Who historically put magic in The Magician?

firemaiden

magic and disenchantment

Kwaw, it is a pleasure to read your post, and I learned many things. Thank you for your translations of Latin and Italian, and for presenting those quotes, they are fascinating with regard particularly to the question (long lost on this thread) of who historically put magic in the magician.

I don't know if the original question-asker, Wand King, is around on AT today, but if he were I would love to suggest that the question could be turned on it's head. Not ... who put magic in the magician, but who took it out ? Or was it absent in the beginning ?

Inasmuch as the tarot is not only an artefact of the 15th century, but also born of medieval Europe, I offer these reflexions. Since I've been gone from AT, I've done a year of medieval studies in Poitiers (particularly interested in the 12th century, which was a first "renaissance" of sorts). I was rather stunned to learn how rationalist thinkers of this period were, and how rationalist, relatively speaking, was the Church. On the one hand you have a population ready to believe in all sorts of miracles emanating from things like the supposed foot-print of Jesus, or a supposed nail from the cross, gullibility which the Church hypocritically takes advantage of by rigging up all sorts of tricks and illusions - statues that cry, boy-chorus angel voices that sing hidden behind sculptures of angels, etc.; while on the other hand, the church regards with suspicion anything miraculous, -- new reports of miracles performed by saints tombs and other relics must be investigated thoroughly and sanctioned by church authorities.

The novels/romances of Chrétien de Troyes (12th century), a cleric, and inventor of the Grail literature, tow a thin line between real magic and illusion : for a famous example in the Grail romance (le Conte du Graal), Perceval coming upon the castle of Gornemant, perceives the castle towers to be rising from nothing, as though being born from the earth. At the same time, we understand this is an illusion caused by the topography of the landscape. In Chrétien's Lancelot romance (Chevalier de la charette), Lancelot has a magic ring, whose power is to disarm enchantments - if there is anything magic in the vicinity, his ring will un-magic it. So how is it used in the story ? He turns to the ring when he is suddenly trapped in a prison (the prison has maybe magical, maybe mechanical sliding doors), to undo the enchantment and NOTHING HAPPENS. Which proves there was no magic in the first place -- Lancelot has to escape from the prison the old-fashioned way, with an ax... Think about it, a magic ring - to prove there is no magic. This is actually a "rationalist" ring, which Lancelot uses to throw the light of reason into places where his companions' irrational fears make them feel helpless.

In the case of the bateleur card - remember somewhere on some other AT thread, we explored the history of the cup and balls trick, as being one of the most ancient going back into deep antiquity-- I think it is a beautiful emblem of the fine line between illusion and real magic. It is an illustration of something that might or might not be magic, an appeal to our discernement.

Might or might not be magic ? This instability captures the paradox of human experience, since we live in two worlds at once : both in the natural world, and in its reflexion in our head, our projections, imaginings, wishes, etc. The cup and balls trick takes advantage of our minds' ability to deceive our senses. So who historically put the magic in the magician ?

It's always been there. Sort of.

firemaiden

What Gébelin says about the Bateleur

Does anyone know exactly what Court De Geblin wrote about The Magician?
Yes ! Here's what Gébelin says about the bateleur: (my translation)

The Goblet Player, or the Bateleur.

The first Trump of all, when rising in number, or the last, when descending, is the Goblet player; we recognise him from his table covered with dice, goblets, knives, balls and other objects, by his Jacob's stick, or magician's wand, and by the ball about to disappear between his two fingers.

We call him the "Bateleur" as he was labeled by card-game makers : such is the common term for people like this, derived undoubtedly from the word "bâton".

Leading all the other trumps, he demonstrates that all of life is nothing more than a dream, a conjuring trick, a perpetual game of chance, in which a thousand circumstances beyond our control come crashing together, all influenced by outside factors.

Between the madman and the conjurer, isn't mankind well placed ?​

A copy of the chapter (Antoine Court de Gébelin's Du Jeu des Tarots, 1781, in le Monde primitif analysé et comparé avec le monde moderne considéré dans l'histoire civile, religieuse et allégorique du calendrier ou almanach) may be found on gallica.bnf.fr. Here is a link to page 369 (about the bateleur) : vol 8. p. 369. And here is a link to my previous thread on the subject : Discovering Gébelin!

