Why is the Moon Card evil and bad?

angltatt

I love the moon, too. No matter how many bad interpretations I read about it, I rarely see it as a negative. It means very deep emotions and trusting your intuition to find your way in the dark.

Free Flight

I see the upright moon in a more positive, reflected light. (haha sorry for the pun). At worst in its uprightedness I see confusion. On the other hand I see the reversal of this card as the true dark evil side of life..this to me is the worst possble card.

I am reading a book at the moment and there is a saying in it about the moon. Of course I cannot remember the saying exactly but the gist of it is this:

People complain when the weather is too hot, too cold, too rainy or too dry. The only condition they do not complain about is the moon. When they see the moon, they sing, laugh and dance and praise it.

mrene

3crows said:
Why does the moon card always gets a bad rap? Do people fear the moon? Is there something evil about the moon? The moon is connected to femininity and cycles and intuition and the magnetic pull of ocean waves and tides. Is this bad??? I don't get it! Help!

I love the moon card. It's magnetic pull, the effect it has on the rhythm of the tides and how people are all bound by that same rhythm as well fascinates me. The beauty of a night sky that is full or void of the moon's light. It is darkness as well as light, it is lunacy or melancholy, ebb tide or flood. It embraces the duality in nature as well as the duality that lives within ourselves.

suedeheadsmiths

Moon Card

I have to agree with everybody about the Moon getting a bad rap. Personally I like it when it shows up because it's the card of psychics and deep mystery. It's also the sister card to the High Priestess. Two of my favorite cards btw. I like the feminity brought by these two cards much more than the Empress. They seem to be more free to me, whereas the Empress is the consort of the Emperor. Plus I suffer from manic depression, so I find the night and the Moon very comforting. I don't like light or the sun lol, but I'm happy to see the Sun the show up in a reading. Nothing is more beautiful to me than a late autumn night when the leaves are blowing and the beautiful moon is out :)

Chris

franniee

or tonight with gorgeous eclipse!

and I've been doing some readings tonight and the moon card keeps popping up.....coincidence.......I think not ;-)

Deacon76

I had The Moon pop up yesterday as the first card in my daily spread, and my first thought was "Well, it's a full moon and there's an eclipse tonight, so that makes sense." For me, like a lot of people, The Moon represents the unconscious and the unknown. Since I'm a writer, I spend a lot of time in my own head, so the unconscious isn't really a bad thing to me. And I therefore tend to have a positive view of The Moon (it also helps that I get the most writing done at night. The soft light of the moon seems to activate creativity for me, whereas bright sunlight tends to burn it off). But people tend to fear the unknown because they don't know if it bodes good or ill. Also, for much of the past 2000 years, the Western world has tended to have a very negative view of all things feminine, so the moon was guilty by association.

As with all the cards, the connection you have with The Moon is what is most important. Traditional meanings are useful when you are starting out or when you get stuck, but it is the connection you make that brings a card's true power to bear.

SunChariot

3crows said:
Why does the moon card always gets a bad rap? Do people fear the moon? Is there something evil about the moon? The moon is connected to femininity and cycles and intuition and the magnetic pull of ocean waves and tides. Is this bad??? I don't get it! Help!

It never has been to me. The predominent meaning for me has always been romance and even the mystery of getting to know someone you have romantic feelings for. These are wonderful parts of life as far as I am concerned. And these are how I see the Moon card.

Bar

SunChariot

mrene said:
I love the moon card. It's magnetic pull, the effect it has on the rhythm of the tides and how people are all bound by that same rhythm as well fascinates me.
I love that! That is truly beautiful and I am going to have to remember that part.:grin:

Bar

celticnoodle

I like the moon card too---and love the moon itself for all the reasons others have already mentioned here. i like what free flight said---seeing confusion when upright--- yes, that is how I see it too. though, i don't necessarily see it in the same light as you when reversed. I also like what Nerd wrote---about seeing it as "hidden things coming to the surface". yes, i like the moon---it is mysterious & exciting too- because you never know what surprises it has in store for you......

Free Flight said:
I see the upright moon in a more positive, reflected light. (haha sorry for the pun). At worst in its uprightedness I see confusion. On the other hand I see the reversal of this card as the true dark evil side of life..this to me is the worst possble card.

Nerd said:
My tarot mentor pretty consistently reads the moon card as "hidden things coming to the surface." Often these are repressed thoughts and emotions, so scary, uncomfortable, difficult...but not necessarily evil or bad.

Rin

MercyMe said:
Absolutely Greek dualism had a LOT to do with labeling the Moon "bad." It also labeled just about everything feminine "bad," along with anything wildish and untamed. These were all linked together with unpredictability (bad) and since the moon has phases and seems to compel people and the earth to act in unpredictable ways, it's bad, bad, bad.

The Greek Goddess of the Moon was Selene, later known to be Artemis (the Roman Moon Goddess was Luna, later to be known as Diana. )

Artemis wasn't even evil, she was the chaste goddess who turned men who caught her naked to stags to be killed by his own hounds. Although.. that does sound a little evil. But she was the patron goddess of hunters, archery, and chastity (some greek vases showed her dark side shooting down maidens like the daughters of Niobe). One thing to note is that Artemis was never portrayed AS the moon.

Diana has more of a focus on the chastity aspect than the hunting aspect, although both later on history have/had become intertwined.

However, while alot of the dualism of good/bad may have began in Greece (I'm limited on that info), they certainly didn't always transfer this over to their pantheons, before or after certain mergers. Heck, even Hades wasn't really that evil as he is portrayed in the Disney movies.

Sorry about this myth rant. :)