi - Naip - Naipes - Naibbe - Naipero

Okay. What do all these related terms have to say? "(modern transcription of Arabic word) deputy - (late 14th-earlyl 15th century word for) playing cards - (another late 14th-early 15th century word for) playing card - (modern Spanish word for) playing cards - (another old word for) playing cards - (Spanish word for) card-maker."

So?

How does an englishman pronouce Na'ib?

If the Englishman doesn't know much about Semitic languages or their transliteration into Latin characters, I imagine he pronounces it "nay-b".
Of course back in the 14th, 15th, 16th and 17th centuries, the little apostrophe was not routinely included (and it is very important).

But if the Englishman were learning the word from a living person who used it to mean "playing cards", I imagine he would pronounce "naipe" (the real word, not the modern transcribed Arabic word from the Mamluk cards) "nigh-EE-peh".

Wow! I guessed right. I guess the Englishman in question fits my first description.

Homonym perhaps?

Which becomes over time "Nāv"?

Nope - the English word "knave" has a good pedigree that is attested as far back as the Old English "Cnafa" (if you don't have a dictionary that gives that etymology on hand, I'll provide a reference on demand). Nothing to do, in any conceivable way, with the (forgivably) ignorant Englishman's pronunciation of the relatively-modernly Latin-transliterated Arabic word "Na'ib".

The more important part is to know that the Spanish word still preserves the distinction between the vowels "a" and "i", which is the most basic proof of its antiquity and its derivation from the Arabic, where an 'alif separates the sounds "a" and "i". The 'alif is a glottal stop, which prevents making a diphthong of the sound (making "nabe" from "nay-eeb"). If you want an example in English that everybody knows, think of the "cockney" pronunciation of the word "water". Many Londoners say "wa'er". They don't say "war". That transition doesn't happen (maybe someone could be forgiven for mishearing it though). The missing "t" is the glottal stop - a glottal stop is recognized as a consonant in phonetics. It often happens with the dental consonants d and t, although it can happen to any consonant caught in a vocalization (lazy lips and tongue) issue between two vowels.

If you want to hear the modern Spanish pronunciation of "naipe", listen to (for example)
http://courses.yahoo.com/reference/dict_en_es/spanish/naipe

The difference between the vowels is clear. This pronunciation is actually attested in the earliest evidence of the word "naip" in any European language, Jaume March, "Diccionari de rims", in 1371. This is an amazing source for the word, because it is rhymed with other words. We know it was pronounced "nah-eep." Other sources have things like "nahip", which make it clearer.

Even the German ‘Nabo’ equates linguistically (via homonym) to Naip.

Please tell me what "nabo" means in German (any German dialect will do, preferably one around the 14th-15th centuries).

As far as I can tell, Nabo isn't a German word, and it doesn't really equate linguistically with an Englishman's pronuciation of "naip". I think the word you want is phonetic, not linguistic. And even that is pretty far-fetched, you have to admit. "Nabo" looks like "nah-boh" to me (sorry I'm a Canadian, not an Englishman, although as English as it gets racially), while I can see "nay-b" in "naip". Not really too homophonic or homonymic with "nabo".

This subject is going very far off-topic for this thread, and it seems like I have bitten troll-bait.

Ross

philebus

I guess things have gone off on a tangent. I have no knowlege of languages, so this is all new and interesting to me.

Though, as an Englander, I have to say that 'knave' is no longer very common. I am just a curious to know where we got 'Jack' from, if anyone knows.

On a related tangent, I had always assumed that Ober and Unter were derived from the original latin/Islamic all courts - does anyone know about these?

Perhaps this court card tangent could be moved to a new thread? I can't contribute more than questions myself but I would like to see it continue.

Umbrae

Ross G Caldwell said:
Right. Ober and Unter mean "over" and "under" respectively. The Knave or Jack corresponds only to the "unter", not both of them.

umbrae said:
Ross G Caldwell said:
That's a good question. If you know the answer, why don't you tell us?
No – seriously – I don’t know, that’s why I brought it up…

Ross G Caldwell said:
It's good to see you accept the Arabic origin of the term. But I don't think the term "naibi" is still used by any Italian. Please feel free to correct me.

