Why does the Tarot have a bad rap?

Bhavana

Fianic;3105039 It must be taken into consideration that almost half of Europe are Atheists. In America Atheists only make up about 10% said:
wow, had no idea about this. Very interesting.

I had my first bad experience a couple of weeks ago, lost a new friendship over my disclosing my interests in astrology, tarot, and spiritual cleansings. I think it was mainly the spiritual cleansings that did the most damage as I was basically "cut off" during my description of an egg cleansing, with a wave of the hand and a disgusted facial expression , and an "Ugh, I don't go for that....". Then I was completely avoided; it really, really hurt me for days. Thankfully he is leaving the city, and I never have to see him again.
Now this person was probably raised in a very Christian home, as I was (and I am still a Christian, I do my spiritual cleansings and other work using the Lord's prayer, Psalms). He is also gay and we've talked very openly about our crazy sexcapades many times, and he's never mentioned any religious beliefs, but this was such a huge turn off. Granted, it was probably more than Tarot, but now I am a bit paranoid about talking about any of this to anyone, especially if I start dating.

Today I was sitting in Starbucks and this cute guy put his bag next to where I was sitting to claim his seat. I had brought out the deck I had just bought to just look at the cards, while I was doing so, he grabbed his bag and moved it to another seat that was much more difficult to get in and out of, and was several seats away from me. I wasn't looking at him while I was looking at the cards, and maybe he didn't see them, didn't care, wasn't interested in me to begin with, but now I'm thinking that I have to keep this a secret (especially to guys I may be into).

Sorry to hear that this happened to you, but you are better off without him. While I think you should be able to be yourself, and deserve love no matter what, it is always best to hold back a little at the beginning of relationships, to not reveal too much too soon - and not just about tarot, but about your interests (and quirks!) in general. I think if someone knows you a little better, they may be less likely to make snap judgments about individual things. And, a little mystery can be a good thing!

Bhavana, I completely agree with you. You know, it makes me laugh mockingly when I see all these sinners, hypocrites and immoral people going to a temple everyday and thinking that they are absolved from their sins. This kind of thing is especially popular in India, where you have all these politicians performing large scale havans/yajna (sort of a ritual where we offer rice, cloth, ghee and other foods to the Lord of fire, Agnidev) and you know they have so many criminal cases stacked up against them in Court, and yet they win every time! Not merely because of their temple tricks but other means too...

I had a reading from a "pro" too who mailed me saying that I had some very powerful blockage that was preventing me from meeting the love of my life and that she would unlock the key to my destiny at a special introductory price of $ 99.99 and this wasn't even counting the extra charge for the good spell work and the rest of the stuff required for that.

As for the parrots, its more of oracle parrots, not tarot ones. They just have some scrolls with messages on them and the poor birdie just picks something after the reader may say something like "Show X what message Ganesha/insert whichever God's name you will has for them". All that is really popular and of course the area that most girls and SOME guys would go to, at any given fair would be the fortune teller's kiosk. YET, the person who is sitting there getting their palm/cards read will be getting weird looks, like that person has lost it or something. Or, it takes an enormous amount of courage to do something like that, something that is considered "uncool" (unless you are a teenage girl) and then of course, one has to bear the questions, the jokes and mockery by friends...

Comforting to know that even across the cultures, we are all very much the same, both in our good and bad qualities!

The thing that bothers me about the parrot readers is that the birds are in such small cages, I hope their owners have bigger cages for them at home and treat them well.

Glass Owl

I live in the Bible Belt and it can be very difficult to find people who aren't going to react negatively to talk of "new age" things. I've known people who seem open minded about various things, don't attend church or appear to practice a religion, but once the subject of anything new agey comes up, such as Tarot, crystals, etc, religion comes up. They get distant, defensive, and sometimes even angry or preachy. They start bringing up that it's messing with the Devil and that it is dangerous/wrong. I've had salespeople and customers at bookstores look at me like I'm stupid, nuts, or dangerous for buying cards. I think a lot of it is due to misinformation, fear, and ignorance.

One coworker of mine basically stop talking to me because my husband made the mistake of casually mentioned "her Tarot cards" in a conversation about how we like to collect books and other things. So I have learned to avoid bringing Tarot up and tread carefully. Actually, now that I think about it, I do the same with other subjects as well because frankly, I've had people get defensive about all sorts of things and their judgments hurt. One guy flipped out when I admitted that I watch Ghost Hunters after he asked me about the TAPS sweatshirt I was wearing. I also had another coworker get nasty with me for wearing a Ganesh opalite necklace. I would never go up to someone and try to pick a fight with them for what they are wearing/reading so I really don't understand why they feel that they should do the same to me.

caridwen

It depends where you are. Here in the UK (and perhaps the rest of Europe) Tarot is mostly seen as a bit of harmless fun. Although you still get the weird looks.

