Who here considers themselves a beginner / learner ?

nisaba

Twoflower said:
Now I know that to a degree everyone here is learning, and that "beginners mind" is a valuable asset at any stage ;-) but I thought that it might be nice to occasionally revel in the solace of others who feel similarly occasionally overwhelmed :D

How are you going about your learning? By doing? By studying? Taking a class?

Fancy bouncing stuff off each other and sharing the dubious benefits of our Dummies Minds ? I thought it might be an interesting addition to the process :)

T
Well, in answer to the subject- header, I consider myself a beginner and a learner.

I'm just muddling along as best I can, building up my experience-base, having already built up my book-base, and learning everything I can from interesting threads on this forum. I find taking classes has a limited value for me - I find every "teacher" whom I've paid to attend classes with so far, has known even less than me. Sad, but true.

LucyInTheSky

I picked up my first tarot deck about three months ago, so I am definitely a beginner! I practice by doing daily readings for myself, and I also have a PDR blog in which I study the Anna K tarot deck.

Twoflower

yirabeth said:
So, I have joined several exchange circles -- the IDS, CoS, and Newbie exchanges.

Can you elaborate on the "CoS" and exchanges? I'm not familiar with those...

Joan

Always a Beginner

I agree with AJ, although I am probably an intermediate tarotist,I consider myself always learning, day by day. Joan

allaboutsoul

I'm definitely a beginner. I just bought my first deck...only last month, I think. I searched the Web for a site to learn from, and found this one: http://www.learntarot.com/

I've looked through that site a lot, especially the card meanings. After reading through the website for a while, I drew daily cards for quite a few days and made note of what I thought they meant. I've been keeping track of my readings in private LiveJournal entries. After the daily cards, I went for the Celtic Cross, and did three of those. I intend to keep doing readings on myself frequently, and when I go back to college for the coming semester I intend to give readings to friends of mine, too.

I hope to get the book 78 Degrees of Wisdom soon.

yirabeth

Twoflower said:
Can you elaborate on the "CoS" and exchanges? I'm not familiar with those...

Hi Twoflower :)

(Great name btw..and great series, I'm actually rereading them now)

The reading circles are structured reading exchanges. There's rules to follow, mainly about doing them in time so your partner doesn't get left in the cold instead of getting practice, which is what they're all about.

To get to them, you click the "Reading Exchange" link in the main forum, and at the top of that forum is a link to "Reading Circles". There's a sticky post at the top of that subforum that details the different circles and what their rules and goals are. You can pick and choose what suits you from those, and sign up when the next posting for signups for that type of circle comes up.

Hope that helps!

~Yira

gillian

A beginner for sure! :)

I was always drawn to the tarot, kind of played around with the Mythic Tarot deck in my teens but it wasn't until about two years ago that it really stuck and now I am progressing much deeper and feel very happy with where it's all heading.

I keep a tarot journal full of spreads, daily readings, or readings that others have done for me through AT. I think the thing that has been most useful for me is just knowing that there is no rush because I will never run out of things to learn with tarot. Every night I draw three cards for the next day: morning, afternoon and evening. I record what I think these cards are telling me about the next day, and then when the day is through I go back and see how they relate. It's been the most helpful thing I've ever done, sometimes I am so shocked at how accurate the cards are.

I also have a notebook in which I have a few pages dedicated to each tarot card. I write down times when this card came up and what it meant, all the different ways it has manifested in my life and in readings for others that proved to be accurate and just my thoughts on the card itself, first impressions from previous notebooks etc.

And yes, the reading circles are a great way to learn! AT is a wonderful place, I always feel very safe here and I know that even when my readings aren't very clear or if I'm way off the mark, that's okay because I'm here to learn.

Best wishes,
Gillian

Ambrosia

Sulis said:
I don't really think of myself as a beginner anymore but I'm definitely a learner and always will be - there's always something new with tarot.

Totally agree. One never really stops learning.

Dancing Bear

Beginner and Learner Always!!

alice_addams

I think many, many people here will always consider themselves learners, and that goes double for me. :D I still consider myself a beginner, despite having bought and experimented with my first deck about eight years ago. My living situation (religious family) didn't allow for serious study or consistent use during those first five years, so I can't really count that. Now, I have about a year or so of book learnin' under my belt, with satisfactory experience reading for myself...but very little for others. This makes me feel like a complete newbie! ;)