However, it is not connected etymologically or homophonically with "nabi".
Yeah – perhaps homophone is the wrong word. I’m talking about two words that sound the same, how somebody says something and it sounds like something else – and it sticks.

umbrae said:
Na'ib -Naibi - Naip - Naipes - Naibbe – Naipero

Ross G Caldwell said:
Okay. What do all these related terms have to say? "(modern transcription of Arabic word) deputy - (late 14th-earlyl 15th century word for) playing cards - (another late 14th-early 15th century word for) playing card - (modern Spanish word for) playing cards - (another old word for) playing cards - (Spanish word for) card-maker."

So?

If the Englishman doesn't know much about Semitic languages or their transliteration into Latin characters, I imagine he pronounces it "nay-b".
Of course back in the 14th, 15th, 16th and 17th centuries, the little apostrophe was not routinely included (and it is very important).

But if the Englishman were learning the word from a living person who used it to mean "playing cards", I imagine he would pronounce "naipe" (the real word, not the modern transcribed Arabic word from the Mamluk cards) "nigh-EE-peh".

Wow! I guessed right. I guess the Englishman in question fits my first description.

Nope - the English word "knave" has a good pedigree that is attested as far back as the Old English "Cnafa" (if you don't have a dictionary that gives that etymology on hand, I'll provide a reference on demand). Nothing to do, in any conceivable way, with the (forgivably) ignorant Englishman's pronunciation of the relatively-modernly Latin-transliterated Arabic word "Na'ib".

The more important part is to know that the Spanish word still preserves the distinction between the vowels "a" and "i", which is the most basic proof of its antiquity and its derivation from the Arabic, where an 'alif separates the sounds "a" and "i". The 'alif is a glottal stop, which prevents making a diphthong of the sound (making "nabe" from "nay-eeb"). If you want an example in English that everybody knows, think of the "cockney" pronunciation of the word "water". Many Londoners say "wa'er". They don't say "war". That transition doesn't happen (maybe someone could be forgiven for mishearing it though). The missing "t" is the glottal stop - a glottal stop is recognized as a consonant in phonetics. It often happens with the dental consonants d and t, although it can happen to any consonant caught in a vocalization (lazy lips and tongue) issue between two vowels.

If you want to hear the modern Spanish pronunciation of "naipe", listen to (for example)
http://courses.yahoo.com/reference/dict_en_es/spanish/naipe

The difference between the vowels is clear. This pronunciation is actually attested in the earliest evidence of the word "naip" in any European language, Jaume March, "Diccionari de rims", in 1371. This is an amazing source for the word, because it is rhymed with other words. We know it was pronounced "nah-eep." Other sources have things like "nahip", which make it clearer.

Please tell me what "nabo" means in German (any German dialect will do, preferably one around the 14th-15th centuries).

As far as I can tell, Nabo isn't a German word, and it doesn't really equate linguistically with an Englishman's pronuciation of "naip". I think the word you want is phonetic, not linguistic. And even that is pretty far-fetched, you have to admit. "Nabo" looks like "nah-boh" to me (sorry I'm a Canadian, not an Englishman, although as English as it gets racially), while I can see "nay-b" in "naip". Not really too homophonic or homonymic with "nabo".

This subject is going very far off-topic for this thread, and it seems like I have bitten troll-bait.

Ross

My dictionary has Cnafa as being related to the German Nabo.

No, I thought the story of the Three Knaves fascinating…and I started thinking about the term ‘Knave’, and how Nāv and Nāb sound pretty much alike in a crowded saloon.

Edited to add: My interest in the linguistic aspect dates back a couple weeks…

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=78528

Huck

philebus said:
I am just a curious to know where we got 'Jack' from, if anyone knows.

On a related tangent, I had always assumed that Ober and Unter were derived from the original latin/Islamic all courts - does anyone know about these?

Perhaps this court card tangent could be moved to a new thread? I can't contribute more than questions myself but I would like to see it continue.

An interesting point of view offers the Chatto book of 1848, p. 231 ff:

http://books.google.com/books?id=y9...&as_brr=1&ei=7oNPR_yINp6KpwKYnZT4BA#PPA231,M1

The some pages long discussing includes this passage:

"Though Dr. Johnson, and most other English lexicographers,
derive the term Jackanapes from Jack and Ape,
and though this derivation seems to be supported by the
meaning attached to the term by one of the earliest writers
who makes use of it, yet " Jack-a-Naipes," that is, Jack of
Cards, is at least as probable an etymology...."