Why use reversals?

ArcanoMáximo

As good son of Venus (I am a Libra ) and also plastic artist I detest everything that wasn't harmonious to my view. A reversed card in a reading for me is like an aberration. Is a esthetic problem! Also considering that all the cards have its opposite and supports in other cards for which is superfluous. On the other hand with a invested card never is known if one must less meaning, to add, or the opposite one. In this I am fervent adherent to Castaneda when in the voice of Don Juan told ( the chamán) that the way with "heart" is the one that turns out to be more easy :D
Even so i migth use them for a personal reading, but never with a querente becuase they pay me to be clear and precise. I can't lost me in philosophical digressing for a many time. When i work with Tarot obviously i don't speak of all the thing that i discuss in this forums, course!

Flidais

ArcanoMáximo said:
As good son of Venus (I am a Libra )........
This is off topic - but I am wondering what we would find if we compiled a list of those who use reversals and those who don't, then looked at their birth charts. It sounds to me like the decision to use reversals has a lot to do with the "way" people think, the way we process information, and so forth. And there could be an astrological implication there. Am I volunteering to conduct a study? Oh dear.

ArcanoMáximo

I was just joking but yes, i agree, must be. Where are the experts?;)!!!

MareSaturni

Flidais said:
I don't use reversals because I see all of the above as possibilities for an upright card. It depends on the spread, the positional definitions, surrounding cards, and so forth.

Exactly...i don't use reversals for this reason, and because they don't trigger much my intuition. Also, i don't like to see the pictures reversed...seing them upright helps me to pay more attention to them.

Using reversals is a matter of choice i'd say, but for me i'm glad i don't use. We simply don't work well together.

:TPW Yuko

Jeni

Yes..I echo Flidais and Yuko...I don't use reversal of the same reason..

Red Emma

Reversals, again!

This is a subject which pops up every now and again. There're lots of for and against posts, even some gnashing of teeth, and barely-polite comments.

I suspect that every human endeavor has somewhere within it such aspects. For writers the subject is, 'If you don't outline your story before you begin writing, you're a lousy writer and a worse person,' vs 'Outlining a story before you begin takes away all your creativity, results in a mechanistic novel.'

I won't comment on outlining novels before you begin writing, at least not here. As for ignoring reversals, to me it's like throwing away half the information the Goddess is trying to give you. (I really am trying to be polite.)

EminemsAngelBaby

I read with reversals. I'm relatively new to tarot and reversals quickly show me the direction to take with my intuition. For me without the distinction between upright and reversed I feel I would be left floundering.....

Also for me trying to avoid reversals felt frusterating and never quite right. I felt that if a card was showing up reversed in a spread there was a reason for that and I wanted to understand it. I couldn't get the reversed image of the card out of my mind by flipping it over....it was still there.....so I embraced leaving them that way. Sometimes I will pick the card up and look at it right side up to tap into the image further but I will lay it back upsidedown and it's reversal has influenced the way my intuition has chosen to go with the interpretation. EAB.

catti

so how do you shuffle so as not to allow reversals. you go through the deck before hand and make everything upright and then what?

Flidais

Red Emma said:
This is a subject which pops up every now and again. There're lots of for and against posts, even some gnashing of teeth, and barely-polite comments...
You're absolutely right, which is why I am not going to say another word on the subject. There are plenty of threads in this forum that cover the same ground. :)

sunflowr

The Hanged Man reads reversals! ;p

But anyway, ;) I only recently started reading reversals because of my new Revelations Tarot deck. I find it adds alot to the readings and helps them get the true message across to me. I don't have to worry so much about whether I am reading into things I shouldnt. The card comes up in the way it is meant to be read to best speak to me.