which deck for someone who's never had their cards read?

BrightEye

i might be giving a reading to someone tomorrow. i've known this person for a while but i don't know whether she'd take me seriously on that one. i've only ever read properly for one close friend. she's the only one i feel comfortable with. however, i really like this person who has requested a reading for tomorrow, so i'll probably do it.

i'm wondering about the deck though. as far as i know she's never had a tarot reading done. i was thinking the morgan-greer, although that's kind of boring. or the druidcraft. not sure about the thoth, which was my original second choice. i'm going to take two decks along and let her choose. and i don't like the rider-waite.

i know she's not a christian but i don't know if she's religious in any way.

any suggestions?

Jewel

I would suggest the deck you are most comfortable with, and that you think you can give her the best reading with. I see no reason why any of the decks you mentioned would not be appropriate.

femalegamer

The only thing I would be careful of would be if it someone who is comfortable (or at least not uncomfortable) with the druidic/wiccan associations or nudity of the Druidcraft, or someone who might be uncomfortable with the associations of the Thoth. (I don't own a Morgan-Greer, I can't make comparisions there, but you get the idea.)

Of course, just because they've never had a reading doesn't mean that's a problem, just something to think about.

HearthCricket

How about pulling out something like your Gilded or your Universal Waite. Both are traditional in meanings, but the Gilded is stunning looking and the one I always pull out for a new client. I get a lot of oohs and aaaws! The rich colours and artwork seems to make them more curious!

BrightEye

the thing about nudity is a good point, thanks, as is the issue of pagan beliefs. ditto i suppose with crowley.

i personally don't like the art of the gilded at all. and as i said i don't like the rider-waite. looks like it's going to be the morgan greer.

the navigators of the mystic sea would be another one i'd consider. no real nudity, neutral in terms of gender (she'll like that i think), and no religious leanings either. good idea?

HearthCricket

Sorry. I was looking at the wrong profile. Another big possibility is the Russian St. Petersburg.

Miren

Navigators is a bit abstract, but if you think that would fit with her. I don't know if you've considered your Legend: Arthurian one, but it's attractive, non-threatening...maybe offer the Navigators, Legend, and Morgan Greer (that was the other one, right? not the RWS?) as possible alternatives and let her pick.

My leaning towards the Legend may be because I lived for two years with a girl who was a scholar of Arthuriana and she taught me pretty much every Arthurian myth there is from the older ones to the contemporary adaptations...so I'm very much at home with that deck.

I agree that the Thoth, etc, don't feel right for a new person, if she's not interested in Wicca/Paganism and particularly Crowley's side in it. I honestly relate very little to Thoth-based decks. :(

Apollonia

Do you ever use a pendulum? I've found that to be a good way to decide which deck to take to an event where I can only use one, and to use for myself when I'm undecided which deck to read with. It hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Julien

I think Jewel is right, and it's all about what you're most comfortable with.

I personally have never had an adult be turned off by the Druidcraft yet -- even when they had never had a Tarot reading, knew nothing about druid/wicca. The nudity may get you a smirk or a smile, but that is almost exclusively tied to the Lovers. Because the cards are big and well illustrated, I find the dialogue with the querent is easier with that deck than with just about any other one of they have never had a reading before. And even when the Lovers show up, well, the querent has a tendency to know precisely how that card is related to the reading every time. ;) And boy do people relate to the Courts in that deck!

For what it's worth, the dark side of the Thoth deck seems to sort of scare people until they get familiar with it. I noticed this even with friends who have seen all of my decks...

I'd pick a couple you are comfortable with and then let her choose between them. Since reading is, as Umbrae always preaches, a dialogue, it's good to let her choose the deck that appeals to her, too.

Just my two cents. ;)
Julien

BrightEye

Apollonia said:
Do you ever use a pendulum? I've found that to be a good way to decide which deck to take to an event where I can only use one, and to use for myself when I'm undecided which deck to read with. It hasn't steered me wrong yet.
i have a pendulum, but i don't know how to use it properly. i'll try though and see what happens.

i think the Russian Tarot of St Petersburg may be a good second choice. my knowledge of arthurian legends is not that brilliant, otherwise that would have been good too.

thanks everyone for all the suggestions.