It must be taken into consideration that almost half of Europe are Atheists. In America Atheists only make up about 10%, it's still a very Christian country.

A lot of Europe just bunches religion and the occult together as superstition, so they generally pay it no mind.

Quite a few countries in Europe for example Italy (74%) Spain (79%) Cyprus (90%) Ireland (73%) are predominately Christian (Roman Catholic). The percentages quoted are those who believe in God. The UK has been Christian for over 1000 years although is now considered multi faith.

78% of Americans' identified themselves as Christian in 2009.

Many countries in Europe are secular but not atheist.

celticnoodle

wow! what a great thread this is becoming! :)
YIKES!! The nerve of some people. Totally ridiculous. Some of the most materialistic and immoral people I know are catholics.
:p yes, and I know a lot of them--I grew up with them, went to Catholic school w/them and to church with them! :p
Of course, I know a lot of good catholics as well.
yes, there are. I hope I am among them too. ;) :p

There is good and bad in every group. I have an aunt who is a nun - she is one of the good ones, a very spiritual and loving person - but she does not approve of my crystals, cards, statues of Buddha etc. and always makes it clear that if SHE has any needs, she PRAYS TO GOD. I guess what she is saying is that God is all one needs. She also had a reading done for her (without her permission) by the card reading sister of a catholic nun that lived in the same convent as her many years ago. The reading predicted a death in the family, and not long after, my uncle, who was in his early 40's, was stabbed to death. (his wife hired someone to do it) My aunt felt that the cards had something to do with it. [/quote]:bugeyed: A CARD READING NUN?!!! :eek: I'm shocked, really, I am! The nuns I know and were taught by would have me crucified if they knew--honestly! they thought me a bad woman because my hubby and i were not married when our daughter was born and didn't marry till she was 6! :rolleyes: what we all went through till we married! (My parents both worked for the schools too--dad volunteered and we put our daughter in the Catholic school too). they were awful to us all for that!

I didn't want to include your whole post, Bhavana, but know I fully, fully agree with you. I do find it a hard time at times to go to Mass every Sunday in my NY home area, as I do not get along well with the church here. In VT, I LOVED my church. still didn't agree w/all that went on, but it was the best church I ever belonged to. I love my faith, but I don't feel like I have to follow all these man made rules set up by the Catholic Priests and the Pope, when they are just like me--a human being. some good and some bad. its conflicting for me really.

I also get angry with those readers who want you to buy more and more--spells, ect. It drives me nuts they prey on gullible and desperate people!

It's worth noting that while the Catholic church did have concerns about gambling, tarot cards did not create quite the same level of concern as regular cards. We have examples of regional bans on playing cards, imposed by the church, that specify tarot as exempt from them.
this I didn't know. I thought especially tarot cards and oracle cards were banned. If I had the nerve, I'd ask my priest about this, but I don't.

The earliest cards we have were not titled, though the identity of the characters would have been obvious. Such figures as Death and Devils were not uncommon to Catholic art an in the context of the tarot trumps, they do not seem to have raised any concerns. Nor is there any indication that the church tried to especially discourage tarot - at least not outside of Spain, where it would seem the Christian figures were not considered suitable subjects for games. Religious concerns about tarot do not really get underway until the popularisation of occult tarot and divination - and today, so far as I've been able to tell, the Church line on the matter (in both the Catholic and the Anglican churches) is that they are not concerned with the cards as a game, just when they are used in occult or divinatory contexts.
ah! okay, this makes sense.

Many (not most) Christians don't know the basis for the prohibitions against divination or fortune-telling and when asked about the source of the prohibition they can't really answer.

I know some of the answer but you know, when confronted with someone so firm in their beliefs who wants nothing more than to get me or you to turn away from our "evil ways," I, personally, can't help but use the opportunity to my advantage. This probably only serves to confirm to them that I'm "evil" but hey, I have to have my fun. And in the end I can wink and say, "The Devil made me do it."
:p
oh! and thnx for the link--will read it later.

Bhavana, I completely agree with you. You know, it makes me laugh mockingly when I see all these sinners, hypocrites and immoral people going to a temple everyday and thinking that they are absolved from their sins.
I fully agree too! That previous Priest who threatened to excommunicate me, listened every Sat. to the congregations confessions and absolving them. But then, there he is abusing young boys!!! :mad: I stopped going to confession after my very First confession at age 7, as the ol' Priest yelled at me so loudly, everyone in the church turned to see who it was in teh confessional--my parents included. My mother was so angry--(I was 7!) that she refused to let me go again and she stopped too. I did try a few times in my adult life--but I just feel like I don't need a go between to absolve my sins--I can go right to God! and so I do.