Attachments

• le joueur de gobelets - gébelin.jpg
    le joueur de gobelets - gébelin.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 160

Teheuti

Yes, wouldn't Conjurer be a more apt translation of what was intended than would magician (as we think of with the RWS Magician)?

When I was in Italy with Brian Williams we were being shown inside the 15th century astronomical clock in the town of Clusone. The Minister of Tourism gestured to Brian (who spoke fluent Italian) and asked him to hand him the bagatelle - a long pointed stick - that the Minister then used to point out the clock's mechanism.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/astr...uilding-bergamo-one-needle-shows-30948386.jpg

firemaiden

stick ? or goblets ?

Does "bagatello" refer to the balls ? to the stick ? or to the goblets ? or all three ?

The etymology of "bagatello" according to many dictionaries (see the TLF - trésor de la langue française for "bagatelle" and the but also the American is hypothetically from the Latin BACA (berry), which would tend to suggest the little balls (jeu de billes) (marbles).

Meanwhile Gébelin assumed that bateleur must come from bâton (stick). While an educated guess, this is surely apocryphal. Bateleur, according to the TLF comes from the old French "baastel" or "bastel" - "a conjurers instrument" - which probably originally meant (according to the TLF) "marionette" -- ( See TLF entries for bagatelle, bateleur, and bateau (2)) -- related to the word for boat, which suggests a vessel, therefore more likely the goblets)

If we explore a famous Old French dictionary the Godefroy, Godefroy has much to say about Baste (trickery, deception), Bastel (conjurer's tool), and Bateleur. Godefroy comes to a definition by exploring and comparing the usage of these words in dozens of different medieval manuscripts. He considers that "bastel" or "bateau" refers not to the stick, but rather to the goblets. I think I better put up another thread to explore all of this.

kwaw

In general terms if 'juggler's tools' then could be applied to any of all three (balls, cups, wands) depending on context. (?)

In the macaronic glossary at the end of the 1911 edition of Il Baldo I see it says for magatellare see bagatellare (to perform tricks), so Folengo apparently uses one for the other, thus his phrase 'as magicians do' could following his own conjugation also be read 'as bagatella do' (?):
i.e, in Folengo -
"ludentem secum more magatellantis"
is the same as "ludentem secum more bagatellantis"

Anyways it is clear when he speaks of 'magatellantis' (magicians' do) he is speaking of those who 'magatellare/bagatellare' - perform tricks (with acorns, cups and little sticks).

The change from nonnullisque bagatellis ludebat in the 1517 edition to nonnullisque frasculis in that of 1521 suggests that Folengo was using the term bagatellis in the original to mean a little stick, particularly in context of the type a Bagatella uses, i.e., a wand.

I was rather stunned to learn how rationalist thinkers of this period were, and how rationalist, relatively speaking, was the Church. On the one hand you have a population ready to believe in all sorts of miracles emanating from things like the supposed foot-print of Jesus, or a supposed nail from the cross, gullibility which the Church hypocritically takes advantage of by rigging up all sorts of tricks and illusions - ... In Chrétien's Lancelot romance (Chevalier de la charette), Lancelot has a magic ring, whose power is to disarm enchantments - if there is anything magic in the vicinity, his ring will un-magic it. So how is it used in the story ? He turns to the ring when he is suddenly trapped in a prison (the prison has maybe magical, maybe mechanical sliding doors), to undo the enchantment and NOTHING HAPPENS. Which proves there was no magic in the first place -- Lancelot has to escape from the prison the old-fashioned way, with an ax... Think about it, a magic ring - to prove there is no magic. This is actually a "rationalist" ring, which Lancelot uses to throw the light of reason into places where his companions' irrational fears make them feel helpless.

