Which deck be more appropriate for Professional Tarot event

La Force

I have been invited to read tarot, at a Metaphysical fair, this event only happens a couple times a year.

I will be reading for the first time at a large metaphysical fair, there will tons of people. I have a question, it is regarding which deck would be most appropriate for this type of event.

I have two decks that I am very comfortable with;

I have the PCS centenial deck and the Steampunk Tarot (BM)

so from a professional take which one would be the better of the two

La Force

Grizabella

I think it depends on which one you're the most confident and comfortable with. Or else take them both and switch off.

Richard

I would prefer the PCS, as it is more likely to be familiar to the client, and it is certainly appropriate for the metaphysical aspects of Tarot. You might have the Steampunk on hand and offer it as an alternative, but it seems more in tune with science fiction (like old Jules Verne movies, which I love) than metaphysics, although this also could be fun.

I have been invited to read tarot, at a Metaphysical fair, this event only happens a couple times a year.

I will be reading for the first time at a large metaphysical fair, there will tons of people. I have a question, it is regarding which deck would be most appropriate for this type of event.

I have two decks that I am very comfortable with;

I have the PCS centenial deck and the Steampunk Tarot (BM)

so from a professional take which one would be the better of the two

La Force

Shade

So here's the thing, more people will have Rider Waite decks than anything else at the event so you will stand out more with the Steampunk - however as a deck it's a definite zag. If you are going to read with the Steampunk I would say find some way to work a Steampunk sensibility into your attire and the setup of your table. You don't have to be a character but find some way to convey that the deck is a part of your brand.

Otherwise be safe and use the PCS.

La Force

I think it depends on which one you're the most confident and comfortable with. Or else take them both and switch off.

I am more so confident with the PCS, however it's a close call with the Steampunk Tarot, very close

I would prefer the PCS, as it is more likely to be familiar to the client, and it is certainly appropriate for the metaphysical aspects of Tarot. You might have the Steampunk on hand and offer it as an alternative, but it seems more in tune with science fiction (like old Jules Verne movies, which I love) than metaphysics, although this also could be fun.

Yes, Yes, fun, fun is exactly what I was thinking. :D goes right in with thinking outside the box. lol

So here's the thing, more people will have Rider Waite decks than anything else at the event so you will stand out more with the Steampunk - however as a deck it's a definite zag. If you are going to read with the Steampunk I would say find some way to work a Steampunk sensibility into your attire and the setup of your table. You don't have to be a character but find some way to convey that the deck is a part of your brand.

Otherwise be safe and use the PCS.

What a cool idea, geez too bad I didn't have anything victorian, I would so deck out. lol too fun.

Well seems the votes are in Take both, switch it up and have some fun.

Thanks everyone

La Force

Chiriku

I usually gave a choice of (usually three) decks to the querents I meet one-on-one and at smaller parties. However, for the big events (which I have not done in over ten years), I don't remember offering a choice of deck, nor would I now if I resumed the practice.

The number one goal in the latter type of event is moving through as many querents as possible while offering as much quality as you can in that short amount of time---and for such a proposition, it is better to make some decisions on behalf of the people streaming through, including which deck and which (if any) spread. (Because for one-on-one, single readings, I almost always compose a spread for their question right on the spot--that too goes out the door at a big event).

Because you are wavering just between the two decks and because you seem to have an almost equal fluency with each, I prefer Shade's idea of choosing the Steampunk and "branding" yourself in a way to distinguish your stall or table from the others at the event. You are fortunate to be able to do this at a general metaphysical event as opposed to an event such as a Renaissance Faire, at which the theme and attire are already determined.

If you don't have Victorian-style clothing, even one accessory, like a top hat (or the equivalent hats women wore), will go miles towards your aim. And if you don't even have that, consider an all-purpose, era-less cape that will hide whatever you're wearing underneath and then use the table's props to deliver the feel of Victoriana.

You should still bring the PCS RWS as a back-up in case your mind gets tired of or immune to the first deck's images and needs a kick-start of sorts from the change.

I hope you report back as to what happens.

Chiriku

By the way, La Force, you should be prepared to read for the many people who will not have specific questions of the tarot but who just want a reading.

I recently created a spread for such occasions, called The Customizable No Question spread. You can check it out over in the Tarot Spreads sub-forum.

Good luck.

Tarotiana

I think party readings and metaphysical fair readings are a very different thing.

For parties people often book readers with elaborate costumes. At metaphysical faires elaborate costuming can be a real sales killer if you have to sell your readings to the public.

At metaphysical fairs usually the client pays for your readings. And many clients feel much better with someone who offers a typical PCS (rider waite deck), and clothes that are quite normal. I guess if you offer a steampunk tarot and a heavily victorian look to those looking for a reading, you might be looked at a lot, have an interesting day...and see that your potential clients turn to those readers that look more "normal."

I have done Metaphysical fairs in costumes and without, and have to say that I prefer to do metaphysical fairs without a costume, if my income comes from the guests of the fair.

If the very raaaare thing happens, that the organisator of the metaphysical fair pays you to be there, so you do not need to be paid by the visitors of the fair, then by all means wear a costume. Because the media likes people in interesting costumes, and maybe you will find yourself smiling out of a newspaper the day after the fair :)

If the organisator just wants you to be there for an hour in costume while some journalists take photos, but you still have to earn your money from the visitors, you can also experiment: Be there in a costume and see how people react to you. Afterwards be there in a more normal look, and see how ...sales of readings take of looking ...normal :)

La Force

I thank all of you for your support and suggestion, and the steampunk out did her self, I have been invited to read again in the summer I am so stoked, thanks so much

Also there were 2 other readers, they were using the OSHO ZEN tarot, that was the first time I seen this deck, I asked the other readers some questions about the deck and how receptive people were to it. They told me that with their experience, people take quite well to it. So today I picked it up. The steampunk was very much loved, and one of the readers there wants to hook up with me again in the new year and have a closer look at my deck.

ATer's your so awesome your there to help build confidence, and remove anxiety. pass it on

La Force