It depends where you are. Here in the UK (and perhaps the rest of Europe) Tarot is mostly seen as a bit of harmless fun. Although you still get the weird looks.

It must be taken into consideration that almost half of Europe are Atheists. In America Atheists only make up about 10%, it's still a very Christian country.

A lot of Europe just bunches religion and the occult together as superstition, so they generally pay it no mind.
heck, I was raised in a psychic household, our mother read cards and was a psychic - medium, her mother and sisters and aunts all had their specialities too and my maternal grandfathers family did too. a lot of my cousins and so on, and some of my siblings are STILL so weird about it. :rolleyes: oh, they'll ask me for a reading now and again and share their psychic experiences, which they have often, but God! don't let the neighbors know!!! :rolleyes: I don't read for them anymore. I use to laugh about it, and still read, but decided a few years back that I was just done. I got tired of it.

MissJo

Wow, that is pretty judgmental! :O

Oh yeah, but I know the truth so I don't let it bother me. The Tarot is real and I'm not a cold reader; he can and will believe what ever he wishes, I know it's not true and at the end of the day that's all that matters :)

MissJo

I live in the Bible Belt and it can be very difficult to find people who aren't going to react negatively to talk of "new age" things. I've known people who seem open minded about various things, don't attend church or appear to practice a religion, but once the subject of anything new agey comes up, such as Tarot, crystals, etc, religion comes up. They get distant, defensive, and sometimes even angry or preachy. They start bringing up that it's messing with the Devil and that it is dangerous/wrong. I've had salespeople and customers at bookstores look at me like I'm stupid, nuts, or dangerous for buying cards. I think a lot of it is due to misinformation, fear, and ignorance.

One coworker of mine basically stop talking to me because my husband made the mistake of casually mentioned "her Tarot cards" in a conversation about how we like to collect books and other things. So I have learned to avoid bringing Tarot up and tread carefully. Actually, now that I think about it, I do the same with other subjects as well because frankly, I've had people get defensive about all sorts of things and their judgments hurt. One guy flipped out when I admitted that I watch Ghost Hunters after he asked me about the TAPS sweatshirt I was wearing. I also had another coworker get nasty with me for wearing a Ganesh opalite necklace. I would never go up to someone and try to pick a fight with them for what they are wearing/reading so I really don't understand why they feel that they should do the same to me.

Wow... some people need to take the stick out of their behind and mind their own damn business.

Fianic

Quite a few countries in Europe for example Italy (74%) Spain (79%) Cyprus (90%) Ireland (73%) are predominately Christian (Roman Catholic). The percentages quoted are those who believe in God. The UK has been Christian for over 1000 years although is now considered multi faith.

78% of Americans' identified themselves as Christian in 2009.

Many countries in Europe are secular but not atheist.

At the same time a lot of people are baptized as kids but grew up disillusioned with religion. So figures aren't always reliable.

Though you're right, a lot of Europe is still religious, but not the case for UK, France and Germany. I was overgeneralizing on my part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Zza_8qdkg

perdurabofan

Why does the Tarot have a bad rap

I believe it's because there are no secrets. Each of
us as micros of the macro carry within us all the
information of the universe. Just as every cell in
the body (more micros within a macro) carry all
the DNA information. I think people understand this,
if only in an unconscious way and it scares them.
So Tarot cards as a tool to access information would
become a target.

The security guard may have assumed you were
using your cards as a soliciting prop. Even though
that wasn't your intent, if a student gave you money
for a reading it's money they wouldn't have given to the
cafeteria.

perdurabofan

I believe it's because there are no secrets. Each of
us as micros of the macro carry within us all the
information of the universe. Just as every cell in
the body (more micros within a macro) carry all
the DNA information. I think people understand this,
if only in an unconscious way and it scares them.
So Tarot cards as a tool to access information would
become a target.

The security guard may have assumed you were
using your cards as a soliciting prop.
I don't rememer if I read it here as a lurker
several years ago or somewhere else but it post
about a wife who wanted to know if her husband
was cheating on her. The reader, as it turned
out later, correctly interpretated the Queen of
Pentacles as a prostitute that the husband was
visiting. Can you imagine how scarry it must to
be to some people that their secrets may not
stay secret?

DownUnderNZer

I pull my LENORMAND or HEALING WITH THE ANGEL cards out all the time whether it be in a library, cafe, or on the beach etc. I have never had any problems with anyone...maybe a few curious stares...even a few questions about the LENORAMAND, but no bible bashers or hostile non believers. However, when I moved here, to SYDNEY, the one SPIRIRUAL CHURCH I wanted to join I discovered had been CLOSED DOWN due to being vandalised by non believers...even to the extent of threatening the lives of the members! So, for the safety of ALL, it was boarded up and the members had to seek elsewhere.