Though Folengo was himself a monk there is a lot of anti-clerical satire in his work, and though Catholic has clear Lutheran / reformist sympathies. One could read in his choice of 'fools/buffoons' who can't receive the grace of heaven without prayers or intercessions a critique of the concept of purgatory and those money-making abuses that follow from it such as indulgences or the setting up of 'maison-dieu' for the inhabitants to pray for the souls of their benefactors in purgatory (i.e., from the buffoons who need such, a comment on the folly of believing such).* Perhaps too, the use of magatellare for bagatellare suggests a sceptical, rationalist attitude towards magicians and magic as rather nothing more than tricksters and trickery.

Kwaw
* For those not familar with the story, it goes on that one of the priests of the fellow company prays and sings psalms for Bocalo, thus enabling the buffoon to ascend to heaven.

kwaw

La Maison Dieu

* For those not familar with the story, it goes on that one of the priests of the fellow company prays and sings psalms for Bocalo, thus enabling the buffoon to ascend to heaven.

La Maison Dieu

or, how a fool gets into heaven.

I found a giant urn inside a cavern
which from the smell, came from a tavern.
Inscribed in ink, which stunk like wine,
I saw this stupefying line:

“Neither heaven nor hell may give
a place to fools so here I live.”

Confused by this mysterious talk
I levered off its monstrous cork
and was amazed to see inside
a bearded man with scrawny hide
playing as one performing tricks
with acorns, shells and little sticks.

“Why pester me?” The strange man cried.

“But who are you? “ I, shocked, replied.

“I am as I was, but not as I could be,
if you, dear Sir, would care to judge me.
The grace of heaven won’t house buffoons,
not even hell will take us loons;
unless that is you’d intercede
with one of them to take your heed.”

“Which of the two, would you desire?”

“If I said hell, I’d be a liar!”

Though not a holy man at all
I spoke such psalms I could recall
and prayed for him Requiem eternal
that he be spared the pains infernal,
until at last his soul, released,
ascended to eternal peace.

That’s how I came to learn my lesson
no poor fool can get to heaven
without another’s intercession.

Cartomancer

Hermes the Magician

Could the Magician card be an attempt to invoke the image of Hermes by picturing objects associated with him?

5. Divination IS associated with Hecate and the Underworld... It's also associated with the grove of Zeus at Dodona and inspecting livers of fallen birds and most importantly with the Sibyl at Delphi. The fact is that Apollo was the god of prophecy (because of his triumph over the cthonic serpent at Delphi... echoes of Hecate) and he was a solar deity. But since that doesn't support Raven's line of argument that fact is skipped over. Also skipped over is the association of sandals with Hermes, but I imagine that's because he is a wandering wand-carrying God of tricksters, thieves, pickpockets, and charlatans.
Scion

The earliest renditions of the Magician card closely resemble Hermes, the trickster god of Greek mythology. Present on the table are objects of divination, such as dice, that are associated with Hermes.

Perhaps the pointed shoes of the Magician were a rendition of the winged sandals of Hermes and a possible connection to cobblers. Hermes was known for his winged sandals that allowed him to fly and is rumored to have lent his winged sandals to Perseus.

Apollo gave Hermes a golden shepherd's staff (Wand, rod), which is known as a bagatelle - a long pointed stick.

The Magician become known as a street entertainer, juggler, clown, stage magician, itinerant mountebank, gamester, or charlatan who practiced sleight of hand and deception. These descriptions fit the character traits of Hermes as well, who was known as a thief because he stole the cattle of his brother Apollo.

Can it be said that the objects on the table are for game playing, divination, or gambling?

Hermes invented the Lyre and gave it to Apollo. (Zeus later placed the lyre over the stars of Lyra, which is associated with Hermes.) Apollo taught Hermes how to prophecy by using dice. Prediction with dice was not the sacred prophecy that Apollo reserved for himself and his priestesses at his temple at Delphi. Thus, the Magician portrays Hermes, not Apollo, because dice and prediction are being portrayed, not communing with the gods at Delphi.

Hermes wore a broad rimmed hat similar to ones pictured in Magician card.

Who put the magic in the Magician card? It would appear that the artists that drew the early Magician cards used images of performers of magic tricks, although that isn't quite clear.

- Cartomancer (Lance Carter)

Cartomancer

The MAGICIAN is HERMES

Could the Magician card be an attempt to invoke the image of Hermes by picturing objects associated with him?

The MAGICIAN is HERMES

The Magician card of the Tarot is seen in the stars of Lyra as Hermes. The Romans knew Hermes as Mercury. Hermes was the son of Zeus and Maia. He grew up amazingly fast and soon became very hungry. While still a child, he ventured out of his cave on Mount Cyllene in Arcadia and found a tortoise which he killed and gutted. By stringing some sheep intestines over the tortoise half shell he invented the lyre, which was an ancient musical instrument. He taught himself to play music on the seven strings, but by nightfall he was bored.

Venturing out of the cave again, he went to Pieria where the gods grazed their cattle. He thereupon stole fifty head of cattle belonging to his brother Apollo and swept his trail back with branches. He went to Alpheius and invented fire by rubbing sticks together and sacrificed two cattle to the twelve great gods. He then returned home to his cave, put on his swaddling clothes and crawled into his cradle. His mother Maia suspected his devious deeds and warned him that the gods would be angry.

Apollo consulted an oracle and headed for the cave at Cyllene. Apollo confronted Hermes with the theft, but Hermes said that he did not even know what cattle were and that he was innocent. They agreed to refer their case to Zeus, the king of the gods, who ordered Hermes to give the cattle back, which Hermes agreed to do. Hermes returned to his cave, followed by Apollo. Hermes picked up his lyre and began to play, and Apollo, who had never heard music before, offered his cattle for the lyre and the title of the "Divine Keeper of the Herds." Hermes wanted more and was given the talent to divine the future by throwing pebbles. (A herm is a pile of rocks.)

Hermes was often represented as a handsome young man with a petasos, or broad-brimmed hat, worn by travelers. He wore winged sandals and carried the caduceus or herald's wand. He is credited with the invention of astronomy and was the patron of merchants, travelers, athletes and thieves. He was the god of contests and games and became known as Hermes the Helper.

At one time in the distant past the stars of lyra were at the celestial north pole because of the precession of the pole. The north pole was once known as a pile of rocks, with the stars being rocks. The ancient Greeks called this pile of rocks a herm as in the name Hermes.

A tortoise was once seen in the stars of Lyra. The first Lyre was made from a tortoise shell. Many ancient peoples believed that the tortoise supported the world or the heavens on it's back because all of the stars revolved around Lyra in ancient times like they do around Polaris today. The ancients thought of a tree, pillar, post, pole or column to convey the idea of the polar axis. The pole star was at the top of the world.

Some ancient peoples believed that the heavens were supported by a column. The column was once revered as a representation of the center of creation. The constellation Lyra was once at the celestial North Pole, which was the pivot of the celestial sphere around which the stars revolve. The universe spun around the cosmic column. It rests solidly upon the earth and is known as a symbol of power, safety, support and security. The column connects heaven and earth. A column is phallic and suggests male sexuality. In Pre-Homeric mythologies, the column was usually associated with the godhead, and was a sacred symbol. There is only one visible side on a column, and that side is continuous around the cylindrical shape. The bottom is rooted to the earth, and the top is high above the heavens.
The Magician represents the cosmos by standing upright. He stands vertically and is like a column connecting the earth below and heaven above, thereby being a channel for the interchange of energies between them. The Magician is like a circuit that conducts universal energy.

His wand is a symbol of the great tree that connects the pole of the earth with the pole of the sky. Some mythologies regard the great tree with reverence and see the stars as leaves and the constellations as branches. The tree in the Garden of Eden may be a reference to the Celestial Tree.

The Magician is a focus for cosmic forces. The willpower and inventiveness of the Magician cause inspired changes in the world. The Magician is in a position of power. The Magician is ready to do great deeds of destiny. As an agent of the infinite, the Magician coordinates the workings of the world. Hermes was the messenger and herald of the gods and protector of travelers. Hermes is the Magician in the Tarot.

Here is an illustration of Hermes in the stars of Lyra:
http://piecework.deviantart.com/art/SLC79-300dpi-CROP-Copyright-370485306